Making the Elemental "E" cool in my links/bookmark bar in Firefox

By on October 12, 2009 1:27:47 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

RolandTGunner

Join Date 08/2008
+2

In Firefox I have about 50 web page icons (I have deleted the names and only left the icons) across the top of my screen for quick links.. Not sure if it's called the links bar or bookmark bar.. but I'm pretty sure if you know how to answer my question.. you will know what I'm talking about...

For the majority of web pages, they have cool Logo type icons.. but for some, the icon only show up as a blank boring white page icon... So I label each of those with a letter just in case I forget where I have all the pages...

For the Elemental Wiki that a user has setup... I get the Elemental "E" as the icon.. it is very cool.. and very well done...  Why doesn't that "E" show up for this page, and more importantly can I edit which icon shows up, so I can use it?

I'm sure there is a very easy fix to this...  and I probably should just google it... but I'll throw this out.. and see if anyone wants to help out...  If nothing else, I can say that the Elemental E is by far the coolest icon on my entire bar..  From Microsoft pages, to Yahoo.. Wall Street Journal... New York Times...none of them come close...  Well lp.org has a pretty cool logo as well.. 

Thanks for any help..

Roland

Locked Post 5 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
October 12, 2009 1:59:35 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

For the Elemental Wiki that a user has setup... I get the Elemental "E" as the icon.. it is very cool.. and very well done...  Why doesn't that "E" show up for this page
What page?

October 12, 2009 3:19:31 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

http://elementalbeta.wikidot.com/

October 12, 2009 4:51:07 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

No I meant... on which page does it not show up for you... anyway, the icon you are referring to is the so called favicon, which is defined in the head section of the html code. If no favicon is present for a site, the default blank page icon is shown in FireFox. However, FireFox is and always was really buggy in that area. It often mixes up the icons for bookmarks or won't display the icon at all, even though there would be one present.

Maybe there is an extension for FireFox where you can define those icons manually.

October 12, 2009 5:16:17 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Seeing as most the other SD sites have them and Elemental's doesn't I'd say it was just an oversight. Maybe the web guys will see this and rectify it, as it's simply slapping the favicon into the Sites root directory(at least it's that simple on .php based site).

October 12, 2009 7:06:43 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Oh.. sorry.. When I said this page... I was talking all of the elementalgame.com pages including this forum.  It was clear in my head....just not in the post...

http://forums.elementalgame.com/

I am using firefox 3.5.4....... if that is part of the problem..

Well you guys have spent more time than I deserve... I will go check out favicons... and see if I can define them manually...

Oncea again thanks for your help and time..

Roland

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000171   Page Render Time: