Centering on the screen

By on October 20, 2009 12:05:13 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

LordCobol

Join Date 08/2008
+12

GalCiv2 bugs me no end when it tells me about events somewhere.  First it centers the map on the event, then it puts the message in the middle of the screen so I can't see where the event occurred anyway.  So far EWoM seems similar.

How about putting the message on the left side of the screen, and centering the event on the map in the right side, so we can see what its talking about?

Locked Post 11 Replies +1 Karma
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
MT Silver
October 20, 2009 2:38:38 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I love this idea.  Simple, yet overlooked way too often!

October 20, 2009 9:56:50 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

agreed!

October 20, 2009 1:20:18 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Elemental has a real problem with being unintuitive on the UI right now.  I much prefer the Civ IV or even GC2 model to what Stardock does right now with Elemental.

October 20, 2009 2:19:17 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Amen to that!

October 20, 2009 2:28:39 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Hail! (ie. agreed)

October 20, 2009 4:31:21 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting ,

GalCiv2 bugs me no end when it tells me about events somewhere.  First it centers the map on the event, then it puts the message in the middle of the screen so I can't see where the event occurred anyway.  So far EWoM seems similar.

How about putting the message on the left side of the screen, and centering the event on the map in the right side, so we can see what its talking about?

Amen!

Or, alternatively, allow us to move the window around, while also putting the information in some kind of "turn summary tab" so we can see the events we missed by clicking on them too quickly.

This was always a source of frustration for me in GalCiv2, since so many of the events never made it into the 'event summary'

October 20, 2009 4:56:28 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Indeed great idea. Small things like that bug the crap out of me as well.

October 21, 2009 12:32:40 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Elemental has a real problem with being unintuitive on the UI right now. I much prefer the Civ IV or even GC2 model to what Stardock does right now with Elemental.

What sort of things do you think need improved? We can't fix them without specifics.

October 21, 2009 11:35:44 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

@kryo  --  Can't speak for what Arstal meant, but you could do worse than follow GalCiv 2 except...

(A) more readable fonts (and make lower-case NOT look like smaller upper-case)

( my suggestion in the original post.

(C) whatever I think of 10 seconds after I post this 

October 22, 2009 11:59:05 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Kryo -

Specifics for improving the interface:

If there is a pop-up notification, don't let it block relevent information behind it.  Possible solutions: 

• Have the screen camera center on the event, but have the pop-up notification appear on the left-hand side of the screen so we can see what's going on.
  • Allow pop-up notifactions to be draggable windows - allow us to move the windows out of the way to see
  • Allow pop-up notifications to be minimized or docked: For example:
    • Begining of turn:  A pop-up turn summary (GNN or whatever) is displayed.  User sees a list of 5 items in his/her turn report.
    • User Minimizes or docks the pop-up to take action regarding the first item on the list.
    • User can restore or undock the turn-summary after taking action to make sure nothing has been missed.

I'll see if I can't doctor up some images to convey what I'm thinking, but hopefully this gets the idea across, I can never seem to get my Jing images to finish uploading to their hosting site - maybe I need a paid subscription?

October 22, 2009 12:17:51 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Here's a mock-up, I wasn't able to get Jing to host the image, so I'm doing it the old-fashioned way:

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000203   Page Render Time: