MOM 1.31 on DOSBox

By on December 15, 2009 9:39:57 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Winnihym

Join Date 03/2006
+17

Hey, folks,

After Frog's excellent trip down memory lane, I pulled back up MOM and DOSBox to start reminding myself about what simplicity can accomplish.  One thing, though, I have the 1.31 patch, but I don't know how to patch the game!  I seem to recall that if you patched it, you'd see a little "v1.31" in the bottom of the options screen.  I copied all the executables and LBX files from the patch into the game directory, but didn't see this.  Could a more tech savvy person than me tell me what to do to patch the game?

Thanks!

Winni

Locked Post 11 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
December 15, 2009 4:08:02 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The version number is displayed only on the save/load screen, not on the main menu. You do indeed patch the game by simply overwriting the old files with the new ones.

December 18, 2009 9:45:59 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Since there's enough Master of Magic threads around here I'll hijack this one

I've googled around but can't find the answer. Not even the manual got this one:

What are the exact consequenses of the difficulty lvls?

I'm guessing that amongt the other things, they get lots of free gold and mana judging from how much they got all the time....I checked them from the Magic menu and with a lowly 3(!) fame they had like 3-5 heroes each while I had Brax the (useless) Dwarf....

I've failed three times in a row (my first three times of playing it on DOSbox ever) with Rjak on Impossible but I don't want to take choose broken Life magic (though I'm close to doing that since one win on Impossible would be nice!)

I also don't do any diplomacy what so ever since I consider any trading with A.Is to be abusive.

December 19, 2009 5:15:11 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Master of magic official strategy guide, page 397

From the master of magic official strategy guide, page 397.

That anwsers your question about difficulty settings?

December 19, 2009 5:48:24 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Good Old Games, gog.com, is having a special on the MOM series this weekend. I think Impulse only carries the last in the series. Apologies if I missed it.

December 19, 2009 10:27:46 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Man you're like a tome of knowledge Netriak!

I'm surprised there's no equivalent difficultylvl. Already 150% gold, mana, food and prod.pts on Normal! No wonder Impossible was so difficult....300% gold, mana, food and prod.pts....oh well gonna use the High Elves instead of Gnolls this time around....and a custom wizard!  Hmm perhaps Chaos magic....

December 19, 2009 6:51:03 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Wile, that's Might and Magic, not Master of Magic, no such series there.

December 22, 2009 8:48:55 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I've read the entire manual about three times now but I need some advice.

Here's my setup:

• 8 Death books
  • Myrran
  • Dark Elves
  • Hard

Do you lose fame for razing Village and higher or is it 5000 population and higher?

Can you raze a town in some way except for turning it into settlers?

Should I raze everything else since I'm Dark Elf?    Dwarves and Trolls don't seem to like me that much but making settlers and building up those towns take ages!      The latest Dwarven town I captured have Adamantium, Mithril and Gold ore. I guess I should start pumping stuff from that city after I gotted a Fighters Guild and an Alchemists Guild ?

December 24, 2009 5:17:32 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

The fame loss for razing a town is equal to the fame loss of losing one to the enemy.

No fame loss for an outpost (no build que yet and such)

Otherwise you lose 1 fame for every 4 thousand units of population, rounded up. So a 6.500 population town equals two fame lost if you raze it.

After having conquered a town, you can indeed no longer raze it, just turn them into settlers. This does not result in loss of fame though.

Dark elves are the most hated of all races. If your enchanted fortress is in an dark elf city you generally get 20% extra rebels in conquered cities. This is on top off the percentage created by taxation: the two percentages are added.

Barbarians only get 10% unrest if conquered by dark elves. Dwarves and trolls, as you noticed get a massive 30% extra unrest. With default taxation that becomes 50%, or half the population. High elves are worst, getting 40% extra unrest.

But should you raze everything then? I say no. The fame is too important too lose, since every point of fame reduces your army upkeep by one, making having a large army actually viable. And dark elves lack the population growth rate to colonize the entire world in an acceptable time frame. Death magic, is not ideal in reducing unrest, so that will not help you either.

Making dwarven units is a good idea, the military units do not suffer from the racial tension. For maximum productivity, do not have dark rituals in that city, and have 8 units of garrison (normal units). The garrison will reduce unrest by 4, which you will need due to lack of advanced unrest reduction buildings in that dwarven cities. With default tax rate, maximum garrison and a temple, you should be able to have up to 12 units of population without rebels. A decent production speed should be manageable.

Remember that the most special units of the dark elves are the night blades and the warlocks. Warlocks because of their doom bolt spell ability, night blades because of their invisibility. Also try using dwarven engineers for road building. Since all roads on myrror are enchanted, (free movement) and dwarven engineers build roads at double speed, that gives you a massive tactical advantage. To prevent the enemy from using this network against you by instantly reaching undefended or poorly defended cities, strategically place lone night blade units at choke points in your road network. They cannot be seen, thus cannot be evaded. After accidentally attacking them, the enemy cannot move any further and thus can be intercepted by your armies in the next move. And due to invisibility, you night blade should be able to survive just fine.

December 26, 2009 10:28:21 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Replying on chrismas eve is generous

Something else I really want to know, is how exactly is XP shared?   Do the unit killing gets extra XP?   Do units get XP for units that get killed by summoned unit? (which can't get XP themselves.)

So if a Shadow Demon kill two spearmen units singlehandedly do my hero and Warlock share the XP from the dead spearmen?

December 27, 2009 4:07:15 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Experience is not shared in master of magic. Every battle participant gains the full amount, as if said participant defeated the entire army on its own. The amount of experience gained for a unit participating in a successful battle is solely dependent on the enemy forces.

December 27, 2009 4:52:41 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Really useful to know. I say it's a bad designdecision but better then what Age of Wonders had. Here's for all your help btw 

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000141   Page Render Time: