Cosmetic / Non-Cosmetic Equipment for Sovereigns

By on April 11, 2010 9:14:11 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Wintersong

Join Date 07/2006
+235

Currently, I can see how some pieces of equipment in the Sovereign creation screen have a cost associated to them. That cost, in character points, offer in exchange some extra bonuses to the Sovereign (like armors offering defense bonus). Although I like the idea it has a little tiny problem: what if I want to use the best looking armour just because of the visual factor but not for the defense bonus that the Devs has given to it? Or what if I wanted my favourite piece of cosmetic equipment to actually have some bonuses?

If possible and not too much work, I think it could be good to have each piece of equipment to have a checkbox associated to it that by default values as "Cosmetic". Equipment pieces with that checkbox checked, won't have point cost and won't offer any bonuses. If you equip a piece and uncheck that checkbox (supposing you have enough points to uncheck/pay for it), then you get the bonuses associated to that piece.

Locked Post 14 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
April 11, 2010 9:58:25 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yeah, seconded. I'd love to be able to just make a character look nice and play with the stats seperately.

April 11, 2010 12:33:03 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

hmm, Im not sure I want this added.

I like the idea of looking at a character and being able to tell what kind of stats it will have. I also don't like the idea that I might see a character deck out in plate armor, but has the stats of a naked mage. It all just rubs me the wrong way.

April 11, 2010 1:10:55 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

If the equipment remains as it is now with only some items having cost/bonuses (I don't think so but just in case), it would be interesting. If all the equipment must have a cost (except simple clothes, obviously) then you'd be right, Outlaw.

But then we also have the debate of "If I spend points for equipment of my Sovereign and later I can give him better equipment in game, am I not gimping him in comparison to someone who only buys stats when creating the Sovereign?"

April 11, 2010 3:43:47 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

While for regular units I would hate to see a plate mail knight who has the stats of a mage, for the sovereigns, and single player, I am okay with a decorative only checkbox.  After all, many rulers wore decorative suits of armor that had no practical value out in the field.

April 18, 2010 9:11:55 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

equipment should just be cosmetic or im getting a mod so it is.

April 25, 2010 2:00:19 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

http://forums.elementalgame.com/379995

My opinion.

April 25, 2010 2:56:14 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Wintersong,
If the equipment remains as it is now with only some items having cost/bonuses (I don't think so but just in case), it would be interesting. If all the equipment must have a cost (except simple clothes, obviously) then you'd be right, Outlaw.

But then we also have the debate of "If I spend points for equipment of my Sovereign and later I can give him better equipment in game, am I not gimping him in comparison to someone who only buys stats when creating the Sovereign?"

This second debate is the exact dual-strategy we SHOULD have. Its called the BadAss window ... how long can my decked out sovereign remain a BadAss before Global Tech catches up with me. Answer? Should be over 100 turns for it to be effective.

April 26, 2010 2:59:31 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

"If I spend points for equipment of my Sovereign and later I can give him better equipment in game, am I not gimping him in comparison to someone who only buys stats when creating the Sovereign?"

Interestingly enough that is happening already in the Beta version. Why spend points on a Shield, Sword, Leather Armor and Greaves, when I can pretty much be assured of finding those items on the Map.

One answer is obvious. Until I find them, my SOV is gimped for field use, and if I do not find them at all (unlikely), I cannot go back and add-on researched gear, in game. (something sorely lacking imho) and will change soon surely.

One thing seems a pretty good bet though. The "Super Sovereign" build will be very prominent as well as unavoidable, come early Beta 2 as a non-tweaked Sovereign will surely be the weak link in any proper game start.

April 26, 2010 7:44:09 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I think the so-called 'Bad-Ass Window' makes less and less sense the longer the game you play.

How about another idea:

Everyone gets equipment points and starting gold; there could/should be advantages for Sovs to pick that give them additional equipment points, or less equipment points. This way everyone gets a minimum of equipment without needing to spend points; people who eschew equipment may do so and get more points, people who want more can have less points and get more equipment.

Hell, you could roll starting gold into equipment points, then...and have advantages/disadvantages for more/less gold that cost points. Then allow gold to be used for starting equipment; and suddenly people can spend points to get equipment indirectly, or mostly eschew it.

Either way, they start with an allotment of gold/equipment in the least place.

June 27, 2010 7:25:22 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I like the idea a lot it would be great to dress up how ever you want and also be able to spend pionts to increase any bonus them might give.

July 13, 2010 1:53:42 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Very good idea. Hope they saw this post

July 13, 2010 3:47:21 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting DamnedChoir,
I think the so-called 'Bad-Ass Window' makes less and less sense the longer the game you play.

How about another idea:

Everyone gets equipment points and starting gold; there could/should be advantages for Sovs to pick that give them additional equipment points, or less equipment points. This way everyone gets a minimum of equipment without needing to spend points; people who eschew equipment may do so and get more points, people who want more can have less points and get more equipment.

Hell, you could roll starting gold into equipment points, then...and have advantages/disadvantages for more/less gold that cost points. Then allow gold to be used for starting equipment; and suddenly people can spend points to get equipment indirectly, or mostly eschew it.

Excellent idea, I'll help make sure it gets noticed.

Good stuff! 

Best regards,
Steven. 

July 13, 2010 7:58:39 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting DamnedChoir,

How about another idea:

I'm with Damned Choir on this one.

And I wouldn't like to see heavy armoured mages unless they are in fact heavy armoured mages.

July 26, 2010 12:23:42 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I really like DamnedChoir's idea on this one too. Don't use skillpoints on equipment but rather some starting gold. Also, I want my King to have an awesome portrait like some of the NPC's but I can't get crowns, nice armor, or even some basic swords. My King's portrait looks meek compared to everyone else's On that last note, gimme the option to update the portrait (for heroes and sovs).

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000437   Page Render Time: