Army Painter

another layer of unit customization

By on April 20, 2010 1:23:51 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Tasunke

Join Date 10/2009
+45

I would like to have the ability to paint my units Armor. Yes, including leather armor, scale mail, and Iron Plate.

Forgetting, for the moment, the practicality of such a thing, it could add to the uniqueness of the units, as well as working together with the Name and the Items/Weapons to create customized and stylized ... perhaps recognizable or distinguishable units.

Namely, the ability to have black, green, brown, or blue leather, and Red plate-armor. (or Blue plate, or Green, or Black).

Now, perhaps this would not be allowed initially, but unlocked with a multipurpose civilization tech. Something like Tan-dyes for leather "painting" that also unlocks the Tailor building. Or Glazing for "painting" metallic plate-armor, which allows for the creation of a Potters Guild.

For instance, I might wish for a Regiment of "Blood Angels" to be wearing Red suits of Iron-Plate armor, or for a company of stealthy "ninjas" to be wearing solid black leather.

personally, its just another level of aesthetic customization for our units that I would definitely love. They had something similar in Dawn of War, although it was a one-time paint customizer for the entire army. Elemental currently has such a color-customizer, although only for Cloth-style clothing (namely civilians).

Locked Post 11 Replies +1 Karma
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
Blazerules
April 20, 2010 2:14:32 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Once itnerfaces and options are really delimited, I'd expect more options in the faction screen. And hopefully better than the Dawn of War (1 or 2, especially 2) Army Painter, than although good, only allowed to see some units.

April 20, 2010 2:24:29 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

If for any reason Painting can't be achieved, how about the creation of Banners for your various Legions, Company etc.

Nothing like a cool Banner at the head of an Army to truly make it your own.. LOL

April 20, 2010 6:39:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Aye Wintersong, of course better. What I had intended, was that upon the creation of a Unit you can choose a new custom paint-job.

It was my intent that each unit w/ equipment initially start out as "default colors" for the materials, and then as you are designing the unit, you can select the paint. Armor and Equipment would automatically revert to default coloration each time you decide to build a "new" unit ...

For units that you have already decided on the Paint (lets say you designed a Red Swordsman) ... when you train the unit, you can right-click on the Icon and select "change paint" (before its trained) and the unit design will store the last paint-job that was assigned to it. (Alternatively, you could simply design two identical units with different paint jobs, if you wanted to)

However, units on the field cannot be re-painted, unless you are re-training and re-equipping those soldiers with new armor and gear.

April 20, 2010 7:56:02 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thirded.  Painting actual armies has really left me wishing I had more than "primary/border" gradient selection.

Although I guess I could just learn to model and texture to make my own damn armor sets whatever color I want them...  Laziness is my strong suit.

April 20, 2010 8:10:15 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

If you're impatient, you can currently go into the files and edit the textures yourself.

April 24, 2010 12:05:49 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

They aren't in the files yet. Been waiting for models and textures to use for dimensions etc.

April 26, 2010 7:39:47 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Anything that adds more customization (less load on the devs, more on the players) and more variability is good in my book.

I'd really like to be able to create a custom civ, custom sov, and custom units that stand out from those of other people's, just like GalCiv, but with swords.

May 9, 2010 10:20:25 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Awesome Idea

May 10, 2010 7:08:07 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Very cool idea... Not sure where one should put it in the list of priorities though, since it is purely cosmetic and therefore not a huge deal. It would indeed be very nice if we could do this though.

May 10, 2010 8:43:41 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yea, this is very low on priority, heh

However, Visual distinction between your soldiers and their soldiers is a much higher priority, just that the distinction be made in some way.

May 10, 2010 8:48:58 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I've suggested something similar a long time ago. [It can be found on the Comprehensible Suggestion List as well] -> Armor Coloring http://forums.elementalgame.com/366022

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000250   Page Render Time: