It is time to talk about QUESTS!

By on December 13, 2009 6:51:14 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1477

For our brave and daring beta testers who are playing through the prototype betas (Beta 1 and the forthcoming Beta 2) it’s probably hard to imagine Elemental having role playing aspects. But the quest system is a big deal in the game.

You ever play D&D? Or maybe (as I did) Fantasy Hero? You are exploring a world, going into dungeons, and generally wreaking havoc in some poor guy’s kingdom.

Well, in Elemental, you’re that poor guy – the king of that kingdom.  There will be parties of adventurers running around the world.  Maybe next time you and your buddies get together and accidentally set free a Balor and run away from it that you’ll feel a pang of sorrow for the poor king who has to clean up after the mess you make.

This is what Beta testers see

This is what the same thing looks like in the actual game.

In this thread, we want to discuss specifics. What types of quests would you like to see in the game? Programmatically, we’re leaning towards using Python to create quest templates with XML to create derivative quests.

For example, the old “fetch me the gauntlet of Mordon and I will give you the ring of radiance” quest would have its details done in XML but the actual mechancis of the quest would be done in Python.  That way, modders and such can create additional quests later on and share with people. Non-coders can then use a built in editor to create quests using the existing templates.

So now…

What specifically would you like to see?

I.e. list some quests you would like to see in the game. Be as specific as possible and we’ll try to get them in.

Locked Post 176 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
December 13, 2009 7:00:55 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

What an interesting question!

*Geoff the slug lives in a swamp and recently had a bunch of sluglings.  You need to take his sluglings into some sort of magically protected cave where they can grow in relative safety. But when you get there you find that a colony of slime monsters has made a home inside, so to make it safe for the geofflings you have to clear out the slimes.

*The silver surfer dropped the infinity gauntlet somewhere on your continent. FIND IT!

December 13, 2009 7:08:25 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quest archetypes I’d like to see.

1. Defeat X in a One on One duel (My personal favorite. I would love to see some epic one on one battles setup at the conclusion of certain quests.

2. Find relic X’s missing parts and reunite them (These types of quests could really be awesome. Sometimes you could get a powerful new item or it could release some ancient evil)

3. Save village from threat X. (Tired but true it is always fun to rescue a village from impending doom from trolls, bandits, a giant spider or whatnot)

4. Solve mysterious death or disappearance of important person X. (These quests are always pretty fun since they have such potential for plot twists along the way. Will the person still be alive? Who was responsible and why? I love trying to solve a mystery before it is revealed.)

December 13, 2009 7:10:57 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Anything but kill 10 random mobs quests. Or, collect a dozen daffodil quests.

I've come up with:

Defend a neutral town from the army of Black Death.

Defend a shrine from the army of Random Pillagers.

Resurrect the town of Ancienty which was destroyed a thousand years ago.

December 13, 2009 7:12:46 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

*Kill 10 rats in the basement...[e digicons]:X[/e]

Are they Quests for our Sovereign/Heroes? Are they Quests that we can offer to those adventurers? The Quests could be done by both groups so if I don't want to send a Hero to solve "The Quest for the Holy Pot" I could offer it to the "public"? (hmm a la Majesty 2 but as something that happens in the background)

December 13, 2009 7:16:07 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

darkodin is good at counting! 1 1 1 1.  *poo he fixed it*

A prince is doing poorly in his studies, help him get his grades up.

There can be a lot of ways to do this one. You could go the adventuring route and seek a sage from a mountain to tutor him.  You could build a lot of educational buildings and have the prince move into that town.  You could use your economic might to bribe the school officials.  use your military to intimidate the school officials.

December 13, 2009 7:29:46 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I was thinking that quests would be initiated something like this.

You'd find a hut or whatever it would trigger the quest and if accepted, a new object on the map would be generated where the player would go to for the next part of the quest.

December 13, 2009 7:36:55 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

An ancient evil is terrorizing the city!

Do you:

Collect the pieces to an artifact to seal away the ancient evil?

Fight and defeat the ancient evil?

Negotiate with the ancient evil, and send it to rampage in the enemy's kingdom?

December 13, 2009 7:38:05 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Are they Quests for our Sovereign/Heroes? Are they Quests that we can offer to those adventurers?

This is what's confusing me.  I'd thought quests were something we would do, but the Journal implies that it would be NPCs doing these things.  But now Frogboy's latest post implies it would be us doing it.  So confused...

By the way, I do like the idea of us, as the sovereign, being able to offer quests for NPCs to accomplish.  It would be an interesting route to accomplishing things, including causing trouble for other kingdoms (i.e. use NPCs as Privateers, by offering rewards for doing unpleasant things to your opponents).

December 13, 2009 7:39:00 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

I was thinking that quests would be initiated something like this.

You'd find a hut or whatever it would trigger the quest and if accepted, a new object on the map would be generated where the player would go to for the next part of the quest.

That picture is deserving of another dialogue option!  
"Come back with a new face and maybe I'll help you"

also I like the idea of both being able to take quests ourselves and to give quests to adventurers who are wrecking our kingdoms.

December 13, 2009 7:39:07 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

How about:

Your grand son has fallen in love with the beautiful grand child of your sworn enemy, who is of course a complete bastard to her.  Rescue her from the heart of enemy territory so they can be united.  For bonus points, bring about peace and a firm alliance in the process.

or:

Journey to the tallest peak in the Aspiring Ranges in time for the Summer equinox.  Bring X and Y with you (could be materials, people, monsters, whatever).  Perform an incantation to summon the Broken Champion - a legendary hero of old

December 13, 2009 7:42:49 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Wait a minute, is the player going to do the quests, or is he going to be the quest-giver?

The second possibility could be interesting, if coupled with random events.

Example :

Event : You got rats in your basement -> -10 prestige every turn while they are there

Solution 1 : Send your army to clean up -> lower army morale

Solution 2 : Create a "kill rats in the channeler basement" quest, which any hero could decide on taking up or not.

Sadly, this possibility would turn the game too much into Majesty, which is probably not the goal...

December 13, 2009 7:48:26 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Two general requests I've got, rather than specific quests:

1.  This first one I swear has been discussed at some point (?):  I'd love to be able to post quests for the heroes that I don't control.  Maybe there's some trolls or spiders or some other kinds of jerks wreaking havoc, and I'm in the middle of a war so I don't have time/troops to deal with them.  I'd love to be able to offer a quest for those intrepid heroes.  Heck, I'd love to be able to sub-let my quests that I've accepted too, if that's what it takes to get them done on time.

2.  Quests should be linkable in their XML data  into a questline.  Whether this is considered steps 1-10 of some long quest, or whether each step is a quest, and they're linked together into a some greater entity, I think it's the way to go.  These should be branchable too.  Small example:

a.  Retrieve the Widget of Awesome from the Cave of Catastrophe for Wimpy Wally.

b.  (5 turns later) Ferocious Fred says that he'll pay double what Wimpy Wally offered if you give the Widget of Awesome to him instead.

c.  (if a completed):  Wise Wally (upgraded from Widget of Awesome, naturally), believes he has figured out a magic elixir recipe, but still needs Poison Pollen to brew it. 

d.  (if b completed):  Fierce Fred (is that even an upgrade from Ferocious?) now tries to kill Wise Wally (both spawn as NPCs on the map now).  Clearly your kingdom isn't big enough for the both of them...

December 13, 2009 7:54:10 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The cost having to post quests to npc adventurers?  prestige. and an adequate reward for it.

December 13, 2009 7:55:13 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I heard you saying sometime that adventurers would go around on their own initiative and look for stuff to do. I don't know if I was just completely imagining that, but something like that would be interesting. A bunch of adventurers just poking around in ruins and such for their own amusement would be awesome.

I also think it'd be interesting to give out the quests yourself... like you could put a bounty on a monster and they'd go attack it, or if some dungeon was causing you problems you could hire adventurers to clear it out.

I'd like quests of consequence. Meaning, a problem arises in the kingdom, for example, a dungeon starts exuding an evil aura or something that kills people or turns the local area into an evil swamp or something. You send adventurers out to nip it in the butt. However, if you don't do anything about it, it gets worse and worse until the area around the dungeon is uninhabitable.

I'm in favor of fewer, larger quests rather than numerous petty ones. There should be something actually at stake and of importance.

December 13, 2009 7:55:17 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I see quests as being fairly complex, but made up of different amounts and combinations of a limited number of "bricks" and "limitations":

Some examples of "bricks":

• Go to point X on the map.
  • Kill thing X on the map.
  • Make sure person X does not die for Y number of turns.
  • Get relations/treaty X with person Y.
  • Stay alive for X number of turns.
  • Cast spell X.
  • Accumulate X number of item Y.
  • and so on

Limitations would be thing like timers, avoid this type of terrein, don't be seen by these units, and so on. You would then make a questout of these pieces like so:

Rescue the alchemist

1. Timer of one week.
  2. Find scroll of dungeonyness in Some Lost Tower.
  3. Visit the Wheel Of Wye in cave Y.
  4. Go collect three Fish Heads Of Faint Disgust.
  5. Return to the Wheel Of Wye In Cave Y with the three FHsOFD before they spoil in one day.
  6. Go to the Dungeon Of Imrunningoutofnames.
  7. Pay the gaurd there 5 bajillion gold.
  8. Fight the Big Butt-Kicking Butt-Kicker.
  9. Make sure the Alchemist doesn't die as he moves back across the map to Castle Aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........
December 13, 2009 8:01:42 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting MagicwillNZ,

I'm in favor of fewer, larger quests rather than numerous petty ones. There should be something actually at stake and of importance.

I'm in favor of both

December 13, 2009 8:03:17 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

This one seems pretty obvious, but no one has suggested it yet, so I guess I will:

"An evil dragon is terrorizing one of your towns, go stop it!"

Alternatives on this would be "An evil dragon is terrorizing someone else's town, save the town and you get a relations bonus with them!"

Or, "An evil dragon kidnapped your daughter, save her before she is eaten!"

And one more, "An evil dragon kidnapped the daughter of nation X, save her and you get a relations bonus with nation X/can marry her/can have her marry your son, etc"

December 13, 2009 8:05:53 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting kyogre12,

And one more, "An evil dragon kidnapped the daughter of nation X, save her and you get a relations bonus with nation X/can marry her/can have her marry your son, etc"

/execute her after the rescue and send her head back  to nation x, starting a war

December 13, 2009 8:24:46 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I have yet to see this, but I would love quests that effect the map, relations, and other such things.

For example there could be a bunch pillaging orges and you could choose to fight them, if you don't then they might set up camp and start raiding random villiages.

The second thing I would love to see is that quests unlock truly unique content, instead of just +150 gold. Think along the lines of unlocking the ability to research new and unique technologies, spells, and the such. For example if you kill a horde of rampaging slugs, you might gain the abilitiy to research Summon Slugs.

December 13, 2009 8:29:03 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting KellenDunk,
~

*Geoff the slug lives in a swamp and recently had a bunch of sluglings.  You need to take his sluglings into some sort of magically protected cave where they can grow in relative safety. But when you get there you find that a colony of slime monsters has made a home inside, so to make it safe for the geofflings you have to clear out the slimes.

~

[e digicons]<3[/e]

December 13, 2009 8:35:17 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I definitely think rewards are important.  Maybe some rinky-dink quests have mundane rewards, but I think rewards should stretch across all the game mechanics.  Rewards should also be signficant for signficant quests, balance is not as important as the coolness factor of rewards (difficulty level can be the balancing force, not altering the rewards, but just in giving the ai so many advantages anyway).  There is nothing lamer than doing something significant in a game for a trivial reward.

1. The quest results in a suped up hero character for hire. (Possibly he was imprisoned in a dungeon, or bound to a demon that has to be slain to release him).

2. The quest results in a book which gives a skill to the sovereign (ex. one of the powerful bonuses that can be chosen at startup.

3. The quest results in an advanced spell for the sovereign.

4. The quest results in an artifact that has kingdom-wide bonuses (ex.  increased production, morale, wealth)

5.  You resolve a quest originating from another kingdom, thus there are kingdom-wide penalties for that kingdom because you successfully completed it.  For instance, certain towns can have issues and if another kingdom solves them, that causes problems for the home kingdom (potentially flipping the city).

6. Solving a quest has an unexpected effect, like one of the random events in Gal Civ 2, possibly good and possibly bad.

7. A special unit becomes availble to the sovereign (like the dragon or something else).

8. A neutral town joins your kingdom.

9. A fountain imbues one hero character with several levels worth of attribute enhancements.

10. Solving a menacing creature invasion results in gifts and positive diplomatic effects from other kingdoms.

December 13, 2009 8:39:53 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Given marriage/bloodlines/whatever are an important part of the game, I'd like to see some quests related to that.

"Why yes, your son can marry my daughter! Once he brings me the head of the Dragon ScaleyBalls who hides in the mountains nearby."

December 13, 2009 8:45:48 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting KellenDunk,

Quoting kyogre12,
reply 17

/execute her after the rescue and send her head back  to nation x, starting a war

That too[e digicons][/e]

December 13, 2009 8:46:21 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'd love to see a bunch of quests to "Find the right group of Adventurers".

Quest: A Plague of Spiders

Triggering Event: Spiders entered the town's borders and were not defeated. Quest is automatically accepted.

Effect: Spiders are spreading throughout the city and multiplying by feeding off pets and anyone they can find alone at night. -Prestige and -Gold until the Plague is ended.

Hunting down spiders isn't worth a sovereign's time, so you'll need to find a group of Adventurers that don't mind risking their lives for a few measly gold. You can find recruit suitable adventurers by moving to the following locations:

1. The dungeon of nearby "kingdom/empire" city "_______"

2. The dungeon of local swamp "______"

3. There is a chance of finding some drunken sots who can accomplish the deed in a local Inn. (Visit one of your cities with an Inn and a small % chance of adventurers being there)

Reward: Plague of Spiders is ended. +X Prestige for 15 turns, -X gold upon completion. Small chance of low level hero being recruitable.

December 13, 2009 9:07:41 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'd also like some quests to recruit Adventurers:

Quest: "The Necromancer of Aberdeen"

Triggering Event: Random event at appropriate levels for a sovereign with few Heros.

Effect: Local Tower becomes a quest dungeon

Life Magic users:

The Necromancer of Aberdeen has imprisoned a Hero who almost managed to defeat him and his army. Someone who was able to almost defeat the Necromancer and his army would certainly be of great service to you. Perhaps we could personally put the Necromancer in his place and liberate his prisoner to become a loyal Hero of our army.

Death Magic users:

The Necromancer of Aberdeen is a prisoner of his own Castle after a band of Self-Righteous "Heroes" laid waste to the ritual defenses which gave him control of his undead army. If you could personally fight your way past his rogue minions and defeat those adventuring Crusaders then the Necromancer would certainly appreciate a chance to lead a new army in the service of your powerful Empire.

Dungeon:

The local dungeon is a combat for the sovereign. If he wins then an advanced  hero (Righteous Warrior or Foul Necromancer) becomes available for recruitment at no cost to the Sovereign. There is also a chance to discover random artifacts or other useful items from the dungeon.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000297   Page Render Time: