Hexes

By on February 18, 2010 2:16:34 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

AM_Shark

Join Date 02/2008
+6

I'm kind'a bummed Elemental looks as if it will be using Squares other than Hexes.   I know its following after Civ and MOM.  Cid finaly got it right:

As you can see Hexes rounds everything out and create a smother and less block like world.  Of corse this is a IMO thing.

Locked Post 66 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 18, 2010 2:34:02 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm partial to hexes myself also... However... It seems we're already heavily invested in squares sadly...

February 18, 2010 3:20:17 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

While I don't really care either way, those nation borders look funky as hell.

February 18, 2010 3:34:13 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Myles,
While I don't really care either way, those nation borders look funky as hell.
Real world's countries hasn't "borders" so meh.

Hexes sounds good and not sure how difficult would be for Stardock to use them (if they were really interested in using them). Especially interesting to see in the city building department.

February 18, 2010 4:03:17 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Hex, square, I really don't care (hey, that rhymes...)....... from a purely aesthetic standpoint I always assosciate hexes with a sci-fi setting and squares with historical...... but I understand there are also mathematical arguments for both...... in the end it's likely academic as we've gone pretty far to have to change everything up.......

February 18, 2010 4:13:18 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

We always used hexes for our RPG DoD games. I've drawn any number of maps of strange lands on hexes. They rule. Much better than squares. Would be great if EWoM could include them. 

February 18, 2010 6:32:58 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Hexes

February 18, 2010 6:53:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I prefer hexes too, but it's way too late now to change it.

On a different note, those screenshot reminds me quite a bit of the Settlers board game.

February 18, 2010 7:25:13 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I prefer hexes myself.  It adds an organic feeling to the map.  If you were to remove the grid overlay from those screen shots, you would not be able to tell that it was a tileset.

That being said, I am perfectly happy with Elemental being square tiles.

February 18, 2010 8:31:23 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I have an old bias twoards hexes for real (in-person) RPGs. Not sure about hexes for a TBS PC game becuase I haven't ever seriously played one with hex maps. The 3 Civ 5 screen shots don't impress me at all in terms of hexes somehow making maps look more organic. Hexagonal cow pastures? Did anyone not running a math-obssessed religion ever build one of those?

February 18, 2010 9:49:35 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Hexes are nice, but the inability to form right angles is sort of angering. It's a major strategic weakness when every other unit in a square or line formation is exposed to x3 the contact area of a neighbouring unit. This is mostly why I prefer squares. A few table top games allow units to occupy half-hexes but I've never seen this in a computer game.

EDIT: That's a pretty looking game... what game is that?

February 19, 2010 12:32:46 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

"That being said, I am perfectly happy with Elemental being square tiles."

I totaly agree squares will do fine.

Quoting MagicwillNZ,

EDIT: That's a pretty looking game... what game is that?

Civ 5 Screen Shots

February 20, 2010 2:56:02 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

hexs are nice, but they can also be very irritating. TBH, i prefer squares in TBS. Hexs are good for tactical combat where the extra exposure is often very handy. For big empire builders, tiles are nicer even if your land does look a bit blocky.

February 20, 2010 3:36:09 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Cerevox,
hexs are nice, but they can also be very irritating. TBH, i prefer squares in TBS. Hexs are good for tactical combat where the extra exposure is often very handy. For big empire builders, tiles are nicer even if your land does look a bit blocky.
Civ 5 is going with a 1 Military unit per tile approach supposedly, so the hex tiles will be very strategic with armies and such.

February 20, 2010 4:09:44 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

1 unit per tile? thats gonna fail hard. How do we put multiple units on a city? can we mass large numbers of forces anywhere without taking 10 turns to get them all across a border? 1 unit per tile in a civ game would be a disaster.

February 21, 2010 12:43:16 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Cerevox,
1 unit per tile? thats gonna fail hard. How do we put multiple units on a city? can we mass large numbers of forces anywhere without taking 10 turns to get them all across a border? 1 unit per tile in a civ game would be a disaster.

Unless the definintion of a city is more than one tile. Then you are allowed to have Stalingrad type experiences.

February 21, 2010 1:27:06 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I hate Hexes.  I know I'm in a minority on this.

Consider this: It takes just as many turns to take the red path as the white path.  The closest distance between two points should be a straight line.  With Hexes, that's not necessarily the case.  

I know squares have their own issues too but that particular issue with hexes always drives me crazy.

There are certainly some tactical benefits to hexes and the debate between hexes and square tiles will continue unabated but I don't like them personally. 

And yes, to repeat, I know most people disagree with me. It's a personal preference.

February 21, 2010 2:26:36 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thats kinda funny. I actually like them because a straight line isn't always the shortest path. It lets units move around in more ways, opens up tactics. I can see why that would be incredibly irritating though.

February 21, 2010 6:48:45 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Frogboy Elemental 2 should go with Octogons. [e digicons](\(\[/e]

February 21, 2010 7:15:01 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I find it more irritating that in squares you can travel diagonal 1.41 times farther then you would traveling horizontally or vertically.  Hexes=win in my opinion. 

February 21, 2010 10:27:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Consider this: It takes just as many turns to take the red path as the white path. The closest distance between two points should be a straight line. With Hexes, that's not necessarily the case.

I have no pro-hex or pro-grid preference, but isn't this just as much of an issue with square grids?  With diagonal moves, you can take some significant detours from a straight line and still only use the same number of moves to arrive at the same destination.

If I want to go from A to B on a square-based map, I shouldn't go in a straight line.  I should use the diagonal moves to zig zag my way there so I can reveal as much terrain as possible.  The optimal path in a square-based map is not a straight line if you want to scout while you go.

February 21, 2010 11:16:58 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

oh snap. Your right. And the possible line going to the side is even farther out with square tiles than with hexes.

February 21, 2010 11:21:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

egads, this post went boom!

February 21, 2010 11:29:06 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,
I hate Hexes.  I know I'm in a minority on this.

Consider this: It takes just as many turns to take the red path as the white path.  The closest distance between two points should be a straight line.  With Hexes, that's not necessarily the case.  

I know squares have their own issues too but that particular issue with hexes always drives me crazy.

There are certainly some tactical benefits to hexes and the debate between hexes and square tiles will continue unabated but I don't like them personally. 

And yes, to repeat, I know most people disagree with me. It's a personal preference.

Did you know the distance from Moscow to Vladivostok is longer than the distance between Moscow and New York?

It's not because the length between two points is longer. Oh no. Russia is just made of hexes.

February 24, 2010 9:34:54 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

In soviet russia, hexes move on you.

February 24, 2010 3:09:10 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

In Elemental forums, posts are double.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000610   Page Render Time: