Obama just cut off funding to NASA???

this is SO WRONG!!!!

By on January 29, 2010 9:53:13 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

just_jim

Join Date 05/2009
+5

Obama just cut all funding to NASA???  WHAT???  That's the last straw... I'm officially against ALL politicians now!!!

Locked Post 155 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
January 29, 2010 9:56:57 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

What? He did? Damn republicans and democrats are always the same

There go my hopes and dreams (seriously)

January 29, 2010 10:02:49 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Just the moon mission.  But kind of ironic that some call him the "last" kennedy Brother.  While he may have a lot in common with Ted {hic} Kennedy, he has nothing in common with the better brothers, Bobby and Jack.

January 29, 2010 10:06:36 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I'm so ashamed of ourselves, why would he cut spending in space and then redirect it to Iraq? politics I guess but DAMN!

I hope he repeals his decision to do this, or his advisor of science tells him too.

Fingers crossed guys, fingers crossed   

January 29, 2010 10:07:17 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting tesb,
no you are wrong

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5illPVZdQmBFi5BDkZgPQAtoTUAGg

OK, I read that and did a little digging... Yeah, we can still go to the Space Station... whoopie...

But to defund the Constillation Program???  It was one of the best things Bush did, but now it's all gone.  No more moon shot, no more trying to get to Mars, and more importantly Europa???  Why, so they can afford this stupid healthcare thing no-one really cares about???  Or pay off all his lobbyists and Union peple???

This is SO WRONG!!!

January 29, 2010 10:16:16 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

People like Randy Marsh voted for him. What can you expect?

January 29, 2010 10:28:41 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

well there goes leaving the milky way anytime soon.

January 29, 2010 10:28:54 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Uhm what? This is a great thing. Now this money can go to actual usefull things instead of incredibly ineffiecient worthless useless moon flights.

Although it would be cool if the white house would support a lofstrom loop, that would actually be usefull.

January 29, 2010 10:36:36 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hey Obama you're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind. Hey Obama! Hey Obama!

January 29, 2010 10:36:38 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting lifekatana,
Uhm what? This is a great thing. Now this money can go to actual usefull things instead of incredibly ineffiecient worthless useless moon flights.

Although it would be cool if the white house would support a lofstrom loop, that would actually be usefull.

I find space exploration important. The health care bill probably won't even go through. Someone somewhere going to yell "because it was used by communist" it is wrong and will change the government into a communist one.

January 29, 2010 11:50:34 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting lifekatana,

incredibly ineffiecient worthless useless moon flights???

If it wasn't for those "Useless" moonflights, you wouldn't be writing something so ignorant on a PC, because we wouldn't have PC'S!!!!!! 

So much of what you take for granted today came from those "useless" programs...

Why are you even here on a website about an Outer Space Game if you don't share the dream of getting there someday??? 

January 29, 2010 11:58:55 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Space exploration is very important.  

Mark my words, no human will ever leave the Milky Way Galaxy. Never. 

January 29, 2010 12:01:03 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Let me clarify. I AM NOT AGAINST SPACE TRAVEL, and I think it's very important for scientific research however looking at the currenct economic crises AND this specific mission I wholly support Obama in this matter.

This specific mission uses outdated incredibly ineffecient technology and from a scientific view the mission is pretty much worthless.

January 29, 2010 12:14:27 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Sigh. The move to outsource LEO astronaut launches should please the core of the 'space-race' activists, who've been bitching about NASA for years and spending huge bucks on sci-fi authors who tell stories about how private industry paves the way for human expansion into the rest of the solar system.

As a staunch, Floridian Democrat who just told the DNC to fuck off asking for money until they get their act in DC together, it is mainly a sign to me that Obama's tactical folks have already written Florida off for the next couple of election cycles. Titusville (home of Cape Kennedy) is basically the East Cost anchor of our I-4 corridor, and letting the shuttle program end without a viable in-house replacement is going to mean massive economic disruption in the area.

January 29, 2010 12:33:27 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Splitshadow,
Space exploration is very important.  

Mark my words, no human will ever leave the Milky Way Galaxy. Never. 

Guess what they said man would never reach the moon and we did. They said slaves will never be free, and we are about half way there. They said batman would never beat superman, but guess what it has happen! But more seriously what need to understand every technological advancement we have right now, about 50 or 60 and more years ago was simply sci fi and viewed as impossible or it would never happen. So the things we view a sci fi currently are things we are un able to develope currently, but that doesn't mean we won't or will never do it. Yes men will leave the milky way it may not be in our lifetime, but it will happen.

January 29, 2010 12:36:33 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Sigh, despite my past disagreements with lifekatana and his views, I agree with him on this one. There is currently little to no benifit of going to the moon, or mars, for that matter. We don't need people on Mars to take the samples we need and we don't need a moon base to get a probe to Europa.

P.S. I like to play space games like SINS because I know that the likelyhood of it ever happening is only a little greater then nil.

January 29, 2010 12:47:43 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Where is the cold war when you need it.

Yeah there goes the moon. I wonder how the Americans will feel when they have a China and or INdia and or Korean flag on the moon. When you look up you see your nemessis being there and you are on the earth looking up and they are looking DOWN on you.

When the russians lauched Spounik (sp?) Americans were all afraid and they fought like crazy to be the first on the moon. Now the moon will be used by other contries that might not have the same values as you americans. They will get the best real-a-state to mine. When Fusion reactors come along and you need that special Isotope that is so abundant on the moon you will wonder why you are not on the moon and you will remember this day when once again Americans are short sighted. Thinking that a puny war on earth is more important than space exploration. Of course you will just have to buy your electrical power from China.

Poor americans... once again cancelling a program because they are short-sighted.

When I read Space exploration is wasted money...just wonder what this world would be if Russians of the 1960 were the first to go on the moon. I doubt they would of stopped there. They probably would be the dominant country today.

Oh well...

Mark my words... if we humans want to survive we HAVE TO GO INTO SPACE... that is inavitable.

January 29, 2010 12:54:00 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Solam,
Where is the cold war when you need it.

Yeah there goes the moon. I wonder how the Americans will feel when they have a China and or INdia and or Korean flag on the moon. When you look up you see your nemessis being there and you are on the earth looking up and they are looking DOWN on you.

When the russians lauched Spounik (sp?) American were all afraid and they fought like crazy to be the first on the moon. Now the moon will be used by other contried that might not have the same values as you americans. They will get the best real-a-state to mine. When Fusion reactors come along and you need that special Isotope that is so abundent on the moon you will wonder why you are not on the moon and you will remember this day when once again American are short sighted. Thinking that a puny war on earth is more important than space exploration. Of course you will just have to buy your power from China.

Poor americans... once again cancelling a program because they are short-sighted.

When I read Space exploration is wasted money...just wonder what this world would be if Russian of the 1960 were the first to go on the moon. I doubt they would of stopped there. They probably would be the dominant country today.

Oh well...

Mark my words... if we humans want to survive we HAVE TO GO INTO SPACE... that is inavitable.

First off china, korea, russia or where ever else you want to name are not my enemy. The may be the American government enemy but I can give a damn if they put what ever they want up there. I like china better then america anyways >.> And if Russia wouldn't stop there? Hell America did not stop there, America did not stop with the atomic bomb and no one else would either. America isn't pure each nation wants to upper hand over the other.

January 29, 2010 12:55:46 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Myles,
Sigh, despite my past disagreements with lifekatana and his views, I agree with him on this one. There is currently little to no benifit of going to the moon, or mars, for that matter. We don't need people on Mars to take the samples we need and we don't need a moon base to get a probe to Europa.

P.S. I like to play space games like SINS because I know that the likelyhood of it ever happening is only a little greater then nil.

I will definitly agree on skipping the moon and even Mars and heading straight to Europa...  I want to go ice fishing on Europa!!!  It's all I want before I die... I'm really serious on this... all I ask for before I die is get something up under the ice on Europa...  Prove there is life somewhere else... and believe me, I will die a very happy man if I see a school of alien fish come up and lick the camera lens!!!!

January 29, 2010 12:58:29 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting synnworld,

First off china, korea, russia or where ever else you want to name are not my enemy. The may be the American government enemy but I can give a damn if they put what ever they want up there. I like china better then america anyways >.>

I agree with that.  I have nothing against the Russian or Chinese people... I don't trust their governments... but I don't trust ours either, so that evens out.  Ideally I wish we'd all get over it and work together to get there faster...

January 29, 2010 1:00:35 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

To paraphrase Kanye West:

Barack Obama doesn't like smart people.

January 29, 2010 1:01:01 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

First off china, korea, russia or where ever else you want to name are not my enemy. The may be the American government enemy but I can give a damn if they put what ever they want up there. I like china better then america anyways >.> And if Russia wouldn't stop there? Hell America did not stop there, America did not stop with the atomic bomb and no one else would either. America isn't pure each nation wants to upper hand over the other.

I know they are not pure. I am canadian by the way. All I am saying is that There is a lot more to the moon then going to mars and or Europa.  If you read on Fudion reactors which is the next step for electrical power you will see that the MOon Isotope I forget the name is the main power source. We all know that fossil fuels will run out and when they do we will need a  lot of electrical power. That will come from the fusion reactors and whoever controls the moon will control the money. Meaning you will pay a wallop to get power. That is just one of the possibilities I am sure there is more.

January 29, 2010 1:02:25 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving
And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour,
That's orbiting at nineteen miles a second, so it's reckoned,
A sun that is the source of all our power.
The sun and you and me and all the stars that we can see
Are moving at a million miles a day
In an outer spiral arm, at forty thousand miles an hour,
Of the galaxy we call the 'Milky Way'.
Our galaxy itself contains a hundred billion stars.
It's a hundred thousand light years side to side.
It bulges in the middle, sixteen thousand light years thick,
But out by us, it's just three thousand light years wide.

January 29, 2010 1:03:12 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting just_jim,

Quoting Myles, reply 16Sigh, despite my past disagreements with lifekatana and his views, I agree with him on this one. There is currently little to no benifit of going to the moon, or mars, for that matter. We don't need people on Mars to take the samples we need and we don't need a moon base to get a probe to Europa.

I will definitly agree on skipping the moon and even Mars and heading straight to Europa...  I want to go ice fishing on Europa!!!  It's all I want before I die... I'm really serious on this... all I ask for before I die is get something up under the ice on Europa...  Prove there is life somewhere else... and believe me, I will die a very happy man if I see a school of alien fish come up and lick the camera lens!!!!

Life on other planets is something I would love, but hate to see. Seriously if we visit a planet withanother civilization under developed then our own chances are humans would try to enslave them.

If they are more advanced then us chances are they know we exist and just don't give a damn about us. They may think  we are some kind of galatic weed of the universe or has studied us for years and know how destructive the human race is. Our here is my favorite scenario; the human race finds are we were nothing more but an experiment of another far...farrrr more advanced race. Everything we know is a lie, religious people will go mad and kill themselves to find out that all of religion was a lie and they can't accept it.

Or someone will simply piss them off and we will be at war with another planet .

January 29, 2010 1:06:34 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I've picked on lifekatana about tone a few times, but I'm sure he and I have far more policy preferences in common than either of us have with Myles. That said, I'm sick to death of hearing the public space program described as a 'waste.' Even if you ignore the importance of moving industrial processes off planet for the long-term health of our biosphere, there's still plenty of short-term benefit from the basic research that has gone into the efforts so far. Not to mention the dispersion boost provided to other innovations like velcro...

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000203   Page Render Time: