The Lore of Elemental

By on February 18, 2010 4:42:51 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1117

Elemental_Logo_10-22-08_BlackandWhite

LORE

EducationOnce, legend says, the world of Elemental was filled with magic.

All peoples made use of this sorcery; with it, they built great kingdoms – Malaya in the south, Hallas in the west, fabled Al-Ashteroth in the East – raised splendid palaces, magnificent civilizations.

Then came the Titans, immortal beings who sought control of Elemental, and the magic contained within it. They waged war amongst themselves, and in the process turned men into their vassals - and worse. Seeking control of the world’s enchantment, in the end, they all but destroyed it. At the last of the great battles they waged, the land itself was broken. Civilization perished, and the Titans vanished from the world entirely.

There were survivors. This is their story.

Excerpts from The Hiergamenon

EarthCrystal_Medallion The Titans & The Cataclysm
For thousands of years, immortal beings of great power dominated the mortal races of Elemental. Their wars with one another led to the cataclysm which brought their reign to an end. Read More…

Keep_Medallion The Kingdoms of Elemental
The five kingdoms of men maintain an uneasy alliances as they attempt to resist the growing power of the Empires of the East.  Read more…

CityWalls The Empires of Elemental
The Empires see themselves as the natural inheritors of the Titans. Dominated by races of the Fallen, they believe their time has come. Read more…

Magic Of Magic
The 4 schools of magic are based on ones understanding of the shards – earth, air, fire, water. Magic is accessed via mastery of spell books. While much of the great lore has been lost, more and more of it is being recovered with the return of civilization. (more coming soon)

CreatureTame Of Dragons
Before the mortal men and their fallen adversaries spread across the world, the lands were the domain of the dragons. These sentient beings are rare but incredibly powerful; even the titans feared them. (more coming soon)

EbbenWolf_Medallion The Beasts of Elemental
The beasts of Elemental come in all shapes and sizes. Some are sentient, most are not. The mixing of natural and Fallen beasts has to a never ending stream of new creatures. Read more…

StudySpells Tales of The Hiergamenon
Passed down and added to over generations, The Hiergamenon is the source of all that we know of the world. (more coming soon).
21 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 18, 2010 5:08:16 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Awesome.

February 18, 2010 5:08:39 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

For similarities to Norse Ragnarök, See:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ragnar%C3%B6k

For painful similarity to the Dragonlance series/world. see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragonlance

February 18, 2010 5:16:46 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Interesting stuff. Is the Hiergamenon intended for a Civilopedia-style role? And is there any chance of people somehow gaining access to a printed copy? I'd value it at a little over 20$ American, but I'm increadibly stingy.......

February 18, 2010 5:24:27 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting ,

immortal beings of great power dominated the moral races of Elemental.

February 18, 2010 5:42:10 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Oh how I dream that Sins of A Solar Empire had more lore like Elemental.

I have to say, yall have got my attention with all this lore. And the fact I can make ugly kids

February 18, 2010 5:46:50 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Ok, we can scale back all works of fantasy and find a common theme... every story has already been written before, we know that... but its the variation on the classic theme that makes it interesting.

So we see the classic theme going, happy to start, bad guys come, fight, blows up the world, now we rebuild. I can see how the game mechanics are writing the story, which is a fine approach to take.

I see the components of ideas coming together...but don't be afraid to go deeper here in the lore. If you want a strong race that is interesting, you have to take it farther. Good character design typically is excessively exaggerated from anything you would encounter in reality. People love minsk in baldurs gate, but in fact the guy was a raving loon who would have been locked up in a padded room, most likely if we ran into minsk in real life we would cross to the other side of the street and avoid him, but for whatever reason we love him to death in the game.

For example, lets take a look at the human characters. I can see here you guys had an idea for the + stat bonuses the race would get and then decided to build a character around it (the diplomats) (the merchants) etc. Don't forget about the other way. Dwarf fort has an interesting design philosophy in that they write a story, then jot down things that they would like from the story to happen in the game, so as you examine these races deeper it might give you ideas for unique units and even different mechanics.

So go deeper. What are the effects of the cataclysm on the human races? What was the order of things before the cataclysm, do old hostilities return... was there one civ that stood above the others but now is low, for example make the Tarth were actually ancient rulers and are prideful but universally disgusted now ,but the arrogance has never left them.

What about these crystals, all their power put there. What if there was a race that was predominately full of magicians who lost their power, and now stare at their former glory contained in a small shell, there it all is, untouchable to them. This could actually be your 'scientific, low magic' race, so determined are they to obtain their power. Think of how frustrated they would be... ITS RIGHT THERE, but they can't touch it.

What if people start worshiping the crystals? It was the magic of the world, are they not god like? Maybe there is a cult of the crystal surrounding every untapped crystal node and they have to be dealt with like a bunch of tree huggers by the logging company?

So what I'm saying is there is a very generic background lore here, but start thinking about it, how you would react if you were each one of these people surviving the generic death events, and then you get creative. The creativity of your interpretation of the generic events is where you will find the depth you want, I think.

February 18, 2010 5:53:31 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Cool!

February 18, 2010 5:53:53 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting reapy54,
Ok, we can scale back all works of fantasy and find a common theme... every story has already been written before, we know that... but its the variation on the classic theme that makes it interesting.

So we see the classic theme going, happy to start, bad guys come, fight, blows up the world, now we rebuild. I can see how the game mechanics are writing the story, which is a fine approach to take.

I see the components of ideas coming together...but don't be afraid to go deeper here in the lore. If you want a strong race that is interesting, you have to take it farther. Good character design typically is excessively exaggerated from anything you would encounter in reality. People love minsk in baldurs gate, but in fact the guy was a raving loon who would have been locked up in a padded room, most likely if we ran into minsk in real life we would cross to the other side of the street and avoid him, but for whatever reason we love him to death in the game.

For example, lets take a look at the human characters. I can see here you guys had an idea for the + stat bonuses the race would get and then decided to build a character around it (the diplomats) (the merchants) etc. Don't forget about the other way. Dwarf fort has an interesting design philosophy in that they write a story, then jot down things that they would like from the story to happen in the game, so as you examine these races deeper it might give you ideas for unique units and even different mechanics.

So go deeper. What are the effects of the cataclysm on the human races? What was the order of things before the cataclysm, do old hostilities return... was there one civ that stood above the others but now is low, for example make the Tarth were actually ancient rulers and are prideful but universally disgusted now ,but the arrogance has never left them.

What about these crystals, all their power put there. What if there was a race that was predominately full of magicians who lost their power, and now stare at their former glory contained in a small shell, there it all is, untouchable to them. This could actually be your 'scientific, low magic' race, so determined are they to obtain their power. Think of how frustrated they would be... ITS RIGHT THERE, but they can't touch it.

What if people start worshiping the crystals? It was the magic of the world, are they not god like? Maybe there is a cult of the crystal surrounding every untapped crystal node and they have to be dealt with like a bunch of tree huggers by the logging company?

So what I'm saying is there is a very generic background lore here, but start thinking about it, how you would react if you were each one of these people surviving the generic death events, and then you get creative. The creativity of your interpretation of the generic events is where you will find the depth you want, I think.
Me likes.

February 18, 2010 7:42:56 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

For similarities to Norse Ragnarök, See:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ragnar%C3%B6k

For painful similarity to the Dragonlance series/world. see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragonlance

Haha, this post is funny. I can't speak to Dragonlance - I know nothing about it - but comparing this to Ragnarok only displays ignorance of Norse mythology (which isn't an insult, most people don't know all that much about it, but then don't pretend you do). About the only similarity between the two is that they are both apocalyptic scenarios of some sort.

But in Elemental it already happened, and all the 'gods' died/vanished, leaving a broken world behind for the humans to rebuild. Ragnarok, on the other hand, is a prophecy of the end of the world during which all the fallen heroes of the past would join the with the gods in battle against, well, the enemies of the gods. The 'good' side, i.e. humans and the Norse gods will win, with some casualties, and a new idyllic world, inhabited by the surviving and reborn gods and men, will rise from the sea.

So... Yeah, the similarity kind of starts and ends with 'apocalypse.'

February 18, 2010 8:01:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Nice write up reapy54

February 18, 2010 11:27:20 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

/flameoff

reapy54 summarizes it best.

Let's get into this world beyond the shell of what is normal and really get into what makes elemental, elemental

February 19, 2010 12:13:55 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

aye nice post reapy

February 19, 2010 1:46:40 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Guessing the Hiergemonenen is the Encyclopedia Galactica or Civopedia of Elemental?

February 19, 2010 2:15:22 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

This is like the 4th thing i know that has god like things playing part in the lore... kinda getting old thats the only problem i have so far with it.

February 19, 2010 4:32:20 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting KillzEmAllGod,
This is like the 4th thing i know that has god like things playing part in the lore... kinda getting old thats the only problem i have so far with it.

Yep that's one of the major problems with humanity.. always squeezing god like things into the lore of everything

Reapy54's post is brilliant.. the lore so far has really failed to grab me, but that kinda thinking and additional detailing/adding of texture to the world would really make the game feel a lot more compelling from a story standpoint

February 19, 2010 4:49:59 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

But in Elemental it already happened, and all the 'gods' died/vanished, leaving a broken world behind for the humans to rebuild. Ragnarok, on the other hand, is a prophecy of the end of the world during which all the fallen heroes of the past would join the with the gods in battle against, well, the enemies of the gods. The 'good' side, i.e. humans and the Norse gods will win, with some casualties, and a new idyllic world, inhabited by the surviving and reborn gods and men, will rise from the sea.

Actually, everyone f'king dies except a naked man and a woman hiding in a forest who proceed to recreate humanity.

February 19, 2010 10:13:28 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting docbates7,

Hmm... I don't feel comfortable judging someone's labor of love... based on... well, so little.

Can't people hold back just a little, seeing as we've seen just vague and tiny portions of the lore of which apparently reams exist?

February 19, 2010 11:53:47 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Actually, everyone f'king dies except a naked man and a woman hiding in a forest who proceed to recreate humanity.

Yeah this. Also incest.

February 19, 2010 4:07:17 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

This needs to replace the lore link up top...

February 19, 2010 5:34:51 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting lifekatana,
Yeah this. Also incest.

Fantasy > Reality.

February 21, 2010 12:23:28 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Sounds great.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000375   Page Render Time: