First 2010 Elemental Survey

By on January 26, 2010 5:36:25 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums External Link

Denryu

Join Date 07/2006
+92

It's been a few months since I ran a survey. I am not a paying surveymonkey customer, so it will only take the first 100 responses. First come, first served! I will post the results when the 100 threshhold is broken OR Saturday at 10:00 a.m. PST whichever is first.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/PJ826XV

Locked Post 24 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
January 26, 2010 5:59:24 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I would love to take the survey but it seems to be for those who have access to the beta. So I'll leave room for those who can contribute properly.

January 26, 2010 6:13:30 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I did the non-beta questions.

January 26, 2010 6:28:32 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The survey, through no fault of your own, would not allow me to choose N/A for more than of of the games selestion question.  I wanted to answer N/A for three of the six, so I ranked 1, 2, 3 for the ones that I wanted to rank and 5, 6, N/A for the others. 

Thanks for doing this.

January 26, 2010 8:04:32 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Taken. I wish surveymonkey didn't have that lame 100 participant limit for the free version, because it is by far the best survey creator I have found.

January 26, 2010 8:05:20 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I would love to take the survey but it seems to be for those who have access to the beta. So I'll leave room for those who can contribute properly.
Not really... just took it, and a lot of the questions have little to do with the beat itself....

January 26, 2010 8:09:47 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting cleflar,
The survey, through no fault of your own, would not allow me to choose N/A for more than of of the games selestion question.  I wanted to answer N/A for three of the six, so I ranked 1, 2, 3 for the ones that I wanted to rank and 5, 6, N/A for the others. 

Thanks for doing this.

Bah, that is because it is a "forced rank" question and only allows one of each available response. I would have expected the N/A option to be exempt from the rule. - you done good tho!

January 26, 2010 8:57:02 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting kyogre12,
Taken. I wish surveymonkey didn't have that lame 100 participant limit for the free version, because it is by far the best survey creator I have found.

Please pardon the threadjacking, but if they didn't have that limit, how would they ever get a paying customer?

January 26, 2010 10:07:03 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting GW Swicord,

Quoting kyogre12,
reply 4

Please pardon the threadjacking, but if they didn't have that limit, how would they ever get a paying customer?

No idea. I'm just speaking from my experience with my Top Games of the Decade survey. The truely free sites were horrible. The ones that were decent had to be paid for to get all the features. Obviously the paid-for ones can afford to be better, but I'm not going to pay $100 for one survey a year, if even that.

January 26, 2010 10:41:19 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Done, Thanks for the survey!

January 26, 2010 11:38:51 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Completed  

January 27, 2010 1:38:04 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Didn't do the first 2 questions as I'm not in the beta. Pretty short. I expected a loong one.

January 27, 2010 6:39:16 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

yeah, I to was surprised at the length.  I guess the forums have settled down on new ideas?

January 27, 2010 7:10:43 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Well frankly with the amount of KARMA I have been getting lately from surveys (hint: ZERO) I haven't felt really motivated to do much as far as coming up with really cool questions and lots of possible answers.

Yes, I am a complete karma whore.

January 28, 2010 10:53:06 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

So when do we see the results?

January 28, 2010 12:21:59 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

So when do we see the results?

The OP says, "I will post the results when the 100 threshhold is broken OR Saturday at 10:00 a.m. PST whichever is first."

January 28, 2010 3:29:28 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

And when I checked this morning I only had 60 participants. Typically I would have hit the threshold by now, so maybe this was a particularly shitty survey.

January 28, 2010 3:35:53 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Well I still haven't taken the survey, not only do I not have access to the beta but I've only played a couple of the games you listed there. So I figured I'd leave room for other people. If you want to make a more "fullfilling" survey why not ask for people to submit to you any questions that they want to be in the next one. That way you don't have to try and figure out what to ask.

January 29, 2010 8:18:47 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

The survey, through no fault of your own, would not allow me to choose N/A for more than of of the games selestion question

January 30, 2010 3:29:38 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

1. If you are participating in the beta, what is your opinion on Elemental so far?
  answered question 53

skipped question
 Response
Percent
Response
Count
Looks to be the best game ever!   0.0% 0
Looks to be the best TBS ever!
15.1% 8
They are definitely on the right track!
62.3% 33
I am still on the fence.
18.9% 10
I'm not impressed.
3.8% 2
I regret the pre-order.   0.0% 0
DownloadCreate Chart2. How much time per week do you play Elemental beta?
  answered question 52

skipped question
 Response
Percent
Response
Count
Under an hour.
51.9% 27
1-2 hours.
30.8% 16
2-4 hours.
13.5% 7
4-8 hours.
3.8% 2
Over 8 hours.   0.0% 0
DownloadCreate Chart3. Various games have been listed as inspiration for EWOM. The games below will be presented to you in a RANDOM order. Please rank them from highest(1st) to lowest(6th) how much you hope that EWOM reflects the gameplay of each game. (sorry you get my list, I am sure I will leave someone's favorite out!) Use N/A for any game you are not familiar with.
  answered question 65

skipped question
 1st2nd3rd4th5th6thN/ARating
Average
Response
Count
Master of Magic 68.3% (43) 12.7% (8) 11.1% (7) 4.8% (3) 1.6% (1) 0.0% (0) 1.6% (1) 5.44 63
Dominions 3 11.5% (7) 9.8% (6) 18.0% (11) 13.1% (8) 21.3% (13) 4.9% (3) 21.3% (13) 3.52 61
X-COM: Ufo Defense 6.7% (4) 31.7% (19) 16.7% (10) 16.7% (10) 8.3% (5) 16.7% (10) 3.3% (2) 3.60 60
Warlords 3.8% (2) 11.5% (6) 13.5% (7) 19.2% (10) 19.2% (10) 25.0% (13) 7.7% (4) 2.77 52
Total War 4.8% (3) 22.6% (14) 12.9% (8) 16.1% (10) 19.4% (12) 16.1% (10) 8.1% (5) 3.23 62
Heroe's of Might and Magic 6.6% (4) 11.5% (7) 23.0% (14) 21.3% (13) 23.0% (14) 11.5% (7) 3.3% (2) 3.20 61
DownloadCreate Chart4. Which element of elemental most intrigues you?
  answered question 70

skipped question
 Response
Percent
Response
Count
The Economy
8.6% 6
Tactical Battles
21.4% 15
Magic System
20.0% 14
Adventuring/Quests
15.7% 11
Diplomacy/Dynasty
25.7% 18
Other
8.6% 6
DownloadCreate Chart5. What would you most like to see a detailed Dev Jounral on?
  answered question 71

skipped question

Back Story
9.9% 7
Magic System
40.8% 29
Internal gameplay video with bells/whistles
23.9% 17
A "state of the game" address
19.7% 14
Other
5.6% 4
January 30, 2010 4:43:29 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

very interesting results.

January 30, 2010 4:48:42 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I am glad to see Diplo/Dynasty took the lead in gameplay interest.  Quite surpising, actually.

January 30, 2010 6:44:36 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Well, 2nd place (Tactical Battles) is good....

January 31, 2010 10:58:50 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting CrusaderScott,
I am glad to see Diplo/Dynasty took the lead in gameplay interest.  Quite surpising, actually.

Smells a bit like a result of what's getting heavy public discussion discussion recently. But then I might be the one who skipped that question on account of I really wanted to be able to pick an answer along the lines of The Whole Is Greater Than the Sum of Its Parts. I could end up loving tactical battles if the magic is right, I bond with my champion and offspring units, and can identify indvidual enemy units who led a treacherous attack against my people. I can just as easily imagine ending up in the mostly-autoresolve crowd.

February 11, 2010 10:50:17 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Just read your survey and results.  What I think about the question's..(not in beta atm so will confine answers to questions 3, 4, and 5 of the survey)

#3-For me its all about Master of Magic.  I do think all the other games listed are fantastic in many ways, however, MoM takes precedence by a wide margin for me as the main inspiration.  Like others have stated in other forum pages if the AI and multiplayer for MoM had been better I might never have played another tbs game ever.  Hotseat MoM was just a tad too slow with getting up, walking back and forth, waiting for turn, eating, sleeping..my turn!!  Also why I kinda like the idea of the simultaneous turns..

#4-For me this sounds like a trick question.  What intrigues the most?  Why I say tricky is because I think I would take for granted that the magic system, tac combat, etc are all kinda expected whereas the Dynasty system is not something most pc games have.   I know I played at least one good old game with Dynasty type idea; just can't remember what it was.  Probably a DOS game..

#5-Magic system for the win!!(It is also crucial for a fantasy based game IMHO)

As a side note I am extremely pleased with the amount of dedication and interest by the overall community as it relates to Elemental:War of Magic.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000391   Page Render Time: