…It is time to discuss….DEATH!!!! (or at least combat)

By on October 21, 2009 8:04:11 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1491

Starting next Monday, we begin work internally on the Elemental combat system.  It won’t see the light of day for months (tactical combat part anyway).  But this is the place to discuss how you would like it to work.

Right now, a unit has Attack, Defense, Hitpoints, and speed.  It’s very straight forward. When in battle, other factors come into play too (range of attack, height, and cover).

But obviously there are a lot of other factors that could be looked at.  Blunt weapons vs. Cutting weapons for instance.  My personal inclination is to stay away from damage types because they add a lot of complexity without really giving back a lot of fun (in my opinion).  I’m sure there are those who will disagree but we’ll have to agree to disagree there and perhaps damage types can be made something available to modders later.

I would like to see experience be used more than as simply a modifier to attack and defense and HP.  I don’t mean when you train your units (which gives them more HP) but I mean real combat experience causing them to simply be better at combat but we have not yet come up with a way to convey this well in the game.

I would also like to see Mobility be taken into effect somehow in combat.  The Mongols conquered much of the known world because they were strictly a mobile army that could easily outflank their infantry-heavy opponents. How to convey this to players is again, a challenge that would have to be dealt with.

What would you guys like to see?

Locked Post 208 Replies +1 Karma
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
goffries
October 23, 2009 11:35:02 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Tormy-,

Quoting Mandelik, reply 124
Of course, if we're talking multiplayer with a system requiring pause everytime someone wants to give orders or choose between the 15 spells his sovereign can cast, it could end either a click-fest without pauses or a nightmare of stop-go-stop-go-stop-go...

Yeah, it won't work in MP games. [Well it works, but it will be extremely annoying...]

Maybe pressing the pause button would only pause the game at specific times in MP or when both request a pause and continue at next continue time if one requests or at once if both request.

October 23, 2009 12:00:52 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Another idea is to add personalities to veteran units. They'll pick up a veteran corporal or a veteran sergeant - a named individual that grants bonuses to the unit.

I thought this idea sounds fun. In particular, I often feel that victorious units gather personality over time, and it would be nice if the game reinforced that. The personality wouldn't need to be super-powerful, but something to make the unit a little more distinctive.

I guess it's another way of viewing the medals system suggested by others earlier -- experience gives you bonuses specific to what you did.

October 23, 2009 12:29:47 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Tridus,

The whole point of this extended beta period is to try things out, get feedback, and refine them. I don't doubt that we'll start with something like the simplified system we have now. If the playerbase stays as overwhelmingly against that as it is right now? I highly doubt we'll end up there a year from now.

I highly doubt we'll end up with as complex a combat system as many, many people are describing in this thread, no matter which way opinion goes.

If beta testers actually try out a simple system and come ot like it, than pretty obviously we'll end up with a relatively simple system (Probably not as simple as what is shown in unit design at the moment, but still pretty simple).

If beta testers (like the ones in this thread) want a more complex system, than such a system would still have to be designed, tested, and balanced.  Plus, people in this thread will likely approach the game somewhat differently than other people, who may not enjoy learning a complex system as much.

Also, to repeat the point I made earlier, the combat system still has ot interact with the resource system, family tree/diplomacy system, magic, quests, etc., and when all these parts of the game are taken together, however complex the individual systems are, the entire game could easily get too messy to balance properly in a short time, and be extremely difficult for someone to learn to handle well.

October 23, 2009 12:30:17 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'll restate the importance of

Morale

Endurance

Flanking

there could be a general/leader specific rally call that increases nearby morale by 50%, with a slow recharge rate (will only go up to 150%, but that extra 50% should have worn off by the time a skill recharges, unless its some superhigh end rally call)

also, a larger army on ALL horseback will strike fear into an army of footmen, even if they have specials like seige equipment. In the Rome vs Atilla battle (attila the Hun, used only horses) at least the big one ... the only way Rome was able to fight to a draw was because the commander kept his army from going into full route at key points in the battle, and also he tried to defend against their flanking as much as possible. It was ultimately a roman "victory" because the Horde needed to keep pillaging and raiding in order to keep fighting. They had no supply lines, ect, so their strategy was to keep moving forward from victory to victory. Actually creating a tie was a serious indentation to the Hun war-strategy, and this particular campaign came to an end for the huns, and they more or less "went home." Of course, later the huns took more of the Roman empire (400s AD) and eventually other groups of barbarians, that had migrated west out of fear of the huns, sacked Rome herself and conquered the Italian peninsula.

These barbarians eventually turned into our modern Europeans, but it took alot of time to reclaim the lost technology. And when Genghis Khan arrived, he was able to cause alot of damage up until his death. Had he not gotten sick, its possible he would of conquered all of Europe. And the Mongols (khan) started all the way in Mongolia ... so they enjoyed a much more successful blitzkreig than the Panzer/Stuka divisions could of dreamed of. Incidentally, the Nation that captured Genghis Khan when he was a child (some asian province south/south west of mongolia) was wiped off the face of the earth once Genghis united all of mongolia.

October 23, 2009 2:11:54 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I think this is a nice start mentioned in Frogboys 1st post for a Combat system. Then after implementing this Basic System 100% working one can add different Damage Typs and Resistances to this Damage Types. Also Status Effects like Paralysis, DOT, Temporal and/or Permanant Damage to other Attributes beside HP would be nice addons to this system also. 

October 23, 2009 2:30:00 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting psychoak,
I'm hoping for even more complex combat.

No shooting targets with units that can't see them.  I'd prefer a volley fire method, complete with reduced accuracy, for archer blocks, won't mind not having individual LOS within the group.

Charges, facing, penalties for disengaging.  Think Warhammer.  If you were in a regiment, fighting another regiment, you couldn't just turn around and move to attack another regiment you liked better.  They'd slaughter you the second you turned around.  If any of you made it to your target, you'd still be killed from behind just as soon as they caught up.

More than just hit or miss from the combatants.  One of the advantages of doing an individualized attack system is that you can have wild swings in power while not turning the system into a shit pile of luck driven bs.  A critical strike that kills versus a glancing blow means the end of the stack in one, but simply the end of a squad member in the other.  In such a system, you can also have meaningful damage types.  Critical strikes that freeze, alight, stun, pierce armor.  If it's animated nicely, it will look utterly badass.  The gameplay possibilities are endless.

You can tie battle experience into a critical strike chance.  Your prowess determining how effective you are at hitting the weak point in the armor, striking directly to the head, etcetera.  Your veteran spearmen would become increasingly more dangerous to high defense units.  If stun takes out your turn, blunt weapons become increasingly dangerous against high value targets that both take and dish out a lot of destruction.

You can also tie battle experience into a morale system like TW has done.  When you hit zero, you route.  Plus one for presence of this or that unit, plus one for outnumbering the enemy, plus one for having protected flanks, minus one for getting creamed in reverse.  Under such a system, having a few extra points makes you an exceptionally valuable unit compared to the fresh recruits.  The advantages is largely useless during easy fights, but invaluable in a tight spot where not breaking wins the fight.  If units are tied down when engaged and take a significant penalty if they try to disengage, you have the makings of a real combat system.

Since I'm not an eternal optimist, I wont hold my breath.  It would be nice to have a 4X TBS with real combat though.  I'd have given my balls for a multiplayer campaign from Creative Assembly, but no such luck on the TW front.

I completely agree with you. Making tactical combat into, basically, a statistical combat simulation is the way to go. It solves so many problems, does not require an endless list of numbers for each unit, and results in an intuitive, and yet very deep and complex combat system. The morale system adds an entire extra dimension to combat and can be a lot of fun to play with; plus it allows players to utilize strategies that make sense intuitively without having to add in all sorts of specific artificial mechanics for it. It also allows another dimension of strategy - if you don't think you can win by brute force, maybe it'd be worth trying a strategy designed to break your opponent's morale before you're completely overrun. For example, if you manage to take out a powerful hero/creature/general/whatever early on in the battle, your own troops might gain morale (Maybe we can win after all!), while your opponents might lose heart (Maybe this won't be easy like we thought it would be...).

Not to mention that TW-like combat is visually stunning and makes for a very visceral experience. And I think it'd be even more amazing in Elemental with magic, and the occasional scary beast/monster/whatever. Months ago Brad told us that the plan was to have battles that feel like the Battle of the Five Armies in the Hobbit. Quite frankly, the only combat system I've seen in which I can imagine that being possible is in some variant of TW-style combat.

October 23, 2009 2:39:50 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting pigeonpigeon,

Quoting psychoak, reply 107I'm hoping for even more complex combat.

No shooting targets with units that can't see them.  I'd prefer a volley fire method, complete with reduced accuracy, for archer blocks, won't mind not having individual LOS within the group.

Charges, facing, penalties for disengaging.  Think Warhammer.  If you were in a regiment, fighting another regiment, you couldn't just turn around and move to attack another regiment you liked better.  They'd slaughter you the second you turned around.  If any of you made it to your target, you'd still be killed from behind just as soon as they caught up.

More than just hit or miss from the combatants.  One of the advantages of doing an individualized attack system is that you can have wild swings in power while not turning the system into a shit pile of luck driven bs.  A critical strike that kills versus a glancing blow means the end of the stack in one, but simply the end of a squad member in the other.  In such a system, you can also have meaningful damage types.  Critical strikes that freeze, alight, stun, pierce armor.  If it's animated nicely, it will look utterly badass.  The gameplay possibilities are endless.

You can tie battle experience into a critical strike chance.  Your prowess determining how effective you are at hitting the weak point in the armor, striking directly to the head, etcetera.  Your veteran spearmen would become increasingly more dangerous to high defense units.  If stun takes out your turn, blunt weapons become increasingly dangerous against high value targets that both take and dish out a lot of destruction.

You can also tie battle experience into a morale system like TW has done.  When you hit zero, you route.  Plus one for presence of this or that unit, plus one for outnumbering the enemy, plus one for having protected flanks, minus one for getting creamed in reverse.  Under such a system, having a few extra points makes you an exceptionally valuable unit compared to the fresh recruits.  The advantages is largely useless during easy fights, but invaluable in a tight spot where not breaking wins the fight.  If units are tied down when engaged and take a significant penalty if they try to disengage, you have the makings of a real combat system.

Since I'm not an eternal optimist, I wont hold my breath.  It would be nice to have a 4X TBS with real combat though.  I'd have given my balls for a multiplayer campaign from Creative Assembly, but no such luck on the TW front.
I completely agree with you. Making tactical combat into, basically, a statistical combat simulation is the way to go. It solves so many problems, does not require an endless list of numbers for each unit, and results in an intuitive, and yet very deep and complex combat system. The morale system adds an entire extra dimension to combat and can be a lot of fun to play with; plus it allows players to utilize strategies that make sense intuitively without having to add in all sorts of specific artificial mechanics for it. It also allows another dimension of strategy - if you don't think you can win by brute force, maybe it'd be worth trying a strategy designed to break your opponent's morale before you're completely overrun. For example, if you manage to take out a powerful hero/creature/general/whatever early on in the battle, your own troops might gain morale (Maybe we can win after all!), while your opponents might lose heart (Maybe this won't be easy like we thought it would be...).

Not to mention that TW-like combat is visually stunning and makes for a very visceral experience. And I think it'd be even more amazing in Elemental with magic, and the occasional scary beast/monster/whatever. Months ago Brad told us that the plan was to have battles that feel like the Battle of the Five Armies in the Hobbit. Quite frankly, the only combat system I've seen in which I can imagine that being possible is in some variant of TW-style combat.

I agree with this rather whole-heartedly

October 23, 2009 4:47:16 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting AIAndy,

Quoting Tormy-, reply 125
Quoting Mandelik, reply 124
Of course, if we're talking multiplayer with a system requiring pause everytime someone wants to give orders or choose between the 15 spells his sovereign can cast, it could end either a click-fest without pauses or a nightmare of stop-go-stop-go-stop-go...

Yeah, it won't work in MP games. [Well it works, but it will be extremely annoying...]
Maybe pressing the pause button would only pause the game at specific times in MP or when both request a pause and continue at next continue time if one requests or at once if both request.

I like AIAndy's suggestion that pressing the Pause button would only pause the game at specific time.  It can make pausible RT mechanism feels like it is more a Turn Based tactical combat (TC).  When gamer pause the TC, units keep doing their own business until ALL of them become free & become avaliable for gamer to issue commands; this will become similar to the beginning of the next turn as in traditional turn-based TC.   If gamer does not pause this turn, the game AI will issue new command on behalf the gamer this turn; the animation will then start as the next turn begins.

Finally, there must be an option to remove TC combat animation.  I hate watching the same fighting animation repeatly when my Dragon is toasting enemy the 100th times.  TW animation has great visual for sure, but I lost interest to the game quickly because I am forced to watch the animation.  Maybe the better option is "Only watch the same TC combat animation X times", so I can see the great work the artists have done but do not bore me with it.

To me, TC must be short in length. Under 12 turns, under 10 minutes at most, as there will be many TC battles per game turn.

October 23, 2009 6:01:23 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Climber,

as there will be many TC battles per game turn.

I really don't see this happening. There will be the occasional battle, and during a war you will have various bouts of one or two battles per turn, for as long as the war takes to complete. I would like for the battles to be interesting, and honestly I do not become bored with battle animations. In total war there was a fast-forward button. Not sure if that would be feasable in a complex and sophisticaed game like elemental, but there ya go. I suppose an auto-calc function in the middle of the battle for SP (say ... autocalc rest of the battle) might help you to "mop up" a particular battle, although could come with less than satisfactory results.

October 23, 2009 9:20:51 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Finally, there must be an option to remove TC combat animation.  I hate watching the same fighting animation repeatly when my Dragon is toasting enemy the 100th times.  TW animation has great visual for sure, but I lost interest to the game quickly because I am forced to watch the animation.  Maybe the better option is "Only watch the same TC combat animation X times", so I can see the great work the artists have done but do not bore me with it.

What would you prefer? Having the Dragon and troops just stand there, with troops randomly dying around it? The animations are tied to the actions of the troops, so when they are shown attacking, that is when they actually attack. I honestly don't see any resolution of this 'problem' besides auto-combat. If you "Only watch the same TC combat animation X times," what would you watch after that? If you mean after X times the combat ends or something, well that wouldn't make any sense...

October 23, 2009 10:04:20 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I dont see the animation and actual mechanical combat being at all separate ... if something hits on the battlefield/vision, it hits in the game, only thing I could see would be actual melee results, actual damage of the hit, and how many in the blast radius of the fireball are completely dead, and how many are only half-burnt or half-dead.

Either way ... battle-sim. Having no graphically representation for such a battle-system would look quite silly. Personally, special abilities and battle actions never get old, wether its a cavalry charge from total war, or a Special Ability/Attack from Disgaea.

October 23, 2009 11:26:47 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

This is the first completely disappointing update I've seen.  It moved Elemental from "Must-Buy" to "Wait-And-See".

For the record, I'd like to see a combat model similar in capability to that of Dominions.

October 24, 2009 2:23:54 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

"Having the Dragon and troops just stand there, with troops randomly dying around it?"  Similar to that, but of course NOT randomly dying around.  The game will probably show a really quick 0.5 sec animation for each confrontation, & shows what damage is done to the target. 

It'll look just like your typical turn based TC in AOWSM when you pause (& have enabled the Skip TC animation option).  If you don't, the game AI will make the move on behalf of you in EWOM.

The animation I've talked about is any animation that takes longer than 0.5 sec , like the marching animation from point A to B, 5 second special ability/spells animation etc.

October 24, 2009 2:43:13 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

"Having the Dragon and troops just stand there, with troops randomly dying around it?"  Similar to that, but of course NOT randomly dying around.  The game will probably show a really quick 0.5 sec animation for each confrontation, & shows what damage is done to the target. 

It'll look just like your typical turn based TC in AOWSM when you pause (& have enabled the Skip TC animation option).  If you don't, the game AI will make the move on behalf of you in EWOM.

The animation I've talked about is any animation that takes longer than 0.5 sec , like the marching animation from point A to B, 5 second special ability/spells animation etc.

Well if the game is run in real-time, then skipping animations would break combat. Abilities/attacks and actions in general that take a long time to display graphically would need to be proportionately powerful, otherwise the long delay wouldn't be worthwhile. Therefore, if your dragon's firebreath for example happens instantly instead of delayed as intended, things wouldn't work out so well. If nothing else is happening, then it wouldn't matter, but if other squads are engaged, moving, or doing anything besides standing there like rocks then it just wouldn't work.

If the game is turn-based, and each squad/unit acts on its own personal turn (and I'm hoping this will not be the case!) then I'd agree with you. Long animations in turn-based combat do tend to get old after a while, especially in those quickie battles that you just want to get over with.

The solution to this problem in real-time combat of any sort is fast-forward. Give us many combat speeds, always accessible, from pause to somewhere between 5-10x speed! Fast-forward is especially useful in the beginning of combat (even in big battles!): once your troops are in position, it can (in TW at least) still take 10-20 seconds, sometimes more, for your troops to actually get within range of the enemy. There is no good reason to make us actually wait out those 10-20 seconds when we could turn it into 2 seconds without changing anything but display speed. But yeah... fast-forward is a necessity if the combat is actually real-time.

October 24, 2009 4:26:32 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Pigeon, you are starting to get what I am talking about.  I am not against the TW-ish pausible RT combat, however I personally think it takes too much time because of all the marching & etc animation.  Fast forward has its cons but my focus is not talking about it.

Below I am talking about the same idea I've mentioned above, but try to describe it in a different way to make it clearer:

Think EWOM pausible Realtime TC is similar (but different) to typical AOWSM turnbased TC.  Instead of issue command unit by unit & see how this unit fight as in AOWSM, you issue your command to all your units in 1 go & press END TURN.  Then all your units march & act according to your command (to fight & cast spells etc).  However, in EWOM if you just press END TURN without issuing any command, the game AI will determine what your units should do on your behalf, and the animation will shows all your units marching toward your enemy & do the fight.   Ideally, I want an option to make this animation to be 0.5sec per fight, showing just the combat result, like unit being poisoned or 10HP damage etc.

This is an attempt to crater to people who wants traditional TC in EWOM, as Devs have already mentioned it will be a pausible RT somewhere else. 

October 24, 2009 5:21:10 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting SaberCherry,
This is the first completely disappointing update I've seen.  It moved Elemental from "Must-Buy" to "Wait-And-See".

For the record, I'd like to see a combat model similar in capability to that of Dominions.

Don't worry, I am pretty sure that the devs won't release the game with a dumbed down combat system. If I am wrong, and it will be way too "simple" for the hardcore strategy gamers....well...let's just say that modding must be very powerful in order to satisfy those customers.. IE. No magical or even physical [blunt,piercing,slashing] dmg types? Fine, but allow us to mod them in. You got the picture.

October 24, 2009 6:12:05 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

IMHO the most important part if you make tactical comabt is the feeling that your decisions really affect the outcome, that there are changing situations that you must react to.Your manoevres really must make a difference, flanking , attacking from rear, possibly ambushes, scouting for those with special units, advantages/disadvantages of terrain...I love empire total war land combat because it is first game for as long as i can remember that actually takes it into account (some of it) .Also i love morale factor in Empire total war , it shoudl also work in turn based (anyone remember UFO enemy unkown where all was going good , then suddnely 3 of your top officers got whacked by a grenade, the rest started runing panicking and you were like  "ahh bordello on fire" )

Its not combat exactly but related , the experience of units.I think in a game like Elemental the expericne of units should really matter a lot for their stats.Would be nice if it was even more then typical 3 levels maybe 5.

I dont like in this aspect empire total war, the experience earning of units, i dont know if it does much for units execpt being less propable to run,  doesnt reward much.

October 24, 2009 8:42:43 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I believe I share many of the concerned sentiments of other posters. There is nothing wrong with old school but we should be clear just how old school it should be. Simply having attack/defence/hp and one form of damage is even older than PC gaming. There should at least be-

Damage types:

Slashing- Swords etc

Piercing- Arrows, bolts, Spears etc

Blunt- Maces, clubs, etc

Even the original Age of Empires had a damage differences between melee and ranged. I hope Elemental won't give us a complex economic model and then give us combat more basic than even MoM.

October 24, 2009 9:21:39 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting leeboy26,
I believe I share many of the concerned sentiments of other posters. There is nothing wrong with old school but we should be clear just how old school it should be. Simply having attack/defence/hp and one form of damage is even older than PC gaming. There should at least be-

Damage types:

Slashing- Swords etc

Piercing- Arrows, bolts, Spears etc

Blunt- Maces, clubs, etc

Even the original Age of Empires had a damage differences between melee and ranged. I hope Elemental won't give us a complex economic model and then give us combat more basic than even MoM.

Those were really what Age of Empires had, though. There was no damage type for magical volcanoes, dragons, lightning, etc. Elemental is going to have that (in some form). With that in mind, I find that throwing physical types on top of it is just going to be confusing and make figuring out what armor actually does nearly impossible at a glance.

October 24, 2009 9:42:49 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

nah, just blunt and piercing ... and even then they don't have to be "different" damage types ... but a blunt weapon will be designed to attack Armor Defense, and a Piercing weapon (arrows, swords) will be designed to attack SKILL defense.

Cause like ... we should have Weapon Attk/ Armor Defense seperate from Skill Attk/ Skill Defense, and upon levelling up you can choose to raise either skill attk/ skill Def, or something completely different.

Also, morale and endurance should like, automatically increase upon level up, and an option should be available to focus EVEN MORE morale or endurance into your level up.

October 24, 2009 10:31:05 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

GODDAMNIT ARE YOU DEAF?

ADDING DAMAGE TYPES IS PROBABLY THE WORST GAMEMECHANIC YOU CAN ADD. 

I want a strategy game, not rock paper scissor thank you. 

October 24, 2009 10:43:44 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I didn't exactly state that I explicitly wanted different damage types. I merely wish for weapons to have their own special abilities, perhaps even as a bonus vs different types of enemy armor ... or simply bonuses based on what type of armor you choose to wear. For instance, wearing leather/light armor could greatly increase the parry bonus of a short-sword or rapier.

As for blunt vs pierce, I merely think Axes, Hammers, Maces should somwhat ignore armor defense, while swords, spears, and arrows should somewhat ignore skill defense. The amount of skill defense a sword, spear, or arrow would ignore would be based upon the attacker's attack skill, perhaps combined with the quality of the weapon (or at least the "speed" of the weapon)- like how aerodynamic the arrow is, or how wieldy (light) the sword is. AKA mithil over Iron, or shortsword over longsword. Although longsword has the advantage of greater damage ....

say longsword could be 2-10, while a heavy axe is 1-12, a short sword is 3-8, and a hammer is 3-6 (but ignores armor more-so), while a mace is 1-8 (also ignores armor mor-so)

Im just saying we need a little variety in our weapons other than how much they increase the attack stat. Also, I think heavy armors should give a slight penalty to defense skill, while light armors give a bonus to defense skill, so there is some-what of a choice between High Armor, low skill defense, or Low Armor, high skill defense. High Skill would be good fighting against people wielding large "smash" weapons like hammers/mace, while High Armor would be a good protection against arrows/swords.

Shields would also be good against arrows, so there are always hybrids (shields are probably BEST strat vs arrows, or at least should be ... as well as shield based formations)

October 24, 2009 10:53:50 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting lifekatana,
GODDAMNIT ARE YOU DEAF?

October 24, 2009 11:33:57 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting lifekatana,
GODDAMNIT ARE YOU DEAF?

Well, that was insightful.

October 24, 2009 11:42:13 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting lifekatana,
GODDAMNIT ARE YOU DEAF?

Perhaps you are unawhere of how an internet forum works; you can be deaf and still understand the argument without recourse to sign language. 'GODDAMNIT ARE YOU BLIND?' would be a far more logical rant.

Worse game mechanic you can add? Don't be ridiculous.

Most strategy games have a rock-paper-scissors element to a greater or lesser degree. Indeed; without it you would have a combat system that would simply reward spamming uber-units without need for counters like pikemen for cavalry, archers for pikemen etc.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000328   Page Render Time: