[Suggestion][UI] Tech Popup

By on February 27, 2010 7:01:49 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Sareln

Join Date 05/2007
+19

Whenever I finish researching a tech, I get a popup with two options: Continue / New Goal.

However, I noticed that the vast majority of the time, I wanted to know what techs would be available at the next level.  So I found myself constantly clicking new-goal, looking at the potential options, and choosing my path independent of the prompt.  Often, I would want to continue on the same path, but couldn't know that until I visited the kingdom screen.

I think it would be good to experiment with the popup structure to see if we can get that information onto the popup screen.  I playred around a little with a few ideas and came up with this mockup:

As a very minor suggestion, I also changed unlock --> enable.  It's a psych thing that probably doesn't matter, the difference between: "We are keeping something away from you until you earn it" and "You are earning something that was out of your reach"

What are people's thoughts on this?

Locked Post 5 Replies +2
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 28, 2010 4:49:01 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Sounds like a usefull idea to me...

February 28, 2010 5:03:37 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Good idea !

February 28, 2010 8:15:20 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

There are currently way too many popups when you've researched something anyway imho.

Also, I still want them to switch the position of the "continue" and the "new goal" buttons. Imho it's counterintuitive when the continue one is on the left instead of the right.

February 28, 2010 12:34:35 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yea, continue should probably be on the Right

So in this case, would continue lead to Refined Farming??

February 28, 2010 5:19:15 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Tasunke: Yeah, Continue would keep you on the Civilization Track with a chance for refined farming predicted for the next breakthrough.

Vandenburg makes a good point, I think it would be a positive change if we could figure out how to reduce the number of popups per tech discovery. (Right now the flow is --> Breakthrough [Choose Tech] --> Turn Report --> Tech Popup [Stay on Path or Switch]).  At the very least, having one follow the other (rather than being interrupted by the turn report) would be good.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000156   Page Render Time: