Creatures of Elemental: Hordes of the Fallen

By on February 11, 2010 5:39:52 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1110

The Fallen are made up of many different races and creatures. Some of these creatures are sentient (or semi-sentient). Some are mindless and others, while lacking sentience have a cunning that makes them lethal.

This is by no means a complete list of Fallen creatures.

image[3]
Trolls. Huge, powerful, stupid. Powerful sorcerers can charm them.

image[7] 
Edars. Rare but powerful Edars are incredibly dangerous with their elemental magic. Can be recruited – for a price.

image_thumb[2]
Umderdroths. The Dread lady Umber bred these lethal killing machines as pets. Can be tamed by powerful channelers.

image_thumb[3]
Daemons. No other way to classify these nightmarish creatures. Created by the Titans, they may be immortal.

image_thumb[5]
Dire Wolves.

Dire Bears

Sions. Powerful users of a very specific magic. They can be recruited.

84 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 11, 2010 5:51:15 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Nice.  I'd love to know more about the Sions; I like the artwork for the daemons.  Are some of these creatures going to be environmental specific?  Some only found in deserts, some in swamps, some only in forrests?  Maybe a stupid question, if it is just ignore me and or call me names. 

February 11, 2010 6:00:13 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Please have Dire Penguins.

February 11, 2010 6:00:44 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The Dire Wolf seems to suffer a serious case of undeath.

Two Edars, please!

February 11, 2010 6:01:22 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Umderdroths look like demigod's unclean beast.

And do not forget dire badgers!

February 11, 2010 6:06:07 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The ones shown above aren't specific to any environment.

But there are creatures that are specific to environments but they don't tend to be Fallen creatures as they were bred explicitly not to be stuck to an environment.

But for instance:

This non-Fallen (natural creature of Elemental) appears only in swamp areas.

Incidentally, it has not been named yet so feel free to suggest names. 

February 11, 2010 6:17:26 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The random world name generator of Elemental has suggested the following: Saseruu; Lagnaplur; Ireq; Soodehul; Saecrand; Rippawii and Iran. I vote for "Swamp Behemoth" but I suck at naming. In Stargate Atlantis I'd be naming Puddle Jumpers as Gateships.

February 11, 2010 6:40:03 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

But there are creatures that are specific to environments but they don't tend to be Fallen creatures as they were bred explicitly not to be stuck to an environment.

But for instance:

Aha. Apparently you have quite an impressive pool of artsy pictures from the Elemental Universe.

Do you not feel a sudden urge to share?

Anyway, it looks like either a Sarubat or a Swamp-Merkhat - not to be confused with it's larger cousin the Plain-Merkhat - to me.

February 11, 2010 6:50:54 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Edars. Rare but powerful Edars are incredibly dangerous with their elemental magic. Can be recruited – for a price.

This reminds me of a Balrog. I can't wait to get my hands on it

February 11, 2010 7:03:26 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I shall name it a "Bog Wolf".

The stories of "The wolves of the bog" are a common camp fire tale used to scare young kids. Creatures lives in the swamps. Anyone traveling around swamplands late at night become their prey. No one has managed to survive once they become their prey. Victims who ran to the "relative safety" of a nearby town only serve to doom the town itself. Only a rare few managed to escape these towns before their destruction. Those who make it far into dry land tell of creatures hiding in the shadows that came from the bogs. They can be reconized by their wolf like figure, and their glowing red eyes.

Ofcourse, very few men have got a good look at them let alone those who have survived an encounter. Who could blame them for any inaccuracies. Most people expect them to have fur, and howl at the moon.

Still, the name "Bog Wolf" is plenty descriptive. Anyone who hears their name can expect that these things live in water, and can hunt like wolves.

February 11, 2010 7:14:51 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It looks like a Horrukh to me.

All of these creatures look excellent! Just the kind of atmosphere we needy gamers expect from our fantasy worlds

Is it safe to assume the races of men will also have some analogues, or in the tradition of GalCiv2 their own crazy powerful beasties? Because otherwise, it might be hard for me to stop my Umberdroths and Sions from running amok in the world...

February 11, 2010 7:15:13 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I fancy myself rather adept at nomenclature (and really love big words):

• Surjog
  • Karethene
  • Iguan
  • Hydrosaur
  • Thurg (my personal favorite)
  • Igdoran
  • Idgoran
  • Id'Go'Ran
  • Saurmurg
  • Saurumurgh
  • Hydrus
  • Hydruus
  • Hydris
  • Hydreseus
  • Hybris
  • Hybreseus
  • Igan
  • Greater (one of the above)
  • Marshstalker
  • Bogstalker

Are these Fallen single species, or are there different subtypes in each category (i.e. different elements of Edars)? And are all these critters evil, or are there some available to good factions as well.

February 11, 2010 7:26:54 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Dire kittens, they could change the landscape of TBS games forever...

And yes, that's a vote in hopes that "dire bears" will be more or less an easter egg, unless maybe there will be a good story and/or gameplay reason to have more than one "dire" anything?

February 11, 2010 7:29:13 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Trolls. Huge, powerful, stupid.

I've had quite enough of your negative racial stereotypes good sir! Trolls can benefit the community in a number of ways.

February 11, 2010 7:30:22 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

ncidentally, it has not been named yet so feel free to suggest names.

Possibly too cerebral, but I think "Palatrox" has a nice ring to it. Got it by mixing the latin words "palus" (swamp), and "atrox" (horror).

February 11, 2010 7:33:07 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The Daemon artwork is awesome.  

The Edar also looks cool, but I see an opportunity.  The wingless wing-structure.  A common trope used to make bad things look extra-cool, they don't actually make sense (except on reanimated formerly winged things).  Buuut... what if they were actual attack / movement limbs?  Like spider legs, or Kerrigans extras in Starcraft?  If nothing else, that would let you create some sick running animations for the Edar (as they used their alternate limb set to move unexpectedly quickly - and possibly also over otherwise impassable terrain)

February 11, 2010 7:37:37 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Dude loving the artwork... more please! 

February 11, 2010 7:44:31 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The Edar also looks cool, but I see an opportunity. The wingless wing-structure. A common trope used to make bad things look extra-cool, they don't actually make sense (except on reanimated formerly winged things). Buuut... what if they were actual attack / movement limbs? Like spider legs, or Kerrigans extras in Starcraft? If nothing else, that would let you create some sick running animations for the Edar (as they used their alternate limb set to move unexpectedly quickly - and possibly also over otherwise impassable terrain)

What makes you so sure there aren't any wings? I'm imagining anything from magical membranes to unclear drawing to feathers/skin unfurling from around the spines.... although using them as legs would be a nice touch as well

February 11, 2010 7:50:23 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

But for instance:

Worgran , Chemosh, Defiler, Swamp Geth, Swamp Horgeth, Shard Swimmer. Any one of those I think

February 11, 2010 7:54:34 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I dub thee... Wuffy.

February 11, 2010 7:55:40 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Okay, maybe this is too much but can we get these in a higher res? I really want the Daemon as my desktop background

February 11, 2010 7:58:42 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Seriously, this artwork is beautiful, we need some 1600x900 or larger up in here!

February 11, 2010 7:59:03 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

Dire Lizard!!! 

Just kidding, please don't name it that.

The concept art looks awesome.  I hope you can make them look nearly as good in the 3D graphics engine. A rich bestiary will definitely make the game more interesting.

February 11, 2010 8:04:04 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

For the large swamp animal I would go with a shortened version of Ōsanshōuo (this is the Japanese name for the gaint salamanders of that country which can grow up to 5ft long). How about naming this creature an Osan?

Not only do I think this would be a cool name it would also be a small tribute to an incredible animal that is being pressured by humanity.

PS: love seeing the world info

February 11, 2010 8:23:28 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Your artist(s) is/are friggen fantastic!  Considering how much art we've seen so far, I'm amazed how quickly they create such skillful and beautiful works.

They deserve a raise!

February 11, 2010 8:52:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I decided to whip something up seeing as no backgrounds have been made available for Elemental. Frogboy, would you please whip the graphic designers to make them crank out some desktop backgrounds? Also, give them a raise while you're at it, they do a phenomenal job. 

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001797   Page Render Time: