The Elemental Box

By on February 12, 2010 5:08:43 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1491
Elemental-Box

This is a rough draft of the Elemental box. 

Locked Post 69 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 12, 2010 5:13:04 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Box looks good, I like the style of the cover.

However, I don't find it flashier enough to do the game justice. It's very interesting to catch a person's eye, but it looks old (and not many people appreciate that contemporary thing) and it may not be enough to fuel further interest for a purchase.

Sorry, that's what I think. I the cover, but that's just me and an opinion.

February 12, 2010 5:22:00 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Box?  Who buys computer games in boxes anymore?

February 12, 2010 5:23:43 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Looks solid to me.

February 12, 2010 5:23:56 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I like it - it has style, and doesn't lie about the game. It makes you dream about your future empire

The worst would be if there were some kind of obscene demon or troll WoW/Warhammer style being sliced to dice by a semi-nude blondine in platemail that covers about 5% of her body.

Another thing is that we know the pic above since quite some time already, so no surpise to get excited about.

February 12, 2010 5:30:26 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'll be honest, it really isn't that good. I don't like the setup at all with the dragon leaning awkwardly down into the frame with the guy like mid-step on a balcony. It looks boring, the game would be much better served with the typical hero leading an army to battle cover.

February 12, 2010 5:40:45 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I like the scene and the concept, but the dragon does seem to be perched really awkwardly. Maybe it should be flying in the top left of the frame instead?

February 12, 2010 5:44:06 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If you look carefully, you will notice that the weight of the entire dragon's body is positioned vertically with all force pushing down on one paw that is pushing down on the side of a building at an angle. There is no way that this pose could happen because in this position the dragon would fall off in two seconds because nothing is supporting his weight. At the very least his claws should be dug into the castle. The dragon's neck is also craned a bit too far and something is wrong with its lower jaw.

February 12, 2010 5:54:18 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yay for boxes. Looking awesome.

February 12, 2010 6:01:38 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I like it. Looks good.

February 12, 2010 6:02:00 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I like it. It looks epic, and it'll probably stand out on a shelf of games because it's different. You should probably show it to people other than us for feedback though, since we're all fans already.

February 12, 2010 6:07:18 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Cauldyth,
Box?  Who buys computer games in boxes anymore?

I do! Though I'm having Stardock ship it to me so I can be in beta now.

February 12, 2010 6:08:54 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Splitshadow,
If you look carefully, you will notice that the weight of the entire dragon's body is positioned vertically with all force pushing down on one paw that is pushing down on the side of a building at an angle. There is no way that this pose could happen because in this position the dragon would fall off in two seconds because nothing is supporting his weight. At the very least his claws should be dug into the castle. The dragon's neck is also craned a bit too far and something is wrong with its lower jaw.
And magic is real. And dragons. Not complaining about the dragon not being big enough?

Quoting Splitshadow,
the game would be much better served with the typical hero leading an army to battle cover.
Unoriginal. Not that this game couldn't pull it off greatly though. Example of "I don't need Conans or Merlins in my cover":

@Stardock: You can use whatever art you decide it's best (and you will, and that's fine for me as the game itself is more important than a cover) but you should know that for my copy, I want (would like?) that piece. I'm sure you can produce art of even better quality that I'd greatly enjoy but I like that one. As an alternate cover or whatever. Maybe I'm biased because each time I think of Elemental, my mind offers me that picture as what the game is about.

February 12, 2010 7:27:56 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

So lets see...

There is the "HOT GIRL!" cover, you didn't pick that.

Then you could have the "DIS GAME IS DA BADASS!" cover like gears of war. It isn't that one.

There is always the "symbolic" cover, just a very simple design maybe with a glow. You didn't want that.

You could have had the "Impressive." cover, usually a large scene that is not relavant to the game what so ever but looks really cool. That wasn't to be.

You didn't even fall back on the trusty "This <insert close up of face or running soldie> is going to be intense." cover.

Instead, you went with the "Beware of falling dragons when using balacony" warrning sign cover. Good Work.

Seriously though, its nice. Will Buy.

February 12, 2010 8:01:07 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The art isn't bad but this a game is about leading empires and casting epic spells.  Why not have a similar picture but show a nice fallen army marching towards you in the distance and having the wizard conjuring some nice epic spell.  The current picture is a little too generic and could easily be for an RPG which is much more common in the fastasy genre.  I just think you would be better served if the picture gives the viewer a glimpse of what they can expect in the game.  Also I think a little action would spice things up and draw more attention.

Also have to agree with the dragon's pose looking a bit weird.  Really could care less myself about the box art but that's my 2 cents. Of course I have 0 experience with cover design or art so I am probably wrong anyway but you wanted opinions.

February 12, 2010 8:15:41 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I love the idea of the geometric border, much like Mucha was famous for.

Although I think the picture portrays a powerful person ruling over a vast territory (you can see the territory and he has a pet dragon!) Perhaps that the actual image chosen has met with such resistance suggests that I am wrong.

February 12, 2010 8:28:06 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Maybe you're right, maybe Elemental should throw up it's nose and shun decades of traditional box art by creating a boring static scene that doesn't make sense. I mean, hey, magic and dragons aren't real right? So obviously gravity shouldn't matter, we should just break all the rules of graphic design and put things floating in space. I like Elemental's style of artistically drawn yet realistic scenes, but the box art is just boring. There needs to be some sort of dramatic action to show that stuff happens in the game. You may as well just have the guy sitting in a chair playing a banjo; the box art should be dynamic, it should represent what happens in the game, giant awesome magical battles.

February 12, 2010 8:39:53 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Splitshadow,

Because the dragon couldn't possibly have four legs, with the other two out of sight.

And have you ever actually seen a real life lizard? Many can climb vertical surfaces. Why can't a dragon do the same thing?

February 12, 2010 8:49:31 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Lizards are very small and have tiny fibers that grip surfaces on the pads of their feet. Even if this were some bastard child of Puff the Magic Dragon and the Geico gecko, it's still an awkward way to place something on the cover.

February 12, 2010 9:06:26 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Aw, now I'm kind of sad I pre-ordered a digital copy instead of a physical .

February 12, 2010 9:08:34 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

No background in advertising but wouldn't you want to convey more of what the game is about? The box front only conveys "fantasy" to me. Oh well, its good enough I guess.

February 13, 2010 12:09:24 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It's classy and distinctive, unlike nearly every other box on the shelf. If there was a shelf.

I always did like that picture because it conveys a sense of wonder and possibility to me, and after all this time it's certainly burned into my mind as the image of Elemental. It may be that another image would be better, but I wouldn't stray from this style. That box art for Disciples 2 says a lot about why I never looked at the game.

Also, is anyone else really annoyed by having a giant banner ad on the top of every game box? I know the reasoning for it, but it always clashes with the box art. The only way that thing wouldn't look out of place is if you were making something like Corporate Brainwashing 2: The Buzzwordening.

February 13, 2010 12:30:26 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

You guys complaining about the pose of the dragon being weird, how it would fall off its perch... The position and form of the foot on the right makes it abundantly clear that the dragon is in motion. Not to mention dragons typically have four legs, and we have no idea what it's doing with its hind two.

I think the cover looks good, but I do agree with the criticism that to the random buyer, it might not be eye-catching enough (for precisely the reasons why I like it...). It has muted colors and an artistic feel, and sadly I don't think that appeals to the general gaming demographic.

February 13, 2010 12:41:11 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

People are actually taking issue with the dragon really falling off? I mean I did a picture up there as a joke.

Its clearly a magical dragon that has a lady friend, enjoying a romantic evening on the balcony. Obviously.

February 13, 2010 4:25:14 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Don't listen to those who say that it lacks epic.

I just love that image (even with the strange dragon). It changes from every other titles.

February 13, 2010 6:21:19 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Splitshadow,
Maybe you're right, maybe Elemental should throw up it's nose and shun decades of traditional box art by creating a boring static scene that doesn't make sense.
Yes.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000265   Page Render Time: