Blizzard Now a Business Unit of Activision and Morhaime No Longer in Charge

Blizzard is Now the Blizzard Business Unit of Activision

By on May 31, 2010 1:11:57 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums External Link

wilebill

Join Date 03/2003
+9

March 30, 2010: In a "Activision Blizzard restructuring move", the above often quoted CFO (Chief Financial Officer) Thomas Tippl is, according to Massively and the L.A. Times put in charge as COO (Chief Operations Officer) of the "Blizzard business unit", with Mike Morhaime directly reporting to him, according to Joystiq Tippl basically gets paid more, the more revenue the company makes ...

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=128252 (May 30, 2010)

The full post has the sources of this information. I do not think Activision or Blizzard have made an official announcement. I think Mike Morhaime is still listed as CEO, but if he reports to Thomas Tippl the Chief Operations Officer, then he has been in effect demoted.

The implications are frightening. The whole post is frightening. There are a large number of comments that make interesting reading in themselves. You will need an Alka Seltzer after reading all this, perhaps a stiff drink.

Well, I wasn't all that interested in playing Cataclysm anyway. As for StarCraft 2 ... as an old SC player I'm not all that thrilled to tell you the honest truth. Diablo III ... what I'm thinking is that Diablo III is going to end up cross platform on the consoles with all the limitations that implies.

No skin off my nose I guess. The only game I'm waiting for this year is Elemental: War of Magic.

Locked Post 51 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
May 31, 2010 1:51:53 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

And elemental might not even come out till next year!

May 31, 2010 1:55:54 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Can we storm the Activision offices and publicly execute Bobby Kotick for crimes against video games yet?

May 31, 2010 2:05:47 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

This Disgusts me... Though it doesn't surprise me.

Luckily I was never much of a fan of the Diablo series... Single player felt too shallow for me and MP had too many assholes so It's not like I care If they "ruin" it.

As for Star Craft and SC2... Star Craft was great in its time... But it's time is looong past, and mimicking the same RTS gameplay ain't gonna warrant my $50.00.

So to hell with Blizzard, they just limp along on their WOW profits... They don't make anything original or exciting anymore.

May 31, 2010 2:24:44 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

SpardaSon, Kotick is a very tough boss surrounded by many tough groups of minions. We will need a very large raid to take him out. Frogboy will lead the raid!

Amazing thing is, this post was just today. Or now yesterday here, and already you have 24 pages of comments that are simply classic examples of vitriolic anger and rage. You look at the countries from which the posts were made, and they come from all over the world. This suggests a serious revolt of the StarCraft community that must be unprecedented for Blizzard and perhaps for the industry. These are the long time StarCraft fans who should be counting the days until July 27.

Instead they are intent on fetching ropes, a rail, and tar and feathers! This sort of reaction is not what a marketing department hopes to see from its fans.

Now for those who do not know, this is not a storm in a tea cup. Team Liquid is the most respected independent fan site and repository for StarCraft in the English speaking world. They have a huge number of members, many of whom are the sharpest tools in the shed. These people are capable of causing major negative buzz to say the least.

May 31, 2010 2:32:23 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

SpardaSon, Kotick is a very tough boss surrounded by many tough groups of minions. We will need a very large raid to take him out. Frogboy will lead the raid!

Do we have to raid him WoW-style?  Can't we just do it CoD-style where we kick in the front door and kill everyone with our l33t g4m3r sk1llz?  We could also import half the population of Korea over here to Zerg Rush him.

May 31, 2010 2:42:23 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I wondered how long it would take before Activision would decide it needed more control over Blizzard.  After the InfinityWard debacle, I'm guessing they want to make sure those leashes are nice and tight when Starcraft 2's profits come rolling in.

If I was going to kill Bobby Kotick I'd do it in a manner befitting his actions to date towards video games:  I'd buy him, rent him out to vulgar, unintelligent people who are only interested in satisfying their most basic needs, at which point I'd then cut him into small pieces and then sell those pieces at inflated prices to farms housing only the most uneducated and disgusting animals for mass consumption.  Then I'd take whatever was left, cram into a jar and sell it for US$49.95 on Steam and region lock it to ensure that it also cost EU$49.95.

May 31, 2010 3:27:29 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting SpardaSon21,

Do we have to raid him WoW-style?  Can't we just do it CoD-style where we kick in the front door and kill everyone with our l33t g4m3r sk1llz?  We could also import half the population of Korea over here to Zerg Rush him.

This is the only time I will ever endorse an early game zerg rush.

Quoting ZehDon,
I wondered how long it would take before Activision would decide it needed more control over Blizzard.  After the InfinityWard debacle, I'm guessing they want to make sure those leashes are nice and tight when Starcraft 2's profits come rolling in.

If I was going to kill Bobby Kotick I'd do it in a manner befitting his actions to date towards video games:  I'd buy him, rent him out to vulgar, unintelligent people who are only interested in satisfying their most basic needs, at which point I'd then cut him into small pieces and then sell those pieces at inflated prices to farms housing only the most uneducated and disgusting animals for mass consumption.  Then I'd take whatever was left, cram into a jar and sell it for US$49.95 on Steam and region lock it to ensure that it also cost EU$49.95.

And Zehdon make sure you DRM that jar so they can't pirate him. Would hate to see a whole lot of pirated copies of him out there bringing about the end of PC gaming!!!!

May 31, 2010 3:55:39 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Holy Fucking Crap!!! (Sorry but this deserved the language) I just read that entire external link.

I am not generally one to take any particular story in the news at face value. But the sheer amount of volume of absolutely insane, evil overlordish, underhanded, greedy, grasping, dominating, Bullshit that guy pulled.

Wow where to start.

The End User Agreement for Battlenet.

The CoD developer firing

The taking the fun out of making video games.

Even if I was to only take each article with a grain of salt. there are enough grains to bury me alive in there. As much as I hate to admit it, and as much as I hate to say I won't buy a video game that I like becuase those who would profit off it are so scummy that I would rather do without than allow them to gain from me. I am seriously questioning if I am purchasing SC2.

I remember in some other thread here I spoke up against blizzard bashing. I have to officially say I think I just changed my toon. While blizzard may have put out some of the best work out there in a long long time. Here I am going to have to condemn on pure association.

Activision's CEO has just made it to the top of my most Hated Corporate Head Asshole List.

May 31, 2010 6:15:46 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

geez...business is business but i cant see how this bodes well for anyone.

May 31, 2010 6:21:54 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The end is nigh.

Kotick has a reverse midas touch, he destroys any game franchise he touches. Activision already has several franchises in trouble, and they killed one of their best studios in IW. Now they're going to try to screw up Blizzard too, by putting people who have absolutely no idea what they're doing in charge.

May 31, 2010 6:36:56 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Looks like Blizzard is joining the ranks of Westwood, Maxis, Origin and Bullfrog. R.I.P.

May 31, 2010 6:49:31 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

May 31, 2010 10:33:16 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I am completely shocked Activision made these moves shortly before the SC2 release.  Can't wait to see $15 DLC map packs for SC2.  And suddenly the $60 x 3 cost scheme for SC2 makes sense.  Oh well, guess I'll be taking an extended break from the RTS genre then.

And I assume this means Diablo 3 will have a monthly fee to play this time around now.

May 31, 2010 1:02:21 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

$180 is cheap at the price! Here is what has the international e-sports community upset:

In each region (I'm not sure how many there are) there is one unified BattleNet server. If you have set up your account in that region then you can only play against people in that region. No cross region play.

But competitions usually run across regions. e-sports is international. So, if you want to play someone in another region then either you have to buy a new account at full price for that region, or the other player has to buy a new account in your region.

Just five regions and you have spent $300 x 3 chapters = $900.00 US Dollars, even much more if Euros or other currency since they do not adjust the price "overseas." Plus competition map packs, say another $100. Plus things I haven't thought of.

As the monkey said when he peed in the cash register, "This is going to run into real money pretty quick!"

June 2, 2010 5:17:10 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Kotick is a plague on the Video Game Industry and he must be stopped before gaming is destroyed forever .

June 3, 2010 11:13:27 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

To him, it's all just business. And increasing shareholder's stock's worth. That's it.

June 3, 2010 12:19:25 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thank god for companies like stardock

they are the only hope while EA, Activison, Steams of the world try their damnedest to run any fun in gaming into the the fcuking ground.

June 3, 2010 12:31:19 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

That post had a picture I find especially descriptive of both Kotick and his actions:

As Darth Vader, he's running an evil empire (Activision), and his strangling is what he does to every IP Activision gets its hands on.  I think we should now refer to him by his proper name and title of "Darth Kotick".

June 3, 2010 2:36:30 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The man choking is perhaps Mike Morhaime. Guy on the right must be Tippl.

Very sad how this has turned out for Blizzard. I did enjoy the original World of WarCraft; and still like StarCraft Broodwar, Diablo 2 Lord of Destruction, and WarCraft III The Frozen Throne.

StarCraft 2 comes out in 3 pieces. At least in theory. After the PC release of Wings of Liberty, Kotick may see more profit to be made in developing the next two chapters of SC2 for console. Diablo III may get diverted to console as well. Maybe there will be PC ports and then again maybe not.

Somewhere along the road, Vader's Foul Stench begins to drive off Blizzard's talented people. Then those who can get out will get out while the getting is good. This will further erode player confidence. How steep is the slippery slope? Hard to say, when the man calling the shots is motivated purely by greed unmixed with anything resembling common sense, or any interest in product quality or player satisfaction.

June 3, 2010 2:40:35 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Join with me brothers, for we must form the resistance.

June 3, 2010 11:41:36 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

PST Tell for Bobby Kotick Raid Invite

June 4, 2010 12:55:03 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting SpardaSon21,
That post had a picture I find especially descriptive of both Kotick and his actions:

Reduced 89%Original 640 x 312

As Darth Vader, he's running an evil empire (Activision), and his strangling is what he does to every IP Activision gets its hands on.  I think we should now refer to him by his proper name and title of "Darth Kotick".

That is an insult to Vader and hes ordered that pic to be destroyed.

And hes also odered kotick to be destroyed by slowly being dipped in 100% pure sulfuric acid

June 4, 2010 1:04:11 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Perhaps a hint of things to come. Activision-Blizzard has published Blur for the PC, XBox 360, and PS2. Blizzard had nothing to do with it, but their name is associated with it anyway as publisher. Now if Activision decides to publish War of the Interstellar Belly Button Lint, Blizzard's name gets dragged along.

The developer is Bizarre Creations who did the Project Gotham Racing series on the XBox. PGR2 was one of only two games I've ever played on a console, but I really liked it. Blur has gotten generally favorable reviews, around 8'ish out of 10'ish. But a casual perusal of various forums reveals that 1) it takes a real honk of a machine to run the PC version 2) even if you have a real honk of a machine there may be frame rate problems 3) and a user interface that wasn't really ready for PC release. It doesn't seem to like ATI cards at all. Clearly some mysterious force pushed it out the door before its time.

Here is a nice video review of Blur for you. Must admit it is ... uh ... different ... yes different is the word ... from other racing games. That other driver pulling into the lead? Well, just blast that sucker with a missile! Sins of a Project Gotham Racing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHunhevXQhw

Feedback on the forums suggests that the game play itself was not really perfected. But what they had is what you get. Not Blizzard's ideal of "we release it when it's ready." No, not at all. But Blizzard's name is on the box anyway.

June 4, 2010 9:38:23 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Good point.  I guess Activision are playing their Ace in the Hole; the good will of the Blizzard name.  Blizzard has more fans than just about any other single developer in the world save maybe for Nintendo.  I suppose Activision are hoping that buys them in with fans.  "Hey Kids, look at this new game from Activision Blizzard - the makers of Diablo, Starcraft and World of Warcraft!"

June 4, 2010 8:04:26 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

With plenty of great strategy and RPG games we don't need StarCraft and Diablo anymore.

Blizzard was a great company back in 1996-2000. Now it was consumed by Activision.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000078   Page Render Time: