Scratch Civ V off my buy list.

By on May 6, 2010 8:30:04 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Alstein

Join Date 07/2004
+54

http://store.steampowered.com/news/3792/

I wonder if this means Brad Wardell will stop working with Civ V.

I just can't support DRM, that while not TOO bad, helps enforce a near-monopoly.  This may be a blow to the other DD providers- as this is the biggest game to do this so far.

Hopefully EWOM is everything I want, because now I'm relying on it.

(Note: I do use Steam, I just won't support being forced to use it on non-Valve products)

Locked Post 726 Replies +2
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
May 6, 2010 8:48:14 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Noooooo! *Goes to the corner and cries*

May 6, 2010 8:59:58 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Good news! That means I have more money for other game(s)!*

Also, Civ Mod for EWoM in 3, 2, 1...

* trying to follow the advice of one of my ex-bosses about always trying to find the good side of e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g.

May 6, 2010 9:19:52 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

If that's not the perfect way to give the middle finger to a large part of the potential market, then I honestly have no idea what is. I'd have vastly preferred 2K utilizing GfWLive instead, even.

May 6, 2010 9:41:26 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

ITT: OH NOES SOMEBODY MADE A BUSINESS DEAL AND I DONT LIKE IT.  Time to cry myself to sleep again after throwing a fit.

May 6, 2010 9:53:33 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting RAWRRRR,
ITT: OH NOES SOMEBODY MADE A BUSINESS DEAL AND I DONT LIKE IT.  Time to cry myself to sleep again after throwing a fit.

May 6, 2010 10:09:50 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm not crying, I'm just not buying.

Our rights are only as strong as our willingness to do it.  Besides, as people are saying above, we got EWOM.

My wondering is what Brad Wardell is going to do about it- this is  a slap in the face to Stardock (and Paradox)

May 6, 2010 10:11:39 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting RAWRRRR,

ITT: OH NOES SOMEBODY MADE A BUYING DECISION AND I DONT LIKE IT.  Time to troll the forums again after throwing a fit.

Fixed.

----------------------

As for the news, I don't like pre-order bonus in general and I don't like steamworks. Oh well, looks like I've gotta stay an Elemental fanboy then.

May 6, 2010 10:17:56 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I'm happy to say I have no idea what everyone in this thread's issue is.

May 6, 2010 10:25:00 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Haree78,
I'm happy to say I have no idea what everyone in this thread's issue is.

This means Valve has kept anyone else from being able to sell this game, especially Stardock.  Anticompetitive behavior.

May 6, 2010 10:25:07 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Wait what is the problem with this?

Steam has really good matchmaking servers, the auto-updating is nice and being able to download it to any computer is awesome. Steam has really good features for games, I know of a few awesome indie games that got a huge boost from the steam digital distribution. So what is really the problem here?

I believe that to say. "because a game is only being offered in one way or at one store I don't like it," is quite silly. Perhaps I am the only one who can remember a time when you had to buy all of your games from local stores. That's right, a time not too long ago people actually left their houses to buy games, and no, they did not have to fight off dinosaurs.

May 6, 2010 10:41:00 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Yeah, well even if I wanted to buy it I still get dealt a shit sandwich.

AU players will be buying on Steam for the rock bottom price of USD80.  Collectors is USD90!

What a bloody joke!

Edit: Actually more!

May 6, 2010 10:50:49 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I wonder if this means Brad Wardell will stop working with Civ V.

Well, it just means that there is really a market for the Impulse reactor: developpers/publisher really need tools for multiplayer. And the current available option is only Steam.

May 6, 2010 10:53:12 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The question is will you guys be given a chance to be competitive in the market?

You could get crushed by monopoly power- and you can't win a Sherman suit in the US these days.

May 6, 2010 10:56:50 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Perhaps I am the only one who can remember a time when you had to buy all of your games from local stores.

You countered your own argument.  The key in the sentence is the 's' in stores.  You had a choice who to buy it from, and there was more of chance of seeing a sale or promo of some sort as the stores try to entice people to buy from them over their competition.  Steamworks eliminates all the competition on the digital download front.  This is not good for the consumer, and supporting Steamworks now will just raise game prices/decrease value in the future.  You know all those spiffy 'deals of the week' Steam has?  They only starting doing that because their competitors started making headway against them.  Regardless of what you think of Steam, Steam getting exclusive rights to sell a game digitally is not good for anyone but Valve.

Great laughs from the article: Steamworks' features included in all PC versions, such as auto-updating, Steam Achievements, downloadable content, ability to access from any computer*, multiplayer matchmatching and more.

The last I checked, most of that is a STANDARD FEATURE in any AAA title game.  And forcing me to download a patch isn't actually a good thing.  Anyone who bought Dragon Age on the PC can tell you that the 1.03 patch broke more things than it fixed.  Downloadable content used to be called expansion packs, and actually gave you more than an hour or two of extended gameplay.  I mean, holy shit, I gain the ability to buy an expansion pack because I'm using Steam?  What value!

May 6, 2010 10:58:18 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Well clearly I won't be modding or getting Civ V now.  

May 6, 2010 11:00:08 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Removed it from my wishlist.

May 6, 2010 11:01:25 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I've owned every Civilization title since the first. I won't be getting Civilization 5. I don't hate Steam (though I'm starting to) I just don't like my PC games starting to feel kludged together and that's what every Steamworks game feels like to me. Supreme Commander 2 anyone?

May 6, 2010 11:04:12 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Adante,
Wait what is the problem with this?
Forced to be online no matter what to play in single player. And the excuse of "But you have internet all the time." is pure BS, so don't bother with it. In any case, I don't have anything against Steam... except Steamworks.

Still waiting for companies to force me to give blood samples each time I launch a game (while being online) to check for my identity as the true owner of a license for their game (that is nothing but a client as the game is actually in their servers, for which a pay a monthly fee to be able to enjoy my single player experience). All that while a security man from their company watches me frommy own room to make sure that I use a legitimate copy of the client (in addition to online checks), that no one else plays with my license (in addition to be forced to play with the webcam on so they can watch me)... e t c

May 6, 2010 11:13:47 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Is a Developer who says "no, only our shop can sell our game" any different?

May 6, 2010 11:17:29 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Wintersong,

Forced to be online no matter what to play in single player. And the excuse of "But you have internet all the time." is pure BS, so don't bother with it. In any case, I don't have anything against Steam... except Steamworks.

I just don't get it wintersong : i purchased world in conflict, company of heroes, might of magic 5 on steam and i can play all of them offline in single player.

Ok, i have been having more bug issues with steam than with impulse but apart from that, i am pretty ok with steam. I mean, if it was UbiSoft new drm system, it would be different but here, the only reason i may well not be buying the game would be because of their crappy combat system.

May 6, 2010 11:20:23 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

All that while a security man from their company watches me frommy own room to make sure that I use a legitimate copy of the client (in addition to online checks), that no one else plays with my license (in addition to be forced to play with the webcam on so they can watch me)... e t c

Umm... .... thats not for 'security' thats called an internet perv. One of my favourite kind of people.

Anyway, Im still buying it - Im willing to to fondeled by Valve I guess.

May 6, 2010 11:25:42 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

Hehe, at least you will have more freetime to mod EWoM.

..as for Civ5, I will only buy it, if EWoM won't be released in this year....I don't really care about Civ5 that much.

May 6, 2010 11:28:42 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Haree78,
Is a Developer who says "no, only our shop can sell our game" any different?

First-party can do that all they like.   They're not doing it to lock others out of the market.

May 6, 2010 11:37:17 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting arstal,

Quoting Haree78, reply 19Is a Developer who says "no, only our shop can sell our game" any different?

First-party can do that all they like.   They're not doing it to lock others out of the market.

a ) Third party can do what they want also

b ) They ARE doing it to lock others out of the market (or steamworks would be a seperate install ot tied to steam)

May 6, 2010 11:47:21 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

That's my Frogboy. Sticking to his principles NO MATTER WHAT.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000828   Page Render Time: