Armada 2526: New 4X space strategy game in November 2009.

By on November 20, 2009 5:07:17 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Wade_Smith

Join Date 03/2006

Armada 2526

New 4X space strategy game in November 2009.

"Armada 2526 continues the great tradition of space opera games. You guide your race from its first interstellar journeys. until it becomes a mighty galactic empire. Along the way, you'll explore the galaxy, conduct research, diplomacy and trade, found new colonies, maneuver mighty star fleets, and fight epic battles."

Company: http://www.ntronium.com/Armada2526%20Home.html

Publisher: http://www.matrixgames.com/products/376/details/Armada.2526

Publisher Forum(most active): http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=758

Company Forum(activity is growing): http://ntronium.com/simplemachinesforum/index.php

About The Founder

R.T.Smith (aka Bob) has been creating strategy and war games for more than 20 years. Most recently he was the project director and lead designer for Medieval 2 Total War, having previously served as designer and programmer on the previous Total War Games.

He also created a number of acclaimed strategy and wargames for publishers such as Lothlorien, CCS, Linel and Interstel.

Main Titles

• Medieval 2: Total War
  • Rome: Total War
  • Medieval: Total War
  • Shogun: Total War
  • Armada 2525
  • Encyclopedia of War:Ancient Battles
  • Vulcan
  • Desert Rats
  • Arnhem
  • Confrontation
  • He has also worked on the development of console games, and been involved with the design of a 3D graphics chip.

-----

Powerful AI

The artificial intelligence routines have been created by an expert in the field, to provide AI players that are both worthy adversaries, and opponents that are fun to play against. The A.I.has been built into the game from the beginning of development, and updated to take advantage of new game features as they are added, giving the developers the maximum time to polish its behavior. This is in contrast to many games, where the AI is tacked on at the end of development.

Of course the same powerful routines developed for the opponents, are also available to assist the player in managing their empire, and to offer game play advice.

Game-Play Driven Development

Although Armada 2526 has glorious sound and graphics that inspire and immerse the player, the main focus is providing a great game play experiences. Whereas the majority of games created today develop their graphics engine first, leaving game play and AI to the end of development, Armada 2526 has been developed "game-play" first allowing it to be tested refined and polished while graphics and sound are being added

Locked Post 52 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
November 27, 2009 5:31:23 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Waiting for it to be released in Impulse too.... (already 3 days late sigh!)

November 27, 2009 5:38:00 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Timmaigh,

You have a quite good computer, Thoumsin

Typing error... 16 gb ram and not 166 gb ...

The computer is similar to a top Mac pro but having put the piece myself together, it is around 66% cheaper...

In fact, it is a work station, something between desktop and server class... use it mainly for professional 3D work... that the computer is very good with game is a side effect, not the main goal...

Now, about the minor problem with Armada 2526, it is not very different that with other game... remember sins at the beginning... problem with nvidia driver ( fault from nvidia ), problem with vista ( a microsoft patch have resolve it ), balance issue, online sync problem, etc...

Armada 2526 is just out a few days ago, let see what it will become with time... don't know ntronium but i know Matrix game... they are very good at maintain their game...

The best conclusion is these of "PC game" : With more time to tweak and balance the design, and give an extra push to the visuals and audio Armada 2526 could very be a compelling alternative to the reigning kings of the 4X sci-fi game.

November 28, 2009 7:59:30 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I've been playing Armada 2526 for the last two nights off and on. I'm bouncing back and forth between Armada, King Arthur, and Dragon Age. I just don't have enough time to play all the games I want these days. It's ok so far but it definitely needs some tweaking to really shine. The camera control for the battles is atrocious and the UI needs a lot of functionality added to it. It also needs to be able to remember custom game settings which it currently doesn't.

What saddens me is I spent like 50 bucks on it and I'm already looking at having to mod it to make it fun and a little more balanced. Missile Carriers are way overbalanced. It's an alright little game though. It definitely has that old MoO vibe to it.

November 28, 2009 8:24:11 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Been waiting for Impulse to get their act together and finally add it to their downloads.

Maybe it has been a blessing in disguise and best waiting until a few patches come out. For those who have the game is it worth paying £25 now or waiting?

November 28, 2009 10:19:39 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

it's definetly worth it if you're looking for an old school 4x experience.

November 28, 2009 11:06:59 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

But do the balance issues i'm hearing hurt the game too much? I know it's a new game and the future patches will sort it out, that is why I was wondering if it's worth waiting a few weeks.

November 28, 2009 11:34:35 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Baron Zinq,
But do the balance issues i'm hearing hurt the game too much? I know it's a new game and the future patches will sort it out, that is why I was wondering if it's worth waiting a few weeks.

Balance issue are not the actual problem... bugs are !!! And they are numerous... range from memory leak to impossibility to save via outofmemory after a few turn and more... certainly more that 50% of the post on the ntroniums forum are related to problem or bugs...

Will not wait a patch to much long since the refund policy of Matrix game is only 14 days for digital download...

I bet that if the game is not yet on Impulse, it is because Stardock don't wish release a defect product... it have already gurt their good reputation in the past with other defect game...

My advice is don't buy until the bugs and memory leak are resolved... balance is something other that you can tune yourself if you wish... by the way, with the sins experience, the balance who will please someone will not be welcome by someone other... main complain is that the human race seem to be weak... when in fact, they are very good in research who in the long term make them very powerful ( if the game don't crash before)...

November 28, 2009 12:07:28 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

well, looks like not everyone is suffering from the bugs. like with every game. i never suffered from memory leaks, for example.

i suppose you're hinting at the demigod multiplayer disaster with stardocks reputation loss. well, it didn't hurt stardocks reputation in my books - they handled it quite admirably, although not as fast as you'd expect it from behemoths like blizzard.

and i don't know why you are exaggerating the number of bug posts that much. a quick look at the post count of the forums says otherwise:

http://ntronium.com/simplemachinesforum/index.php

by the way, it's a wonder that matrix has a refund policy AT ALL, given that their digital downloads come without any kind of copy protection. they even encourage people to backup the files on CDs.

waiting is always a good advice. given enough time, every game will only cost a fraction of it's original price. but if the question is "Is the entertainment value worth it's price right now", then the answer is a definite yes.

btw. most complaints are by people who haven't grasped yet how to not ruin their empire's economy.

November 28, 2009 8:44:35 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Aroddo,
i suppose you're hinting at the demigod multiplayer disaster with stardocks reputation loss. well, it didn't hurt stardocks reputation in my books - they handled it quite admirably, although not as fast as you'd expect it from behemoths like blizzard.

No... in the case of demigod multiplayer, it was not a bug but a piracy problem... it is about a other game who was not working due to some missing DRM...

by the way, it's a wonder that matrix has a refund policy AT ALL, given that their digital downloads come without any kind of copy protection. they even encourage people to backup the files on CDs.

It is not that they have some choice, it is the law here... for all product buy by "distance", you have a 2 week test periode... maybe one of the reason why i have need to pay more for the game when compare to a US citizen... 

November 29, 2009 6:51:38 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Aroddo,
and i don't know why you are exaggerating the number of bug posts that much.

In fact all the problem was due to the included version of .NET 2.0 in the installer... it have mesh up with my 3.5 SP1 .net version ... have install again .net 3.5 SP1 and all seem good now... was able to finish two game these night !!!

http://ntronium.com/simplemachinesforum/index.php?topic=273.msg2102#msg2102

And yes, you was right... it was related to my material... .net 3.5 SP1 add some multicore/multiprocessor function to .net ... for this, it modify/add some file in the last version of .net 2.0 SP2 ... the installer of the game have install a usual 2.0 SP2 version... one of my error was a function who cannot be executed because the previous one was not finish... my computer was going too fast for the game... installing .net 3.5 SP1 again have resolve everything for now...

November 29, 2009 7:32:54 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

glad it turned out ok for you.

try a custom 1000x1000 map with the maximum number of ai players (104, i think) and standard settings.

I wonder how many turns you can play before the game finally slows down for you. my machine needs a bit for processing the 100 computer players on a 13.000 systems map. About 20 seconds in the first few turns and a memory requirement of nearly 1 gig.

November 29, 2009 11:54:12 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

This is all great but I have one question:

Does this strategy game have 'soul'? 

Usually space/scifi games feel very cold and bland, with very little flavour. Feeling very gamey instead of pulling you in as the actual leader.

But maaan does this look good.

November 29, 2009 12:24:14 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

uuuuhhhhhhh ........ i guess i'm the wrong one to ask ... i barely ever get "involved" in a game. The last science fiction themed games that really drew me in were the story mode of StarCraft and the All-Time-Favorite Star Control II.

Armada has about as much "soul" as MoO2 - which, in my books, means not much.

November 29, 2009 8:08:46 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Is a demo likely?

November 30, 2009 5:42:34 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Bearing in mind that I've only been able to play Armada 2526 rather sporadically the last few days since I got it, I'm already comfortable giving at least a tentative recommendation for it. Further playing til dawn playtesting will tell, but thus far I'm honestly quite pleased with my experience.

The game is fairly easy to learn (thanks in no small part because of the decent tutorial and the "pop-up" feature) yet hard to master, which for me is the perfect combo.  Colony & ship management is pretty straightforward, the different races actually feel like they've got a bit of personality, and diplomacy is -- believe it or not -- worth engaging in.  Best of all (IMO), the AI is probably among the best I've seen in a strategy game, at least on the strategic side; it's pretty good at knowing when to declare war, play nice, where/how to expand, it will know when it's losing a war and sue for peace accordingly, etc.

The battles are admittedly somewhat underwhelming, but I wouldn't say they're horrible.  Personally, I'd say my biggest gripe with combat so far is the 3:30 time limit; I really want to be able to mod that so I can have longer battles.

I'll try to post more about the game (good and bad) tomorrow, but for now, I've really got to get to bed here.  (So tired....) 

Quoting Ranbir,
Is a demo likely?

Probably not.  Matrix Games releases demos only seldomly, and they've specifically stated they don't plan a demo for Armada at this time.  (I think this is unfortunate myself, but then I don't run a game company. )  That could still change, of course; but for the time being, the answer to your question is "no". 

November 30, 2009 5:57:21 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Aroddo,
uuuuhhhhhhh ........ i guess i'm the wrong one to ask ... i barely ever get "involved" in a game. The last science fiction themed games that really drew me in were the story mode of StarCraft and the All-Time-Favorite Star Control II.

Armada has about as much "soul" as MoO2 - which, in my books, means not much.

Heresy and Blasphemy alert. One does not disrespect MOO II.

MOO II has lots of soul: The special techs, the commanders of fleets and planets, space monsters, antarans, designing your race, chosing techs at each level/area +++

November 30, 2009 7:42:44 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

this game is nowhere to be found. they say its out now?

December 1, 2009 2:14:54 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting inerz,
this game is nowhere to be found. they say its out now?

go to http://www.matrixgames.com/products/376/store/Armada.2526 and select your country... you can order the digital download, the digital download+physical game, or only the physical game...

From my own experience with Matrix, for the physical, delay can be around 1 week... nothing stop you to order only the digital download and make a CD of it... and so, to spare a few $$$

December 1, 2009 6:33:37 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Definitely a good game already, and will get even better when they catch out all initial problems and start to add more features and expansions. And most importantly - it has hotseat. GC2 has finally something to fear!  

Which reminds me to ask: Are you guys at Stardock planning to make some new stuff to GC2 sometime? New expansions or eventually GC3? When can we start to look forward to it?

December 1, 2009 12:21:37 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Shotman- No more expansions for GC2... Yep makes me sad too. And Stardock has Elemental coming out late next year. Then they have Society, RPG and GC3... In which order... I have no idea... They said GC3 will be out next decade and at the least few years away after Elemental... but they are building the new engine with Elemental.

Is Armada 2526 coming out on impulse? And does anyone else have a review for this game yet? Cause Im looking at it...

December 3, 2009 4:47:04 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I ordered Armada 2526 from the Gamestop website for $39.99. I chose the free shipping that said it will be 5 to 12 days. It arrived in 2 days; the time the second highest shipping price. Thus, I got the game in 2 days for $39.99 plus tax(a few dollars).

December 3, 2009 5:08:22 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I bought this game. It's an alright game, but it's really not worth $40. The learning curve is mostly about learning how to wrestle with the UI to get it to do what you want, but after you get that down there doesn't seem to be that much left to it.

My biggest complaint right now is that I hit the difficulty ceiling way too early. With most 4X games, how long I can play them is closely related to how long they can challenge me. I only got all the way through two games in this one. The whole thing seems to jump from the expansion phase to mop-up phase, and the mop-up phase is never much fun. I can't seem to spend enough time in that phase of the game where other empires are still a threat and my victory is not assured.

The game has some interesting ideas, and the core gameplay is decent, so maybe it'll get better through mods. The game's only worth ~$20 though, IMO.

December 4, 2009 12:21:43 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I have high hopes for this game reading many of the user reviews on various forums. It sounds like it is very mod friendly and the developer seems interested in fixing important issues. I personally don't really want to buy this from matrix (although I might if it doesn't show up here before Christmas) and gamestop is less than special (to put it nicely).

So, how about it Impulse, I understand you guys work hard, but it would sure be nice to hear something about this. Just a "we're working on it" or "it's on the way" would be lightyears better than what we have now.  

December 4, 2009 3:09:46 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Raven X,
I've been playing Armada 2526 for the last two nights off and on. I'm bouncing back and forth between Armada, King Arthur, and Dragon Age. I just don't have enough time to play all the games I want these days. It's ok so far but it definitely needs some tweaking to really shine. The camera control for the battles is atrocious and the UI needs a lot of functionality added to it. It also needs to be able to remember custom game settings which it currently doesn't.

What saddens me is I spent like 50 bucks on it and I'm already looking at having to mod it to make it fun and a little more balanced. Missile Carriers are way overbalanced. It's an alright little game though. It definitely has that old MoO vibe to it.

Do you have a full review coming up or not mr Raven? There is a karma in it for you

December 4, 2009 3:55:22 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Wirespeed91,
It sounds like it is very mod friendly... 

Not yet... by example, the text description of the races are in a binary file who cannot be moded but they think about make it "clear" in a update... now, you have no mod folder and you need to put your modified file in the main folder but they will introduce a mod folder in the next upgrade...

So, the game is not yet fully ready to be moded but since a lot of people seem to have a interest in moding, they are open to suggestion...

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000250   Page Render Time: