Optical mouse.

By on February 25, 2010 7:30:53 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

JPHamel

Join Date 12/2006
+2

This is probably for the older players like 40+

Could you imagine playing todays shooters with an old ball mouse instead of optical mouse.

I think the optical mouse has helped a lot in todays fast paced action shooters.

Just think for a second playing farcry 2 with an old ball mouse?

Locked Post 13 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 25, 2010 7:55:29 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I found the old ball very accurate if u cleaned it every 5 mins

February 25, 2010 7:55:50 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Sry dbl post - forum go boom

February 25, 2010 7:57:15 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If you are over 10, you have played with a ball mouse. They're fine until about a year after you buy them. It was a pain to clean them with rubbing alcohol though. Wireless optical mice are a godsend for me because I use a gaming laptop.

February 25, 2010 8:12:15 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Hell man...40 ain't old.

February 25, 2010 8:14:55 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Well, I didnt say old, i said older!

February 25, 2010 9:46:21 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Well, I'm both. Your original point is spot on.  

February 25, 2010 10:12:44 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Splitshadow,
If you are over 10, you have played with a ball mouse. They're fine until about a year after you buy them. It was a pain to clean them with rubbing alcohol though. Wireless optical mice are a godsend for me because I use a gaming laptop.

Over 10 is pushing it. I figure most kids haven't done much PC video game playing prior to being at least 6-8, and even that's probably a little low.

I don't know about you, but haven't even seen a ball mouse in the last 6 years, let alone played games with one, and don't know any 12 years with fond memorys of age 6 Starcraft sessions with their old ball mouse.

15 is probably a better number to go with. I'm 22, and while I remember having the ball mouse for quite some time, I'm a little fuzzy on actually using it with video games.

February 26, 2010 3:31:09 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting davidabc66,
Over 10 is pushing it. I figure most kids haven't done much PC video game playing prior to being at least 6-8, and even that's probably a little low.

Speak for yourself: my 4-year-old plays the hell out of Titan Quest and Plants vs. Zombies.  Once he's able to read a little better, I'll let him start on Master of Orion II (which he begs to play) and Elemental (when it comes out).

February 26, 2010 3:41:56 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

My memory's a bit fuzzy but IIRC optical mice didn't start coming around a lot until the tail end of the 90's at the earliest. Lots of gaming before that.

February 26, 2010 3:55:47 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I remember swearing at my mouse because it would not go where I wanted.

The thing is I never knew you could clean them. I would throw it out and buy another.

That's not the worse of it. After that I bought a logitech track ball and my ball is kind of trapped in the mould and I never knew you could clean that one. Since they are very rare in store now I called customer support to see why it was not working so well anymore. The guy was probably pissing on his chair about this moron who did not know he could pop the ball out and clean his track ball.  You should of seen the shit inside my mouse when I finally popped the ball. Took me about 30 minutes to clean it well.

It works very well now that I clean it regularly.

Yeah yeah  I know very funny 

February 26, 2010 3:56:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I remember playing with a weird metal stick joystick thingy on a TRS 80.  I also remember having paddles to play warlords on the Atari 2600.  Those metal joysticks sucked compared to the ball mouse.

TRS-80 with the two weird joysticks that came with the game:

February 26, 2010 4:11:10 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Geez, you still have this dinosaur?

I miss my old C64, I learned programming on this thing. Turned me into a programmer. Left the profession about 6 years ago. Now assistant manager in a grocery store. Talk about change!!

February 26, 2010 4:12:24 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Stone age stuff  LOL

I use to drool when I saw my friend with one of those when I was young....

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000187   Page Render Time: