Elemental: Quest Discussion Part 2

By on December 21, 2009 4:35:33 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1484

In part 1, we talked about quests in general.  Now it’s time to get to the heart of the matter.

Step #1: CLASSES of quests

As one player put it, quests have to be broken up into components. Think of these as the building blocks of a quest (or “bricks” as one user put it).

How are quests initiated? Here are the ones that come to mind:

1. Some tiles would contain an object that when a player enters that tile, triggers a quest event. These tiles would appear on both the cloth map and full map. We’ll call these MAJOR quests.

2. Random events. Player hits turn, and there is a chance that a quest opportunity may come to the player without having to do anything. We’ll call these MINOR quests.

3. Some tiles would have objects in them that when the player interacts with them would trigger the quest event. These would only be available on the full map (players will be able to move within a tile without using up a move on the full map because you can zoom in).  We’ll call these INCIDENTAL quests because they won’t have a game-changing effect.

Step #2: MECHANICS of quests

Here we define the building blocks of these quests specifically.

• Timers. Quests must be completed within a certain time limit.
  • Satisfying the quest requirements:
    • Kill N creatures.
    • Find Object O
    • Return object X.
    • Rescue character Y.
    • Perform Action Z.
    • Obtain Q of a particular item.
    • Collect items A, B, C…G
    • Destroy V
    • Kill character T
  • Rewards / Consequences
    • Get Item
    • Get Ability
    • Get Money
    • Get Spell
    • Get Access to Area
    • Trigger new Quest
    • Trigger new Unit(s)
    • Assign unit(s) to your side
    • Trigger new object on map
    • Get Marriage Proposal
    • Get Experience
  • Participation
    • Just the Hero
    • Full group hero is in. (i.e. the whole freaking army he’s in)
  • Requirements
    • Does it require an adventuring technology?

Step #3: EXECUTION of quests

This is where we decide how these should be implemented. There are 3 obvious ways to do tihs.

One way is to simply code these in C++ but that eliminates modding.

Another way is to implement in XML which makes modding very easy but makes it hard for us to add additional quest types we haven’t thought of.

And finally, they could be implemented in a scripting language (Python) which makes it possible to create new quests but harder to mod.

I’m leaning towards combining the latter two.  Python used to script the mechanics with XML used to provide the actual quests.

Step #4: ACTUAL quests

Quest 1: Kill the rats
Type: Incidental
Trigger: On main map, player can zoom in on a city and see a “!” above one of the buildings. Player can then select one of his heroes and take them there which triggers the event.
Content: “Oh please help me, rats are infesting my Inn. If you can kill them, I’ll gladly give you 20 copper. Will you accept?”
Execution: Player is taken to a tactical battle with rats in the Inn. Only the Hero is allowed in.

Quest 2: Rescue Princess Genica
Type: Minor
Trigger/Conent: Upon the beginning of a new turn, a local noble has asked you to save his daughter Genica from a group of marauding bandits who are operating out of the ruins of one of Curgen’s old fortresses to the East.
Requires: Adventuring Level 2.
Execution: On accepting, a fortress is added to the map to the east. Only an army with a hero can attack it. If successful, you have the opportunity to wed Princess Genica.

Quest 3: Recover the Dragon’s egg
Type: Major
Trigger: Dragon icon on the map, when a hero-equipped army intersects tile, triggers event
Content: The Red dragon of Sythia is outraged that a manling has stolen her precious egg. Dragons only have offspring once a century or so. The dragon agrees to join your kingdom if you recover her egg. The egg was stolen by Calorax the Warlock who lives somewhere in the far north in the Pilgen mountains. Sythia does not know where Calorax is exactly but knows that the Witch of the Swamp knows someone who might know.
Execution: On accepting, a hut is added to the map in a swamp nearby.

Quest 3A: Dragon’s egg part 2
Content: Upon reaching the witch, she tells you that she has a map that will take you to Calorax’s lair that she agrees to give you if you bring her the scroll of Poisoned Claws which she knows is near the bottom of the old dungeon of Harpok to the south. She points out that in getting the scroll, you will be able to make use of that spell as well.
Execution: On accepting, the dungeon of Harpok appears on the map.

Quest 3B: Dragon’s egg part 3
Content: Upon entering the dungeon, you discover that a demon that fled to these deep places of the world after the cataclysm has taken refuge there. You can choose to battle the demon or exit and return later. If you battle the demon, the tactical battle screen comes up and you fight it out. If you win, you gain the scroll which you can then return to the witch. Returning to the witch gets you a map which triggers the fortress of Calorax to appear on the map.

Quest 3C: Dragon’s egg part 4
Content: Your army reaches the fortress of Calorax that you must conquer to rescue the egg. If you’re successful, you get the dragon’s egg which, if you return it to the dragon nets you the dragon (or you could sell the dragon’s egg for money elsewhere) who becomes a unit in your army.

So these are the kinds of things we’re thinking about.  Please feel free to add to this and discuss.

Locked Post 101 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
December 21, 2009 4:37:57 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Will there be some kind of drawback to failed quests ? Real drawbacks. You had to got that special egg ? You broke it ? It was a dragon's egg, and Mum isn't really in a good mood.

You speak of rewards/consequences, but you only say "get .. get ... get" ...".

Couldn't it also be "Lose .. Lose ... Lose ..." ?

December 21, 2009 4:53:20 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

December 21, 2009 5:00:24 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

What if you decide to keep the egg for yourself and hatch it? It could potentially hatch into a stronger dragon than mom. Or it could be weaker, and your gamble failed. And there is a chance that mom will find out that you kept the egg and will seek revenge/get it back.

I think each quest should have a variety of different consequences depending on how you "complete" it.

With the rats, there could be:

1. Kill the rats, get 20 copper
  2. Tell the inn keeper to deal with his own d@mn rats! The possible consequences of doing this are:
    1. He kills his own rats and everyone is happy
    2. He kills the rats, but isn't happy with you, decreasing the odds that inn will provide you a hero
    3. He kills the rats, but isn't happy with you, and keeps part of the income for himself
    4. He doesn't kill the rats, and eventually they spread out to other parts of the city, until the whole city is infested with them. And it turns out that some of them are carrying the plague. Now your city has the plague (possibly the trigger for a new quest?)

The more "major" the quest, the more possible outcomes for it, and the more ways to "complete" it.

For the dragon egg:

1. Complete it as in the OP, recruit the mom.
  2. Tell the mom where the egg is instead of getting it yourself. Might not get to recruit the mom, but get to see an opponent torn apart by a dragon.
  3. Vieuxchat's suggestion; you get it but the egg breaks, now mom is pissed at you.
  4. Keep the egg for yourself
    1. The egg hatches, and you get a better dragon for yourself
    2. The egg hatches, and it's a weakling
    3. The egg doesn't hatch, you have a very large omlet for breakfast
    4. The egg hatches, but the dragon doesn't like you and leaves to find its mother
    5. The mother finds out you kept the egg, and attacks your kingdom
  5. Don't do anything
    1. The dragon disappears
    2. The dragon is pissed at you for not helping her, your kingdom is attacked

And then there are all of the potential ways to "complete" the other parts of the quest.

I don't know, that might be a few too many options for the quests, but I think the more variety the better.

December 21, 2009 5:07:18 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

A possible trigger could be that another sovereign could offer you a quest via the diplomacy screen. Rewards could be of all types including the following;

A possible reward could be improved relations with another kingdom (this could be a reward for quests not necessarily initiated in the diplomacy screen).

Participation: a party, which could be defined numerous ways (two or more heroes, a hero and a stack to include no more than 10 others, etc) Trying to enter a tile that was a quest location could say "Your hero must select a maximum of x characters to accompany him"

I also like the idea of failing a quest sometimes having negative consequences.

December 21, 2009 5:24:36 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm thinking for some quests maybe it would be cool to not just have a normal tactical battle but instead a miniature dungeon to explore/clear.

(Basically a tactical battle with walls + possibly some other minor differences)

December 21, 2009 5:36:14 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Re timers, I hope one setting is something like "Come back victorious, or come back on your shield." If a major quest is major enough, I'd hope that the only hard turn limit on completing it will be which sovereign or champion gets there first.

vieuxchat is onto something. The Rewards / Consequences list is really more like Mostly Success Results, and a Sequel Link. How about Classes of Results: Success, Failure, and Other? Having Major Quests cost you something other than lost units could help make them clearly different from Minor Quests, and Other could leave room for all manner of fun things, such as links between the diplomacy system and quests.

December 21, 2009 5:59:16 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

If you're thinking of implementing tech requirements for some quests it could be interesting to add a fair few to the random techs that aren't guaranteed. So you just researched a new weapon, that tribe over there has has been using one like it for <insert large number> years and would like to teach you new techniques if you help them out. Or you could have a quest simulating the adpotion of a shiny new guild after you research a unique market-related tech.

"Come back victorious, or come back on your shield." That dude is an awesome idea. Who says quests *have* to be beneficial from the outset? You could put in a quest like the one the Oracle of Delphi gave Leonidas "A Spartan king will fall or Sparta will fall". Sacrifice a family member or face an invasion of big nasty muthas.

December 21, 2009 6:02:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

So far, so awesome.  I can't wait until the Quest beta.

I would like to see "Reach Location X" or "Move Object/Unit X to Location/Unit Y" conditions.  It seems more open-ended than "return object".  For example, "Move Chosen One to sword in stone", "Move magic ring to Mt. Doom" or "Move druid to heart of the forest".  While I'm at it, quest consequences do need to be able to remove items/units/world features as well as add them.

Is there any chance quests could require pre-existing circumstances other than techs?  Say, there's a random chance when walking into the dragon that her egg would be stolen by some independents, but if a player stole the egg she would definitely appeal to others for help and you'd have a nation to worry about instead of some demons?

December 21, 2009 6:06:03 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I like to see something that was proposed in the first post about quests, and that it's also explained in some of the replies in this one: options (not linear quests) and consequences (living world)

For example, in the dragon quest, in point 3A you could

1) Help the witch to get the scroll

2) Stole the map form the witch (which has as a consequence an angry witch attacking one of your cities/heroes)

3) kill the witch and get the map (this can have as a consequence a happy city that want to join your kingdom cause you have killed the terrible witch, or a unhappy city that declares war to you cause you have killed their beloved sage)

In 3B, you could

1) Fight the demon

2) Negotiate with the demon (and you will be known as a "friend of demond" thus lowering your relationships with other kingdoms)

3) Find a way to get the scroll without fighting, using some stealth abilities of a hero (the demon get upset and wreak havoc in the surrender area, for example)

I remember a very interesting post in the "Ideas" forum about this kind of quests/consequences that really contribute to create a living world. I know it's hard to implement, but it worths the effort

December 21, 2009 6:37:08 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

As far as that princess quest is concerned, perhaps if it was "Princess [closest town name]," The nobility there could have the last name of the town, and if that town's particular princess is missing you also know where to return her. I understand that that description of the quest was probably a placeholder, but I don't want to be rescuing the same princess every game (the same quest picture is fine, but the same name isn't)

Also what about quests from factions (or factions that have spawned off of you) to improve relations? Vanilla Sins had this, and it did get annoying, but it could be as simple as "give us money or we won't like you anymore" type of quest (Vanilla Sins, again had that, but it also had "blow X amount of things up, which may not be plausible at the moment, or we don't like you anymore").

Another quest could be "kidnap a rival princess and hold for ransom" that either you could initiate yourself or if a faction gave it to you, it wouldn't be timed (since kidnapping princess probably requires more planning than rescuing them). I'd like to see some more evil quests, you don't have to be nice

Also, where's my pink space ponies quest / random event?

December 21, 2009 6:43:58 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I agree that there should be a concequence to accepting but not fulfilling the quest. In the dragon quest, perhaps there should be an internal timer that if the quest isn't completed within a certain time, the dragon starts to ravege your lands and cities. If you sell the dragon egg or keep it for yourself, the dragon should attack you as well.

In the case of the Innkeeper, I like the suggestions indicated above although it could be trimmed to something like if the quest is turned down, there is a chance that the rats could spread harming harvest production.

Not all quests should have concequences, but maybe 10-20% should - just enough to make a character wary about accepting every quest that comes their way without thought that the quest givers are interested in getting their quest resolved. For example, Rescue the princess quest, if turned down perhaps the noble of the castle becomes an ally of your enemy or a neutral caste that needs to be conquered.

I would like to see quests tied into diplomacy as well. For example, you pledge to work out a deal between two warring nobles that involves bring peace to the land (and as long as there is war between them, productivity is down because it's being used by the war effort).

December 21, 2009 6:52:11 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Question. Can the game player initiate a quest in game? For example, in the dragon egg example above, could there be a game mechanic that allows the player to post a portion of the quest for those 'in game adverturers' to execute? In a sense, sublet the quest to a game directed party of adventurers?

Or if the player learns of a particular item in the game that they don't want to risk their hero for (or it appears to be too far away but the player would be willing to offer something - money, resources, marriage) for the 'game adverturers' to get?

THAT would be waay cool in my book.

December 21, 2009 7:00:07 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Further thought.

Taking the 'Ingame Adverturing Party' one step further. What if experience is given to that party making them stronger or the items given to them actually are allotted to the party for use from that point forward. Rulers could then cultivate/recruit these more experienced/successful 'Adventurering Parties' to aid in harder tasks. Sort of like mercenaries. Perhaps rulers could also grant resources to them (men/items/etc) to aid in their quests. However, the allocated resources are lost (they stay with the party) and the party is never under the control of the Players.

FWIW, Just thinking out loud.

December 21, 2009 8:18:59 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

A few thoughts:

1.Can quests be triggered by certain combinations of events? Neglecting a certain set of technologies for many turns, having certain buildings together in the same city, being militarily weak when encountering a dragon, etc.

"It seems that erecting a series of ratty inns next to our farm is not conducive to creating a large harvest. Shall I call for someone to deal with the rodent problem, sire?"

"It appears that the frequent magical teleportation of your army has caused one of your generals to go quite mad. I am told he circled 'round the encampment thrice backwards whilst screaming, "I can hear the aether!" before being subdued by his men. He also managed to speak several details about the location of a powerful artifact that may be of interest to you. His scribe pressed for more information, but alas the General was more concerned with attempting to consume his own boots. A search party, sire? As you wish. Shall I instruct them to find an artifact or would you prefer the General's corpse?"

2. Can quests that are finished/accepted by other players trigger quests for you? For example, let's say one of your enemies gets the "Rescue the Prince of Abellos" quest. One of your advisors might approach you and say, "Parriden soldiers have been spotted searching the countryside, and there are rumors that the Prince of Abellos has gone missing. This may be an excellent opportunity to properly 'dispose' of the Prince, weakening relations between Parriden and their vassals for years to come."

3. I'm the Sovereign; why would I accept quests? I should be the one giving them! Like nitey said, we should be able to contract out our dirty work to wandering bearknights or arcane bagel cults or whatever is out there these days. I bet you could do some interesting political and espionage-type stuff this way.

December 21, 2009 8:29:38 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

First a quibble. Please don't use "Minor" and "Major" to classify quest types like this. Because you know it'll put everyone in the frame of mind that map quests are "epic" and timeline based qusts are "insignificant". I might recommend terms like Geo-Quests or Chrono-Quests to indicate location triggers or time triggers.

I hope late in the game the number of turns will trigger "epic" "save the world" type quests. I also want hearty less significant quests like "stop the rat plague".

Second... what Vieuxchat said!

December 21, 2009 9:56:17 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Two things:

1. What about the balance between strategy and RPG? Quests definately makes the game more an RPG, but it depends a lot also on how they are made. Just don't forget that the more powerful they are the more they start interfering with the strategic dimension, that's why it's important to make them difficult (and with penalties if you fail) if there is an important reward. I definately want quests in the game, but they shouldn't upset the balance of your planning and decide the outcome of the whole game ... You should win a war against an enemy by strategy, not by getting lucky in a single combat to get the Magical Sword (or whatever).

2. The SD quest examples are ok, but please note that this is mostly generic stuff. How many times haven't we already cleaned up the basement from rats and insects ...   Just make sure that some unique and more specific quests to Elemental are also included, not just kill creature x etc. They are fun, but some creative thinking would make it even better!

December 21, 2009 10:22:45 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I have some problems with the "Rat" quest.  It's cliche and more than a little silly.  Large numbers of rats don't just appear (without magical help maybe).  A major rat infestation in one of your city's buildings should indicate a significant problem not a chance for quick cash.  Furthermore the idiot who let it happen should be replaced not helped.  Now if one solution is to buy 10 coppers worth of cats and let them clean up the mess without stooping to killing rodents yourself, that might be acceptable.

I agree that there should be more than one solution to quests and consequences for failing.

December 21, 2009 10:30:29 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

This is a small thing, but I think it could help with that "soul" stuff you were talking about.

Aside from actual in game rewards, include cosmetic ones. Maybe the hero gets a special insignia on his armor or cloak. Maybe he gets a feather or a special banner to carry in any armies he works with. Maybe he just plain gets a medal. Giving a player control over that could be useful too, but my point is that these little cosmetic differences do a lot to make the game world feel personalized.

So think in terms of aesthetic rewards as well as tangible ones. Also, leave markers or statues or something on the map where a major quest event was concluded with some details about it. I'm actually thinking about Medieval II Total War's Major Battle markers, but obviously tailored for a hero-questing vibe instead of an army-conquering vibe (though major tactical battle markers might not be a bad idea either).

December 21, 2009 10:37:43 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I agree with nitey and Jalicos, sovereigns subletting or issuing quests is a great idea!

I also like the idea in reply #12, that the game would have persistent NPC heroes who could be hired on contract, but wouldn't be "your" heroes. It sounds like a couple ideas I think were mentioned before, regarding independent organizations and independent kingdoms, not quite sure where those are... It would be cool to have NPCs who either begin with or develop throughout the game distinct identities, ethical alignments, and relationships/loyalties to the sovereigns, and to see those NPCs grow in reputation and power. That would really contribute to the "living world" feel.

December 21, 2009 11:09:09 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I don't think that having independant heroes would be that cool tbh. Sending off quests to other kingdoms would be cool but heroes and/or parties would get way to micro for what I'm figuring the game will go. Having a list on recruitable heroes that specifies quests that they can, can't and demand to do personally would add quite a bit of soul to the game, especially if a hero's skillset isn't entirely in line with their values.

What I mean is a hero from a Knightly order wouldn't debase himself as to help out on an evil-oriented quest, but would certainly help rescue the damsel. A newly promoted governor, as another example, would *love* to prove himself should the right quest pop up but he may not have the experience to do it quite as well as the old gov' in the heart of your kingdom. This method could add quite a lot of intrigue, not unlike what you've said about vassals and splinter-kingdoms run by family members.

December 21, 2009 11:19:38 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Regarding penalties for failing quests - I think a lot of care needs to be taken. If I try to get the dragon's egg back, but fail, then chances are I already paid a heavy price, and as I failed I get nothing in reward. For example, let's say I get all the way to the last leg and discover the location of this fortress I need to assault. I gather an army and attack; failing this means I lose my army (or most of it) - having a dragon ravage my lands (for what, trying to help it? because that makes no sense) wouldn't be necessary. The loss of an army would be penalty enough, not to mention all the time and resources I spent getting to that stage in the quest!

Explicit penalties can be good sometimes, but they should be approached with caution IMO, as an implicit penalty tends to come hand-in-hand with failure.

I do agree that we should be given choices in quests, and that each choice should have its own consequences. I also would like for some consequences to be time-delayed, possibly by quite a bit. There really is no better way to make a world feel alive than to have the consequences of your actions manifest at some distant point in the future. Steal the egg and wait for it to hatch? 20 turns later the mother discovers what you've done and attacks you; 10 turns after that the egg hatches; your new dragonling slowly gets stronger as it grows, etc. Hatching the egg might produce a weaker dragon than the mother, but perhaps a much more loyal one than the mother would have been. These times shouldn't necessarily be set in stone, and there should be multiple potential consequences for choices like this (as mentioned above by several others). 

December 22, 2009 12:39:19 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

What about global quests? I am talking about quests that either both sovereigns may obtain (and the faster wins), and quests that trigger a counter-quest for your opponent?

December 22, 2009 1:33:27 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Concerning the Incidental quests.

I think there should be some kind of filter for these. In the early and, perhaps, the middle part of the game, receiving the 20 copper for completing a relatively easy quest like killing the rats could be very appealing, especially if your kingdom is strapped for cash. However, in the late part of the game, when you may not be as strapped for cash, such a quest would not be very appealing. And so these will largely be ignored at this point and may become annoying. Of course, if the frequency of these Incidental quests in late game is low, then I can't imagine it being annoying. On the other hand, even in the late game, where perhaps the financial condition of your kingdom is not so good, perhaps a quest such as this would be appealing once again.

December 22, 2009 2:42:30 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

This seems too formulaic to me. I don't want to deliver a potion to a princess. I don't want to kill rats. I don't want to deliver a special widget to special npc "A".

I recall playing Age of Wonders and really enjoying exploring a crypt or dungeon for xp and loot. Nobody told me to. I also recall enjoying building up my experienced army in Panzer General 2 through nothing more than combat, Adolf didn't bark in my ear about traveling 3 tanks across such and such river. The key here is what we are gaining XP for, not how we gain the xp.

If you must have quests outside of exploring a crypt or taking out the hag in the local dungeon then try this. Take a friday night out on the company card with plenty beer and beer and pizza with more beer (or wine) along with a voice recorder (ok a notepad will do). Gather info, call the designated driver, take one half day off, then implement the best ideas.

I will repeat, the key here is what we are gaining experience for not how we gain the experience. The XP is just currency. If the character development, strategic gameplay, and tactical combat is truly good enough, then running an errand for character x should seem almost out of place. A sideshow if you will.

December 22, 2009 3:25:57 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Grogtank,
This seems too formulaic to me. I don't want to deliver a potion to a princess. I don't want to kill rats. I don't want to deliver a special widget to special npc "A".

I recall playing Age of Wonders and really enjoying exploring a crypt or dungeon for xp and loot. Nobody told me to. I also recall enjoying building up my experienced army in Panzer General 2 through nothing more than combat, Adolf didn't bark in my ear about traveling 3 tanks across such and such river. The key here is what we are gaining XP for, not how we gain the xp.

If you must have quests outside of exploring a crypt or taking out the hag in the local dungeon then try this. Take a friday night out on the company card with plenty beer and beer and pizza with more beer (or wine) along with a voice recorder (ok a notepad will do). Gather info, call the designated driver, take one half day off, then implement the best ideas.

I will repeat, the key here is what we are gaining experience for not how we gain the experience. The XP is just currency. If the character development, strategic gameplay, and tactical combat is truly good enough, then running an errand for character x should seem almost out of place. A sideshow if you will.

This is a really good point! don't fall into the quest for it's own sake pitfall.

On another note: I am flabbergasted that noone sees the natural connection between the discussion about how to make cool cities, and how to make cool quests. These two things need to be integrated! this is what creates narrative, that the quests are not out of context (rats or dragon eggs or any other generic random fantasy quest), but instead are in context like these:

1: Destroy the assassins guild A in the capital X, quest received by the merchant prince Z of the same city, because the assassins and merchants guild is feuding. REWARD: merchants love you (-10% prices), but assassins dislike you (-x assassins guild rep, chance of random assassination attempts every month until rep is above 0 again)

2. The guard captain X in the small township of Y, asks you to eliminate the bandit threat A close to the hamlet, because they prey on the village. REWARD: heigtened productivity or morale in the city, or cheaper wares for the hero? Succes unlocks small town, and allows town to upgrade to large town (because of the heightened security in the area).

3. The Miller/Mayor of the Hamlet X offers you a treasure map to the local undead infested ancient crypts Y, in return for you building a city wall around the hamlet within Z months, because he feels his hamlet is not well protected.

4. Your richest town A was the victim of a daring heist by the thieves guild from city B who stole all the taxes from the last year (XYZ gold). The lord of the city asks for your help to find and recover the money, or the city walls will fall into disrepair. REWARD: The ability to call on a contingent of guards for your army, when within x miles of the city. - rep with thieves guild, your hero may randomly get an item stolen (new quest to recover?) until rep is up again.

again this requires that you use actual dynamic game data in your scripting, but it should be much much more rewarding, although also more difficult to script than the simplistic quests described above. But imagine how much soul this would inject into the game! dynamic quests based on how the game actually plays out!

This also begs an area based achievement/reputation system for heroes, groups and notable persons.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000594   Page Render Time: