Fantasy Creatures

By on October 27, 2009 1:45:59 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Luckmann

Join Date 04/2006
+132

We absolutely positively need one of these.

Locked Post 30 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
October 27, 2009 7:17:45 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

lol that's just messed up.

It would be kind of cool though if we could use essence to mutate creatures we recruit in the game. Especially if they give us some control through the unit creator to be able to pick which animal parts to mix and match graphically to create our "Animal Golems" if that's what you'd like to call them. It could maybe be considered a animal variant on a Flesh Golem.

Also technically it would be a type of Chimera. Most of us know the Greek Chimera of legend but what most people don't realize is that technically a Chimera can be a mix of any number of different creatures. It doesn't always have to be a Lion/Goat/Snake.

October 27, 2009 7:35:44 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Now that is some bear cavalry!

October 27, 2009 7:42:12 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Eh...interesting creature.

October 27, 2009 8:14:54 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I like it, I can imagine the creation being interesting in the game... maybe you could use magic to merge two resources. Eg. bears and horses, iron and horses, marble and hawks, with some preset merges, otherwise I can see problems scaling and with the hinge regions... or just what happens.

For a non-visual change you could have merges simply giving cavalry a meele boost or defense boost (with a prefix, Bearataur)

October 27, 2009 8:20:03 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It would make fantastic creatures far more rare if you had to saccrifice a resource to be able to make them, and require magic and the technology to extract the resource in the first place. So I don't think adding them would have a downside. Just requiring two resources around to train them however could end up with hundreds of different chimeras... I'd like some penalty for having powerful and possibly magically resistant fantastic bearataur knights (because they should be scary)

October 27, 2009 10:43:48 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Or creating a mutated-creature design template could cost some essence, and training a Bearataur or what have you, would use up all your mana for the turn, or something. And would greatly deplete your supply of x creature or human, based upon accidental deaths and such (high mana cost at least) ... say for instance I wanted to fuse lizards or snakes with my soldiers (or regular citizens) in order to make lizard-people or snake-people.

To make 1 lizardperson, probably 10 humans would die, to to experimentation and accidental deaths. Meanwhile it would probably cost 10-20% of my mana (something decent but not too expensive, as its a medium sized humanoid), and maybe 5-10 essence for the creature template. No further essence cost would be used, and I could make as many lizzie-people as I wanted based on ... I suppose a nearby forest or swamp with plenty of high quality lizards, 10 people per one lizzie-person, and a good bit of mana. Eventually I could get about 50 lizardmen roaming around, at the cost of many people of course, and then train them as a unit, since they are so expensive, I would probably train them as the highest-form of elite/longest to train unit currently available, but yea.

Of course, the population cost would be too high to have a good number of these creatures moving about ... and say to make a bear-ataur it requires 5 horses and 5 bears, or something, or 6 horses and 2 bears, just whatever sort-a thing. Not really sure how we can determine what sort of animals we have access too, but if there are local populations of various wildlife (or if its a terrain based thing that can be opened by some sort of "creature editor" page, and while u cannot see them they are a part of the terrain value, or something) ... although number of people, and number of horses, will of course be present, so at the least we could mutate some centaurs, but having some lizardmen archers for higher dexterity, or a different type of lizardman heavy-infantry for increased natural defense and strength (and fatigue perhaps) .... in the creature editor, I think you should be able to add bonus stats to the unit, on top of what that unit would normally recieve.

Although I understand that having such things graphically represented would require more unit models, so I won't be sad if they don't get in ... although having some tribal lizardmen scattered here and there, in swamps or caves (n possibly deserts) to interact with.

October 27, 2009 4:15:14 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

What about monstrosities? ->

October 27, 2009 4:59:49 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

That is a BAD ASS picture Tormy, good find brother.

October 27, 2009 7:24:04 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Luckmann, I swear to god you need to be mauled by a bear or something to get you over your rampant ursaphilia!

October 28, 2009 6:55:19 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Tormy-,
What about monstrosities?

Druids need their pets after all...

October 28, 2009 1:51:13 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

What does that little girl thinks she is doing? wow.

October 31, 2009 11:31:47 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

She's about to pistol-whip that monstrosity, that's what.

November 1, 2009 6:47:17 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Eheh...the title of the image is: Hello monster! Author: Hyun Kyung Up [South Korea] He used 3ds Max 9 & Photoshop to create this epic picture.

November 1, 2009 12:08:53 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

That Bearataur would be quite nasty in battle... it's even wielding a weapon which looks like a sledge hammer with spikes thus the creature has higher intelligence than the average bear.  It's primary weakness is no armor... even some leather would help.

The image Tormy posted appears much more deadly.  A quick glance indicates at least 5 heads which usually corresponds with multiple attacks, 50feet tall or more, chains matching the rest of the creatures skin thus some type of construct most likely metal.  It's difficult to determine whether or not it's immobile. 

That's my review. 

November 2, 2009 1:26:32 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I am very excited about getting my hands on the fantastic creatures that have been so worked up.  (not just ogres, but things like dragons)

So what is the expected power scale between bearotaurs and other fantastic creatures?   Certainly stronger than regular bears,  but would they really be as strong as the people trained to ride no bears themselves?    I mean one reason bear cavalry are so insane, is you've got the strength of a bear... plus the kind of person who could actually train a bear to be his mount (he'd have to be some kind of super soldier)

November 2, 2009 1:44:40 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I think you should be able to take Dragon scales, or the Corpse of a defeated Dragon ... and magically mix parts of it with horses (or bears or Boars or Camels) ... and to create some sort of "wyvern" ... like a smallish flying mount with magical resistances and some sort of magic breath/mana. Would probably require sacrificing many horses for experimentation, perhaps the better the breed of horse the better the chance for survival ... but either way, being able to create lizardmen, wyverns, triceratops(rhinocerous + lizard/dragon), and other such scaly beasts if I have enough lives to throw away, and mana to cast ... it would perhaps be slow going, but you could get some really cool looking things (ah, fleshcrafting) probably essence cost to build a blue-print ... nothing you build could rival anything close to a dragon, but would still have better stats than a man or a horse or a rhino ... and better abilities too. (plus most likely magical restistances/immunities if mutated with dragon genetics)

November 2, 2009 4:37:05 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Tasunke,
I think you should be able to take Dragon scales, or the Corpse of a defeated Dragon ... and magically mix parts of it with horses (or bears or Boars or Camels) ... and to create some sort of "wyvern" ... like a smallish flying mount with magical resistances and some sort of magic breath/mana. Would probably require sacrificing many horses for experimentation, perhaps the better the breed of horse the better the chance for survival ... but either way, being able to create lizardmen, wyverns, triceratops(rhinocerous + lizard/dragon), and other such scaly beasts if I have enough lives to throw away, and mana to cast ... it would perhaps be slow going, but you could get some really cool looking things (ah, fleshcrafting) probably essence cost to build a blue-print ... nothing you build could rival anything close to a dragon, but would still have better stats than a man or a horse or a rhino ... and better abilities too. (plus most likely magical restistances/immunities if mutated with dragon genetics)

Eheh, sounds exciting. It reminds me of Dwarf Fortress & Dominions. [In DF you can skin the creatures and collect the bones to create items or artifacts....in Dominions you can cast mighty rituals to create/summon mighty beasts...]

This just gave me an idea: In Dominions there is a spell called Crossbreeding [IIRC]. Basically you are able to create mighty abominations from lesser creatures. It was a very fun spell.

November 2, 2009 4:37:57 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I would personally rather Stardock not spend the enormous amounts of dev time that would be necessary for allowing players to mutate creatures or make hybrid creatures. The graphical component alone would be prohibitive, and the algorithms used to determine what the outcome would be in terms of functionality would be just as bad...

November 2, 2009 6:14:04 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting pigeonpigeon,
I would personally rather Stardock not spend the enormous amounts of dev time that would be necessary for allowing players to mutate creatures or make hybrid creatures. The graphical component alone would be prohibitive, and the algorithms used to determine what the outcome would be in terms of functionality would be just as bad...

Not necessarily. It could be done quite easily with a Spore type interface.

November 2, 2009 9:24:42 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Raven X,

I think it's much better if they just give us tools (broad sense) to change/add attributes of units, so that we can make whatever Bearboar we want; and include any fancy Blender graphics too!

+1 For the OP .

November 2, 2009 9:28:39 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

DP...

November 2, 2009 11:21:07 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Bearataur!?!? Oh my god!

November 3, 2009 12:19:41 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Dude, that's just naive. How long did it take them to develop Spore? And ALL it is is a creature editor, basically! There is no gameplay in spore. It took so long to develop because creating a functional creature editor, along with the necessary procedural animations was a really daunting task. And making an analogous editor that produces models, textures and animations that fit in with Elemental's art style? Haha, good luck. In Spore they went as cartoony as possible because anything more increased the difficulty enormously. It is much easier to create cartoony animations that look believable. Elemental isn't aiming for realism, but spore-like creatures wandering around the world would look extremely out of place nonetheless.

"It can be done quite easily with a Spore type interface" is oxymoronic. 

November 3, 2009 9:19:26 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Well, I suppose if there was a bank of body parts for each pre-existing creature (as parts of the object of "body") ... then if nothing else you could re-arrange body parts of the two or three creatures involved in "fusion" and perhaps have an automatic blender to render the textures to look half-way decent. Then as far as stats are concerned, you have a certain (stat bank) related to the relative power of the creatures, and an HP bar using averaged? combined? HP of the 2 or 3 organizms, or perhaps size based.

Just something as simple as possible, perhaps even only a few pre-determined creatures with set stats. As long as no creature could use weapons it would help the Dev team ENORMOUSLY because I think creating two sets of weapons for Fallen and Human has been a huge task (or rather for armor to look good on both body-templates)

November 3, 2009 10:51:45 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Well, I suppose if there was a bank of body parts for each pre-existing creature (as parts of the object of "body") ... then if nothing else you could re-arrange body parts of the two or three creatures involved in "fusion" and perhaps have an automatic blender to render the textures to look half-way decent. Then as far as stats are concerned, you have a certain (stat bank) related to the relative power of the creatures, and an HP bar using averaged? combined? HP of the 2 or 3 organizms, or perhaps size based.

That could work decently for humanoids, but not so much for other creatures.

The interface between the different body parts would have to match up, and given that the models won't be all the same size (not as important, scaling isn't hard) or shape, that isn't so easy. On top of that, you have to make it look good otherwise it'd just detract from the game. Can you imagine a bear with horse legs? It'd look ridiculous, and that is an example of a player mod that I would never download. Or what about a creature with the front of a bear and the back of a horse - its ass would be pointing at the sky, and it would be totally incapable of moving (not to mention making the interface where the model of the bear meets the model of the horse mid-torso would be a pain to get right). A cross between a wyvern and an ent? And so on?

In addition to getting it to look right, it still has to move right. And that requires procedural animations which, as we already established, is a huge undertaking. Again for humanoids this isn't a problem, because most humanoids tend to move similarly and exchanging some limbs here and there wouldn't change much. But for anything else, no.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000672   Page Render Time: