Game Play -> Art Assets -> Lore

explained further

By on April 28, 2010 3:36:53 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Tasunke

Join Date 10/2009
+45

Lore has a very important part in any game for immersion, style, and connection to that Self-Realization/Self-Expression that drives RPGs. However, other than playing crucially within Quests and the Campaign ... it should really take a back-burner to Art Assets, and (more importantly) Game Play.

Game Play is what the game "IS" ... and Art Assets are what make up the game. In terms loosely derived from Aristotle ... if you compare a Game to a Chair ... then the Lore is who made it, who owns it, which buildings it has passed through, etc. The Art Asset is the Chair as you see it, its Crafting, its Style, the way you View the light reflecting off of it.

The Game Play then is its abstract "Chair-ness" ... the "Soul" of the Chair, in other words, you cannot see it, yet it exists nonetheless. It is the experience of sitting in the Chair, and while everyone has a perception about the Chair (usually based upon the Art Assets), the center of the experience is inexplicably the "Chairness" or gameplay.

Now, Game Play might be a lot more visible than "Chair-Ness" although everyone has had that Chair that, for one reason or another, they just like ... regardless of a potentially garrish appearance.

The Art Assets are how we interact within the world, and what drives emotional and psychological responses (although a lot of that can be improvised upon) ... while the Game play is something that is forever tied to the game, and makes the user (drawn by either lofty promises or interesting Art) either love the game or hate the game, or anything in between.

The Game-Play is the retention factor, and the heart of the true experience.

Locked Post 11 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
April 28, 2010 4:43:49 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Well said, my friend. Well said indeed.

April 28, 2010 4:57:07 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Hehe Tasunke, this is like the 3rd post from you about the same stuff.

April 28, 2010 5:54:03 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Ikea chair?

While some don't mind being sitting in a cave tied and watching shadows on objetcs behind them projected over a wall in from of them, some prefer to be the ones putting those objects in front of the flame to create the shadows that are projected in the wall, others prefer to risk to leave the cave and be blinded by the light of the sun, a few actually can reach the point of being able to know objetcs why watching them being reflected in the waters of a nearby lake... and a very few ones are capable of getting their sight adpated to the light and be able to know things by directly looking at them.

Or something. Someone might get the reference and get the point behind it. Also: cogito, ergo sum.

April 28, 2010 5:58:47 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Well said, but can I point out that E is not an RPG. And I sure hope Random House has not hijacked the project in order to make it into one and prolong their contracts ...   

April 28, 2010 6:27:39 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Nah, they will be busy with the true RPG in which Stardock is working on. (as in totally early preprepreprepreproduction)

April 28, 2010 6:32:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Wintersong,
Nah, they will be busy with the true RPG in which Stardock is working on. (as in totally early preprepreprepreproduction)

I can already see the Beta1 reports of that upcoming RPG. [CTD]When hitting an elf with my warhammer

April 28, 2010 6:50:34 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Tormy-,

I can already see the Beta1 reports of that upcoming RPG. [CTD]When hitting an elf with my warhammer

Unfortunately, comments from some time ago mean Elemental lore, which could prevent (if true, but seems logical to happen) us from such reports (hmm weren't Ironeers like "dwarves" and some other race like "elves"?).

April 28, 2010 9:08:55 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Actually, if you want an Elemental-like game, but with a focus on RPG rather than strategy, take a look at "Guild 2." Not the MMO, the german-made game. Very very very interesting.

April 28, 2010 9:38:03 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I don't agree with the second part of the order. Gameplay is king if you want to make a long-lasting game, absolutely.

But when I look at games I really got into or games I remember, it wasn't because of art. It was because of the story and the characters (aka: lore). Not the art. It doesn't matter what things look like if I don't care what happens to them.

April 29, 2010 1:13:38 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Tridus,
I don't agree with the second part of the order. Gameplay is king if you want to make a long-lasting game, absolutely.

But when I look at games I really got into or games I remember, it wasn't because of art. It was because of the story and the characters (aka: lore). Not the art. It doesn't matter what things look like if I don't care what happens to them.

Same for me. Alpha Centauri art struck me as overly dark and sometimes plain ugly. It's still the best game I've played in terms of lore-driven mechanics.

April 29, 2010 2:54:47 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I agree with your basic idea that gameplay is king and everything else needs to support that. As I have said elsewhere, as long as the actual gameplay is good, the game will be good. Great lore, art, and customization options will take it from being good to great.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000125   Page Render Time: