61 year old woman gives birth

By on March 1, 2010 11:21:59 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

econundrum1

Join Date 04/2007
+36

Ok,

so will your partner die in elemental or loose fertility if female. I was just playing a beta game and my wife had our third child at 69 years old. I know I'm immortal but she isn't.

Also can we have an option to have anumber of wives / Husbands at once.

also would it be possible to have the option to equip our grown children? I realise this may be intended for later.

Locked Post 57 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
March 1, 2010 3:20:08 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I was going to come in and say "This should probably be in the Off Topic area"

But. . .uh, interesting question.

I believe (If I've read correctly) that when a child returns to your 'nation' or grows up within it, it becomes a champion. I assume you can equip champions like heroes of some sort.

Don't quote me on it though.

As for losing fertility; It'd certainly be something I would expect. It'd get a bit odd if your wife died and then gave birth of old age next turn.

Edit: . . .Ahem. Let me rephrase. It'd get a bit odd if your wife gave birth and then died of old age then next turn.

March 2, 2010 6:01:46 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I think that maybe life-spans, or at least royal life-spans, have already increased to include several hundred years. Or something of the sort.

History of the Calebethon, however, hints that Channeler's lifespans are shorter than I had originally imagined (10,000 years) ... as I had felt that Channelers could live 100 times as long as the Mortal Mages. The histories seem to indicate that a Channeler usually cannot live more than 500 or so years. So perhaps the royal family, closely tied with the Channeler, could live till about 200 years perhaps. At least his children, his Wives would probably go Infertile at 50 or 60 and die off at 100 or 120. Of course, if you want to be realistic for peasants for the era, then have the Wife go infertile at 45 and die at 55.

Perhaps have a pop-up for when your wife goes infertile, and due to your traits,personalities,characteristics, you can make a choice. Divorce her, Imprison Her, Execute her, stay married and faithful, Wed another Wife, Gain a Mistress, Gain More Mistresses, or "carry on" I already have a mistress and don't feel like remarrying.

March 2, 2010 11:28:35 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Although Channelers have long life spans we know normal mortals don't, so I suggest wives become infertile, and that wives and husbands should both die at random ages.

Interestingly from the beta although your grown children do become champions you can't currently equip or pose them as far as I can tell. Hopefully this will be added.

Interested seriously if Stardock will add polyigimy as an advantage, e.g. you can have multiple spuses and hence a higher number of children in a shorter time.

March 2, 2010 12:47:37 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Well, I think (personally) that Stardock should add *legal* polygamy as an advantage, and faithful monagamy as a "disadvantage"**

**its not actually a disadvantage, but by maintaning Morale Authority, you are able to spend more points on other facets of life, its not to say that monogamy is "worse" merely that it allows you to be a better person in other areas. Likely Faithful Monagamists and Legal Polygamists would be at opposing ends, and thus have diplomatic difficulties.

So ... the DEFAULT would simply be legal monogamy, with a chance to sire bastard children as well.

This seem like the most logical consideration. Bastard children *could* give you extra champions, but they could also get mad at you and stir up revolt. Do you decide to barr of bastard children fofr good? or do you spend points to have multiple queens (as opposed to mistresses) in order to keep all your Children loyal?

-I suppose there could be a similar option for Female Sovereigns, although im not exactly sure what the benefits/penalties could be ... as you can't exactly have *more* children through infidelity as a female ... unless being so merely means an increased chance of fertility, as the female's eggs are being fertilized by many consorts there is a greater chance that a successful Zygote will be formed. The downside would be that your illigitamit offspring would also be "bastards" (I think?) ... or maybe since the Sov is the mother, there would be no bastards, but maybe you would lose your Spouse every time you sired a bastard, thus (at least temporarily) decreasing your chances of having another child. However, if you legalize Polygamy, you could have many pleased Kings and thus maximize your chances of getting pregnant (based upon the fertility of your spouses).

Of course, the numbers of Children between faithful and legalized faithlessness are much greater for Males, so probably a greater point-spread for Males. (because a faithful Male and faithful Female would have the same approximate number of children, but an unfaithful male would have MANY more children than an unfaithful Female ... on Average). And that average quickly turns into *every game* when it spans many generations of spouses.

Another "advantage" of legal polygamy is that there is a much greater chance (almost 100%) that there will be at least 1 living spouse at any given time, since if your "harem" of 3-5 decreases by one due to a Death, you can always marry another to "replenish the ranks."

Another "disadvantage" of the Male being faithfully Monagamous is the amount of time NO children can be born between the time when their Wife grows infertile to the time when she dies. As there are no mistresses or other wives to fill in the gap. Thus being a Faithful Husband gives MORE points back to spend than being a faithful Wife. Also, being an Unfaithful Husband COSTS more points than being an Unfaithful Wife.

March 2, 2010 1:28:23 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

On the general timescale thing, I found 0.291 interesting because it both seemed to shift to turn=turn vs. previous UIs where turn=day, and it gave sovs starting ages of 22 years. Not sure if or how the devs might intend to reconcile that. Mainly, I'm trying to keep my disbelief-suspension parts strong and flexible.

On the fuzzy narrative level, I have no problem with a fantasy setting where some women might live far longer than others and maintain their fertility for most or all of their lives. I don't have any need to see this game tied to modern understandings of real human biology.

On the 'marriage variety' question, I think Tasunke's got a very interesting idea in suggesting that monogamy be a disadvantage (earn points) and plural marriage be an advantage (cost points). Especially because it leaves a nice middle ground for the Who Needs Marriage crowd. But I suspect that the folks who 'need' marriage in the game, and need it to stay monogamous, are the devs and the fast-game players. Managing dynastic politics will be complicated enough if the devs stick to pre-Reformation European aristocrats as a model (only two spouses, no divorce). I'll be happy enough if we just get some canon cultures where daughters are equal, or even come first.

March 2, 2010 6:32:12 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Well, I think (personally) that Stardock should add *legal* polygamy as an advantage, and faithful monagamy as a "disadvantage"**

**its not actually a disadvantage, but by maintaning Morale Authority, you are able to spend more points on other facets of life, its not to say that monogamy is "worse" merely that it allows you to be a better person in other areas. Likely Faithful Monagamists and Legal Polygamists would be at opposing ends, and thus have diplomatic difficulties.

So ... the DEFAULT would simply be legal monogamy, with a chance to sire bastard children as well.

This seem like the most logical consideration. Bastard children *could* give you extra champions, but they could also get mad at you and stir up revolt. Do you decide to barr of bastard children fofr good? or do you spend points to have multiple queens (as opposed to mistresses) in order to keep all your Children loyal?

This is all excellent of course...great post Tasunke. I must admit, I'd never considered the gameplay options folded down into the marriage jack-on-the-box, it seems to have far more going for it than something like espionage.

March 2, 2010 7:52:02 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Polygamy would be a big bonus for non egalitarian, warring nations.  When population ratios are close, it leads to high crime rates due to too many guys with no women.

March 2, 2010 10:59:26 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The polygamy trait would only have an advantage if your Sov is male, marrying multiple me won't improve a female Sovs birthrate

March 3, 2010 2:42:07 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The polygamy trait would only have an advantage if your Sov is male, marrying multiple me won't improve a female Sovs birthrate

Unless you're some kind of fallen insect thing that thrives on diverse sperm to increase your egg sac potential

March 3, 2010 5:04:43 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting KellenDunk,

Partly true, a female soverign might have more children that way because of varying fertility of her partners, but it would be more of an advantage to males certainly.

March 3, 2010 7:07:30 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yeah instead of polygamy you could have a "lays eggs" trait for female sovereigns

March 3, 2010 7:17:05 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Tasunke,

Marry some dozens of women; pick one as favourite, rest in the harem; fiddle with the others when not in the mood for the favourite; change favourite when needed; the others do their normal life in the harem while no needed by the husband. Polygamy costs more money but the husband can have the same free time as a monogamist. In any case, none of them are advantages or disadvantages per se.

March 3, 2010 11:24:08 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Bodyless,
Yeah instead of polygamy you could have a "lays eggs" trait for female sovereigns

You laugh, but I like that idea. It would work for Fallen with insect traits, avian traits, and reptilian traits. And the underlying mechanics really need to be there if for nothing else than enabling mods for things like Dragonlance Draconians.

Polygamy costs more money but the husband can have the same free time as a monogamist. In any case, none of them are advantages or disadvantages per se.

I would think that the simple game advantage of polygamy would be the increased production of offspring. Not that I expect so see anything other than serial monogamy in the game (maybe the occasional quest/event-related child out of wedlock).

March 3, 2010 11:32:52 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting GW Swicord,

I would think that the simple game advantage of polygamy would be the increased production of offspring. Not that I expect so see anything other than serial monogamy in the game (maybe the occasional quest/event-related child out of wedlock).

I have real problems envisioning this part of the game. can our Sovereign marry more than once (after the previous died of old age...) or not? Will they have fertility windows to be able to have kids? Pure random or will exist a limit of kids per couple? Because having a long living Sovereign can could marry more than once and keep giving life to more children while the already living children are having their own... In the end, you won't need normal units as you will have your own army of heroes (I'm exxagerating a bit about the no need of normal units).

Maybe it's not a problem but I find it strange to say the least.

March 3, 2010 12:41:39 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

In the end, you won't need normal units as you will have your own army of heroes

I almost hate the term 'balanced question,' but isn't this something that's supposed to come out in the beta wash? Besides, it seems like the late game on a very large map should have champions numerous enough to form their own small squads. They'd be a nice complement to sovereigns laying out massive magical destruction and dragons munching through mundane legions.

March 3, 2010 1:50:56 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting GW Swicord,

I almost hate the term 'balanced question,' but isn't this something that's supposed to come out in the beta wash?

Absolutely right. In that and in the huge map thing. Wait and see, I suppose.

March 6, 2010 10:10:54 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Though I am not playtesting, I have a question.

Does anything different happen if you are playing a Female Character instead of a Male Character, in particular during pregancy?
Stats change (+ or -), slower movment, miss a turn during child birth, other Kingdoms fear you more, does your ability to use essense/cast magic change (+ or -) etc

What if you are playing one of the non human races that lay eggs or have liters? Do you have many childern at the same time? Is this advantagous or cause for more unrest in your territory?

Just some thoughts

Dave Chase

March 6, 2010 10:15:37 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting DaveChase,
Does anything different happen if you are playing a Female Character instead of a Male Character, in particular during pregancy?

Nothing happens. Maybe in the future Stardock will add something or maybe not. But right now there is no difference between playing male or female.

March 6, 2010 11:31:55 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Wintersong,

Quoting GW Swicord, reply 13

I have real problems envisioning this part of the game. can our Sovereign marry more than once (after the previous died of old age...) or not? Will they have fertility windows to be able to have kids? Pure random or will exist a limit of kids per couple? Because having a long living Sovereign can could marry more than once and keep giving life to more children while the already living children are having their own... In the end, you won't need normal units as you will have your own army of heroes (I'm exxagerating a bit about the no need of normal units).

Maybe it's not a problem but I find it strange to say the least.

Well, each permutation of champions takes at least 20 years. Say you have your first child after 1 year of marriage, and a few more over the next 10 years. 30 years later, you will have 3 champions. New wife, same deal, 30 years later you will have at least 90 champions If the 3 champions married and at least one of them belong to you now.

That being said, 9 champions vs 1 superbuff sovereign, champs gonna die. 1 sov and 9 champions vs 1 superbuff sovereign and 20 soldiers, champs gonna die, sov escape (probably). Probably most of the 20 soldiers would also die as well, but current auto-resolve mechanics deem it otherwise. Now, if any of those 9 champions had gone questing/adventuring, and gathered experience points .... thats a different story. of course, the superbuff sovereign has the same opportunity to go adventuring/questing and the like, fighting off armies by himself. Did I mention the time my sovereign defeated 3 armies by himself on the same turn? Oh yea, I think I just did. Not that they were "big" armies by any means ... but if I have an adventuring Sov, he is going to start with at least a battle rank of 20.

In "any" event, it will be nice once magical sovs and Melee/Troll sovs of death have a slight difference, or even a greater difference (enter the tac battle). Until then, my combat speed will slay through all the opposition.

Another thing to mention is the UI ... rivers are still running into oceans, as much as 4 tiles worth, Once units disband, their icon remains. Its currently only possible (iirc) to disband units outside of cities. Its not entirely intuitive when units are in a group, or individually selected. I came up with a system and it works, but again, not entirely intuitive.

again ill make a plug that capitals should have more building tiles than normal cities. At least 4 building tiles, preferable 4 per level.

March 6, 2010 11:47:28 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

May be the ability to live forever transmited via making love?  

I hope that every heroes,soldier,sprouse can die by old age except me, the channeller. So I can choose my new queen when she die or cannot give me the heir. And live forever while seeing my friend and my love die one by one is interested drama(as Highlander series).

March 6, 2010 12:30:53 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

its the beta so its not really done yet i could only see the ui and the map was all white and blue lines were where the Sovereign going to try reinstalling when my net isn't capped

the intro was epic best ever!

March 6, 2010 2:09:50 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

well, I've found that each time you want to play a new game, you need to exit the game and reinitialize it. Thats cause the UI is saving or somesuch on the "game screen" not allowing a new interface to be made, so you can only load your game or exit, and by re-entereing have cleared the RAM and can make a new one.

At least ... I think thats what it means.

March 6, 2010 7:44:26 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

your "seed" is magical?

March 6, 2010 11:32:29 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Does anybody else think it's odd when your sovereign's wife repeatedly gives birth when your sovereign hasn't been in his capital since turn 1?

My only guess is that she travels as part of an invisible entourage that the 'sov has.  But then again, why does the grown child appear in the capital city?

March 6, 2010 11:45:40 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

es anybody else think it's odd when your sovereign's wife repeatedly gives birth when your sovereign hasn't been in his capital since turn 1?

You know its a game right? wouldn't take long to travel from the capital back to where u were in a year. we could come up with many ways of how it could have been done but its just part of the gameplay you want to have fun right?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000812   Page Render Time: