Sword of the Stars - I am a bit lost

By on May 16, 2010 2:51:13 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

joasoze

Join Date 02/2006
+39

Hi there!

I finally caved in and bought Sword of the Stars (with a couple of expansions). I have looked at a couple of tutorials and played for an hour or two. I have a few questions that I would like to ask the great ppl of this forum:

1. My first planet (the one I start with) is always awsome and can produce a couple of ships a turn from the start. Is there any reason not to spam colonyships (with tank ships) from the start?

2. The planets that I colonize have very little production and will take very long to develop as far as I can see. Is there anything I can do to transfer people or other stuff to get my colonies up and running faster?

3. I killed an Alien derelict (or something of the sorts) with some torpedo that I researched. As far as I can see I got no kind of reward for this. In other games you get access to tech, a good planet or something. Are they there just to be in the way of expansion?

4. Any other tips are welcomed!

Locked Post 40 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
May 16, 2010 3:39:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

1- Nope. I build a few scouts to initially find the good planets, then I build a few armor ships + colony + tankers. Revel in the glory of your capital city

2- Yes... you can colonize with multiple colony ships to give it a larger initial population (making it Terraform and reach Industrial Capacity faster). You can also research things that make Terraforming faster or increase the threshold of your Climate Hazards. When you want to colonize a planet, you should make sure it's Climate Hazard is as small as possible so that it becomes useful faster and starts as a smaller drain on your economy. 

The climate hazard works as a circle, and each race has a different "optimal" point on that circle. Liir love ocean planets, Morigii hate them. Zu'ul and Humans both prefer terrestial planets and so they can quickly colonize eachothers planets in war. And so on. 

3- This is not the internet! But seriously, you don't get rewarded for killing things. It's just random events, like all the other terrible things you'll find. There are hundreds of unique events and some have tiny tiny percent chances of occuring (1 in a thousand games). If you don't like it, you can turn it off. 

However, the Meteor one you can capture and take over if you spend Research Points on it as a "special project". 

May 16, 2010 3:47:14 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

colony ships are slightly expensive and fragile, pop when hitting any random encounter (if you're over 0%) so it's good to have extended range ships ahead of them. (plus tankers have a set number of 'ships' worth of fuel- so tankers + ERs go much further on one tank)

you can overextend easily, for the zuul having half your budget on colony costs at the start is possible for rapid expansion. For the other races aim for the big planets, cheap planets or the rich planets... pop cap is dep on size, which determines part of the output and how easy it is to defend later so size matters.

Send more colony ships, with biomes+suspended animation later you can send several, each ship provides a useful population boost but also increases the infrastructure by a little, which can kick start your production if you send many.

(also if the climate hazzard is high you can't rely on the planets natural growth rate, because it's significantly affected by CH)

Alien derelicts can be stripped for a general boost to your research (+25% for 4 turns?) (you target each turret in turn and blow them off) or destroyed for a tiny boost in research (1 turn only) boosts stack with killing VN probes and other research bonuses

Check the kerberos forums:
http://www.kerberos-productions.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=1
there's lots of stuff... although i'm only watching in the background over there.

best tips... scout a large amount send 3+ERs with each tanker with tankers and colony ships behind, then you can split the ERs in three+ directions when the tanker is empty to scout a little faster

sensor view can be helpful to use often just for a clear idea of what you can and cannot see (and is boosted by sensor research, deepscan ships are always useful, defense and offense)

Trade view can help you have a solid point of reference in a landscape otherwise devoid of reference points (large sphere is bad for this)

May 16, 2010 3:49:51 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

man, this game is quite tough for beginners (i almost trew it away after my two first games). Go to the wiki of sword of the stars (http://sots.rorschach.net/Beginner%27s_Guide) and don't forget to read the articles about the economy, research and colonizing, it should help.

Good luck !

May 16, 2010 4:09:13 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Aren't the random events there to help 'balance' the early game?

e.g, if the AI or other players are involved in a lot of skirmishes, those that are having a more peaceful time are more likely to experience random Von Neuman attacks etc, etc.

Either way, its worth having a small defence fleet at all times. I usually build a couple of Armors (about 4 or so) and then station them on my early, developing colonies.

May 16, 2010 4:19:33 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thanks guys! This forum is the best!

May 16, 2010 4:33:39 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Well, if you want help with SotS the best place to look would be the Kerberos forums since they are the developers.  And its like the only place on the Internet that has mods for SotS so if you want those going there is pretty much mandatory.  Just beware of Mecron's (the lead developer) massive ego and ridiculously huge snark.

May 16, 2010 4:45:58 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I just started playing SotS, as well, and I've learned early that keeping your savings balance above 1,000,000 is vital.  My first game ended in disaster due to morale problems, and I couldn't figure out for the life of me what was wrong, since morale isn't covered in the Tutorial or the accompanying videos.  That 1,000,000 savings gives a +1 per turn morale bonus to all your civilian populations, and 5,000,000 gives a +2.  Absolutely essential, and the most-important-least-obvious lesson I've learned from the game so far.

May 16, 2010 5:06:14 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I could go to the Kerebos forums and register, but I find this forum an infinite source of wisdom Dont have to register for each game I want to talk about either.

May 16, 2010 6:16:15 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

One thing to suggest would be to play each race a few times, you don't know the problems or benefits of each FTL drive until you use them. (and ship section strengths, tech-tree bias, counters and what the CNC ships look like for target practice) 

Hivers can be tricky but still a lot of fun, remember that having undefended gates is just asking to lose that planet to randoms or fast invasions... at sub-light speeds it's a long trip to get it back. Despite the expansion weakness (although it's hardly a weakness arriving with a 'scout' fleet of armours, gates, tankers and CNCs), being able to send your gate capacity of ships from your factories directly to the front line makes your defence impressive and allows you to play around with insta-mining ships, insta-colonising, nearinstaconstructing etc.

Zuul... they took me a while to get used to... overharvesting all the time, you just have to adapt to the burning wave of expansion and try not to turtle at all if you can help it. You can still mine and send the res back if you want a factory well within your control... just remember you get a temporary 1turn res-boost and only 25% of mined res stays as a permenant fixture... so build something fun while the temp res allows it

Morrigi are just beautiful to play as, CR and DN with all those beams slicing through the enemy and as many drones as you could wish for... against a ballistic heavy race they just get spin like crazy without shielding though, still amazing to look at IMHO

Liir are impressive for the flicker drive lacking inertia... so mass weapons don't move them around much, if at all... it makes aiming weapons much easier so go for big guns and focus fire on your target without worrying about swinging around and slicing through your own ships

Human... lots of guns... engines are like giant 'hit me' signs... one race I have yet to play many games as

Same with tarkas... although I think the problem with tarkas is that they seem similar to liir but with the less impressive engines... get stronger ships with living steel and the odd unique thing like hunters... although liir get better shields and protectorates... may need to test humans and tarkas more it seems

It's funny... I've played this game quite a few times now but I still haven't really explored all the races... it's surprising what you can do with a shared tech tree with only 1 completely unique branch per race... i think the best bit is always being able to salvage enemy techs... stealing techs when you've lost out on the tech lottery and taking the game back kicking and screaming turning each races techs against the others is fun. While annoyingly slow to help stop it from being overpowering... still, played progression wars as zuul the other day (I just wanted to bring a devourer to a new region of space and RP the invading aliens with a fleet of tiny destroyers churned out of a devourer moving from planet to planet... which was slightly less fun as by the time you have a devourer you also have several DNs killing everything anyway)

Sorry... ramble... but yes, it's a good game... the other forums are good and active... but it'd be nice to discuss things here too... like, what's good about the tarkas?

May 16, 2010 6:16:28 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Yes well, the KP forum is an even larger source of wisdom than here for SotS-related goodness.  You also get regular dev interaction, and I don't mean like the occasional post by Frogboy, I mean the devs actually getting in and mucking around on the forums like regular Joes, if regular Joes had admin-level power.

May 17, 2010 5:32:59 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Tarkas.... faster than the Liir when fighting around a planet, weapon placement favors a stronger alpha-strike, better odds (as I recall) for ballistic techs.... I believe they also end up with the most efficient FTL, giving them greater range. Decent odds at armour techs place them between the Humans and Hivers for toughness. I could be wrong, though, I was more of a Liir player. All-in-all, the Tarka are the standard "generic" race. Humans, for once, aren't.

Instead Humans have the MOO3 style FTL, extremely fragile engine sections, broadside-style weapon mounts, and a few oddities such as the Node Missile. By comparison, Tarka should be a lot easier for a new player to get a handle on, as they have no real strengths or weaknesses.

But.. yeah... go Liir. Cloaked Bio-missiles are your friend. Who needs armour when you are invisible?

May 17, 2010 8:49:01 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'd reccomend visiting the Keberos forums, as mentioned above the Dev's and the writer love to answer questions about the game, especially the writer, I think she's given in-depth answers to pretty much everything involving the lore - like what the other races think of each others food, all sorts of crazy stuff

May 17, 2010 11:17:16 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Morale can be a PITA, but if you cannot get to the 1M mark and keep it there (i usually can't once I begin war mongering) Push for Fusion so that you can build the police cutters which negate the first -1 morale at each system you put them at (so yeah, put one, more still counts as only one, at each colony).

Remember that you can put different species on your colonies as well, though you have to research up the language tree pretty far to get them to spread, but it helps with income (and production to a lesser extent) as well as lessening the resource drain on your over  popped systems (or you can just keep your pop slider to where there is no resource drain, but then you lose morale).

Researching Trade early can be a big boost as well, though if you are struggleing to keep everyone out of your area it won't help as much.

SotS is really an awesome game.

May 17, 2010 1:43:09 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

But.. yeah... go Liir. Cloaked Bio-missiles are your friend. Who needs armour when you are invisible?

*cough*Deep Scan*cough*

May 17, 2010 4:43:40 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

You can't make your colonies invisible, so you still need something to stop any aggression targeted at you.

I've *never* researched cloaking, and only researched plague so I could research the antidote.

Just pack your ships full of guns and blow stuff up

Then again I usually don't play Liir...

May 17, 2010 5:43:43 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Liir are nasty with cloaking, since you won't be able to see them on the strategic map unless you have Tunneling Sensors and a Electronic Warfare section on a Dreadnought or a Sensor station.  That means your ships won't know about the incoming ships until they reach the planet and start a combat round, so your ships could be on the other side of the planet unless you use the Defense Manager to manually assign your ships where you think they're coming from.

However, sensor satellites (added in ANY) can be used to detect cloaked Liir in tactical so they can't sneak around your fleet to launch the biomissiles.  And once you detect cloaked Liir, they die easily to stuff like Heavy Planet Missiles (also in ANY), or you could have drone satellites (also in ANY) or just good ol' fashioned torpedo defense platforms to do a long-range strike against the cloaked Liir.  Just be sure your defense platforms have Gauss or Phaser PD since Laser PD is not very effective against stuff like Biomissiles and Siege Drivers.

May 18, 2010 2:17:49 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Deep scan and other techs, admittedly, make my poor cloaked ships drop a lot faster, but I stick with it. With the right fleet, you can still get a few bio-missiles to impact. As for plaques, I'm happppppy if I get assimilation. Who needs to glass a planet?

Although, playing Liir in combat is a lot better now with a better keep at range order.

May 18, 2010 12:12:15 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Damn Fish.  We apes are better since we have two colonies to your one by the time our empires meet thanks to our Node drives.

September 29, 2010 6:44:44 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

So, how would you compare SotS to SoaSE?

September 29, 2010 6:57:44 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

SoaSE is more like Starcraft with ships, SotS is more like Total War in space.

SoaSE is real-time in both strategic and tactical parts (which are integrated quite nicely), SotS has turn based strategic side with resource management similar to MoO 1. SotS tactical combat is real-time, but with great depth. More like Homeworld than your typical RTS.

Personally I prefer SotS, but your mileage may vary. SoaSE is probably better for multiplayer.

September 29, 2010 7:23:10 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting MOIISKA,
So, how would you compare SotS to SoaSE?

SotS is much better, IMHO. In my chart, it is even higher than GC2 or MoO3. And there's SotS2 announced for 2011.

September 29, 2010 8:51:38 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Send more colony ships, with biomes+suspended animation later you can send several, each ship provides a useful population boost but also increases the infrastructure by a little, which can kick start your production if you send many.

(also if the climate hazzard is high you can't rely on the planets natural growth rate, because it's significantly affected by CH)

I'm just getting into SotS too (even though I've owned it longer). Thank you! This will help with the new colonies.

September 30, 2010 5:35:31 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting DKL,
SotS is much better, IMHO. In my chart, it is even higher than GC2 or MoO3.

Dude, that's not much of a comparison.  Just about every 4x game ever released is better than MOO3.    

September 30, 2010 6:17:05 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

A problem is tanking economy and/or morale; if you get one you will also get the other.

The main cause is that a colony under production is a drain on your economy. So, if you start out by making 6 new colonies with only the capital world, you risk getting more upkeep than income. That will empty out your treasury fast, and your planets' morale will fall as well. This is bad, and leads to abandoned colonies and rebellion on the rest. Not a good thing. This is the main challenge and the main reason for the advice to keep income at >1 mill. (At >5 mill is even better, as you then start to gain morale on every planet at a nice rate.).  This problem has become less in newer versions but it depends a lot on setting as well. Just keep an eye on the light blue slice of the economy.

1: With destroyers you can research stasis chambers or whatsittsname. This lets your colony ships carry a lot more people. More population = grows faster, but don't overdo it or they start to starve without infrastructure. 5 colony ships per colony seems good to me.

2: With cruisers you can research biotransfer. That gives you cruiser - sized colony ships that will start the target planet out with a bit of industry and infrastructure. Now, colonizing will be much less painful.

3: Alien Derelicts and other space hazards: Some of them give bonuses if you interact with them in a special way. (Special projects to convert asteroid bases, e.g.). Alien Derelicts give a lot of research points, I believe, if you disable instead of destroy them. Or so I've read on the wiki; I never did manage to do so myself.

Personally, I play SoTS for a single player campaign, SoaSE for a multiplayer game.  I like designing ships, but I doubt my fellow players would want to wait for me to do so.

September 30, 2010 9:32:52 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

More interesting info.  The more I read/hear about this game... the more interested I become.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000390   Page Render Time: