Hero Governors

By on February 21, 2010 8:32:05 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Demiansky

Join Date 03/2008
+59

So some of the devs have bounced around the idea of having heroes as governors, but I personally would not want them to sit around in a city to give them bonuses.  Instead, I had another fun idea to throw into the mix...

If a hero is governing a city, the city gets benefits based on the heroes exploits.

Basically, once you get high enough on the adventuring tree, there would be a monument dedicated to that hero in the city.  For instance:

Billy the Ranger has completed numerous wilderness quests and has managed to capture all manners of unique animals.  His monument gives bonuses to all rangers and animal tamers trained in the city...

Samuel the Sorcerer has completed all kinds of special magical quests and has procured many powerful magical artifacts during his career.  His monument gives bonuses to magic based city production.

Ricky the City Razer and Freaking Lunatic has burned a dozen cities and even slaughtered farmer Joe and his entire family after farmer Joe sneezed.  His monument scares the shit out of people, and every person in the city is very, very well behaved.

When the hero dies, the monument can no longer grow in bonuses, but remains in the city unless a new hero governs the city.  This method has the advantages of not having to leave your hero in the city to govern it.  Instead, the city benefits from the success of the hero while he/she adventures.

Locked Post 14 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 21, 2010 8:42:47 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Some secondary bonuses based on the local magistrate's reputation seem like a neat idea. But I'm actually interested in seeing the home-or-roaming tradeoff be an important, ongoing question in the game. Not least because I'm still very hopeful that this will be the first TBS that has at least a little built-in affection for non-competitive players (folks who often or always 'role play' their TBS games) and snapping turtlers.

February 21, 2010 9:24:07 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Sounds good to me. The effect of the Monument could probably be affected by the Champion's level, as well as how awesome his exploits were. (killed 3 Umberdroths, a Dragon, and level 15) would probably give more bonuses than (killed 1 umberdroth, level 20), however (killed 3 Umberdroths, a dragon, and level 20) would provide even more bonuses.

probably the primary factor would be the actual accomplishments, and then the level would add a certian percentage, or so. Like a level 10 would take points (lets say prestige) 150%. so at level 1 you would have 100% prestige for accomplishments, and at level 10 you would have 150% prestige for accomplishments, and at level 20 you would have 200% prestige for accomplishments. So that once you reach level 20 your accomplishments are worth double prestige. This affects all accomplishments, not just new ones, so do something at level 1, and at level 20 its worth twice as much. Do same thing again at level 20, and its worth the same amount (twice as much). level 30 would be 250% prestige, and so on. Although I would assume that we are having a level cap somewhere around 40, and thats only for the super-bosses, or what-not ... so the norm for a "good hero" is probably level 20. Level 21-30 would be epic, and 31-40 are godlike powers. Meh, just a possibility/suggestion. Also, each level gain would probably give a certain amount of prestige as well.

But in any event, the Hero's Monument would probably give bonuses based upon his Prestige level, his specialty, and bonus-specific quests he has completed. Complete enough animal-kill or animal-capture quests and new hunters get +x% bonus vs Animals depending on Prestige level. (for example)

Of course, a simpler system would only account level, prestige, and Class. And without a proper class system, we will just have to go by which stat is highest, or which weapon he uses, something like that. But Level, Prestige, and Specialty is the simplest approach (I think). Although it would be cool for certain quests to directly affect the monument as well. Perhaps a curse or a failed quest could penalize the monument, while protecting the city from a seige of Dire-Bears possesed by evil spirits could earn special bonuses to the Monument not based on stats but as a result of completing that specific quest.

February 22, 2010 1:28:55 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Nice idea. Would actually make heroes relevant to the cities without chaining them to the cities.

February 22, 2010 3:48:37 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Hmm Forum ate my post without Egads...

So... I like the idea but I like Courtier heroes too. Or that type that doesn't go frosting/flaming/slashing people while sigthseeing distant lands but stays at home and faces other kind of challenges. But I like the idea and "urban heroes" are nothing but a wish at this point (and out of topic ).

February 22, 2010 10:38:31 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Wintersong,
Hmm Forum ate my post without Egads...

So... I like the idea but I like Courtier heroes too. Or that type that doesn't go frosting/flaming/slashing people while sigthseeing distant lands but stays at home and faces other kind of challenges. But I like the idea and "urban heroes" are nothing but a wish at this point (and out of topic ).

Lol, sorry about that Winter.  Yeah, I like the idea of courtier heroes too, but there's a bit of a problem with the choice of whether you send a hero adventuring or whether you leave them in a city: a hero sitting in a city does not have variable performance based on a player's orders, strategies, or tactics.  A veteran, prudent player would leave their hero in a city much less frequently.

July 25, 2010 11:51:21 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I actually like the idea of having heroes granting cities they are stationed in some sort of bonuses but base them on the heroes class. For example, an administrator would add 10% to the city's production, a Researcher would give +2R or add 10% research in the city, Farmers would increase food production by 10% or add prestige, and the sovereign could also have a few small bonuses. The question is Adventurers... they should be the main "explorer" and adventure heroes... maybe they add a LOS bonus (+3, like watchtowers).

You can still send them out on quests but I think the Administrator should have a reason or pull factor to stay in the city instead of out adventuring. He'd be an overall weaker unit but still garnering some nice bonuses to the Kingdom. Also, allow them to evolve their skills/abilities as time goes on: Professional evolution.

EDIT: An example for governors would be something like in the Medieval Total War series. The "heroes" could be out on assignment killing things or generally improving the city based on their personalities and leadership bonuses. Some "heroes" were even detriments to cities (due to crime or corruption). Champions could be GREATLY expanded upon by a MTW style personality system.

July 26, 2010 4:21:18 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I like these ideas too - champions stationed in cities provide a reasonable admin bonus based on profession skills, heroes who go out adventuring provide combat and General (army-leading) bonuses.

Best regards,
Steven.

July 30, 2010 5:21:33 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

But I'm actually interested in seeing the home-or-roaming tradeoff be an important, ongoing question in the game.

Absolutely, I think this would be nice.

One way to do this and make it interesting is for being home to add to slowly increasing benefits, so that there is an incentive to keep the hero there.

eg if he's there for less than 10 turns, provide +1 bonus, 10-19 turns, +2 bonus, 30+ turns, +3 bonus.

July 30, 2010 6:18:23 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

One way to do this and make it interesting is for being home to add to slowly increasing benefits, so that there is an incentive to keep the hero there.

eg if he's there for less than 10 turns, provide +1 bonus, 10-19 turns, +2 bonus, 30+ turns, +3 bonus.

Interesting. I might very much like something along those lines, especially if it worked as a sort of 'local experience' and the given champion could leave town for a while, return, and regain some part of the old bonus modified downwards for how long she'd been gone.

July 30, 2010 6:30:11 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

In most of the games I have started in the beta I would have my Sov and about 3 other heroes with some soldiers/summoned creatures as my adventuring party while the rest of my heroes protected my settlements and caravans, so the implementation of hero governors that can affect their city would be a nice addition.

I wonder if it would be possible to make the hero gov gain bonuses for protecting the city (destroying roaming brigands, protecting caravans, successfully defending against sieges, ect.) while failing to due the above examples would actually cause negative effects instead of bonuses

Also, is it possible to marry your family to your favorite hero units to make them part of your dynasty? If not that would be a great implementation as well. Instead of marrying to another faction i could have my son/daughter marry to my favorite hero unit thus making him family and then said favorite hero's lineage will continue on (I know that my Sov made some ridiculously terrible offspring, meaning that even with a great sword my son only manages 2 damage) so maybe the hero unit would spawn decent hero offspring as a plus to arranging him into your dynasty

July 30, 2010 6:52:00 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I suppose we could implement a trigger where after each successful fight there is a 10% chance of gaining a "victorious" ability. I know that Total War was FULL of those sort of things for gaining traits and it could probably be applied here. Once question I have is how feasible would "class" progression be? For example, can a city administrator get better at it and his bonuses improve?

July 30, 2010 7:20:45 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I definitely like class improvements; trader becomes a merchant, and so forth for other hero backgrounds.

July 31, 2010 7:12:33 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Alright, I've been working pretty hard on expanding the current histories and backgrounds to flesh them out more and give them some small passive advantages. For example, if you station an Administrator (now also a selectable sovereign skill) in a city you gain a small building discount and a TINY boost to trade to represent leadership and efficiency. Merchants now only generate +1 gold per turn but, when stationed in a city, add a little gold to city income and give a small 5% bonus to trade. It's still WIP and certainly needs balancing but it's really making these traits and histories more interesting. If anyone is interested I could probably release what I've got later tonight.

Check it out here: http://forums.elementalgame.com/389736

Unfortunately, I have no idea how to make a merchant become a better merchant with time. I will explore having characters (especially sovereigns) generate small amounts of XP per turn later today.

I could certainly use some help for ideas, traits, and testing.

August 1, 2010 10:41:59 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Maybe there should be automatic "name" promotions at specific levels; at level 6 and level 10 you gain a title upgrade.

And any hero can get a Title upgrade, with some branching options and maybe stat requirements; like Paladin requires Charisma 14 and Strength 14, Mage requires Int and Wis 14, etc.

Its lame that even mighty wizards or champions are still "farmer" or "merchant" in the late game.

This still doesn't work for administrator heros alone; for that, there needs to be some kind of passive XP gain.

Create a "City Hall" building that gives a slow XP gain for champions and Sov stationed in the city; slower XP gain than from adventuring, but steady.  This would allow even a hero stationed in a city to gain levels and then get title bumps, and the various Improved Title versions of merchant, farmer, etc. could boost the trade/gold/production values.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000297   Page Render Time: