Ending Your Turn Intelligently

Dealing with accidentally empty queues and idle units

By on April 1, 2010 11:55:07 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums External Link

sweatyboatman

Join Date 08/2006
+59

says:

Imagine a player just ended their turn and they forgot to queue any construction in a city; too bad. They just lost one turn or more of production. Who knows how long that city is going to sit idle before it's noticed.
That problem is legitimate.  But the solution of dragging you around to the various places where you could do stuff starts to fall apart once your empire is large enough.
 -
The reason is that once you have a dozen cities, you may only recognize some of them by their geographic location (ie. you know what city it is because you scrolled the map across your empire to find it).  Jumping through a list of cities with an empty queue at the end of a turn can be mind-numbing as it takes you to one anonymous city after another.  Do I build a library here?  Or a soldier?  Or a priest?  Or a boat?  Where the hell am I?  ... and repeat several times each turn.
 -
It would be far better to have a way of displaying on the map itself what needs doing.  Click a button (or hotkey) and it will highlight all the cities with empty queues (or soldiers awaiting orders) with indicators when those cities/soldiers are off-screen.  You could then give the user the option to do that whenever end-turn is clicked (double click will skip the check).
 -
The upshot is that you get the same feedback (you have empty queues!), but without the jarring trip through several city-card screens.  Plus, it should scale to an empire of any size and it's easy to understand.

Locked Post 3 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
April 1, 2010 12:38:09 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I like the idea. Have you ever played Civ IV?

When something "of note" happens on the map (the MAP, not necessarely a city), there is a icon appearing on your screen with an arrow pointing toward it. You can click on the icon, and your map will zoom toward that location.

Having these little pop-ups showing where is the nearest empty queue, or where a unit with no order is located, etc... rather than automatically take you to that location might be nice.

April 2, 2010 4:25:01 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I like it; an unfinished overlay is a great idea

April 4, 2010 2:41:32 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Aye ... flags or Fluxating Pings for Cities without production orders would be nice.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000282   Page Render Time: