Elemental:WoM desktop wallpaper [Image Semi-Heavy]

Its all about the desktop.

By on October 1, 2009 2:44:51 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

landisaurus

Join Date 06/2008
+154

Alright, now that everybody has Stardock's fences to let viewers see the desktop wallpaper un-hindered, we need something sexy as a background for people to see.

(the text that should be here got moved to the 2nd post for the sake of viewers not being met with a wall of text)

To the Meat and Potatoes:

If it says "fullscreen" the resolution is 1600x1200, if it says "Widescreen" then it is 1920x1200.  Exceptions are noted and generally because its the original aspect ratio of something that should be full screen.   Some images are the same image, just one is full screen and one is wide screen.   Usually this would be the same image done twice, but I couldn't do it every time and ended up making a few full vs. wide not the same. 

With Windows 7 finally having a "FIT" option, I don't really see the need to create both full screen and wide screen versions of every one, since many of them would be either stretched,  letterboxed, or cropped to make the adjustment.  And windows 7 at least will do all these things for you (sorry people still running an OS that can't do this like XP and are still unhappy with the pixel ratio).    If you look at the 1st one, you can see I would have just added more black area for a "wide screen" version.

Barracks - Fullscreen

Full Screen

Full Screen - Clean

Beta Intro Screen - 1024x768

Native - 1024x768

Brooding Sovereign- Widescreen

"someday this will all be mine"

Widescreen

Widescreen - Clean

Brooding Sovereign and Dragon- Fullscreen

"Gorbash, it looks like we have trouble"

Fullscreen

Fullscreen - Clean

Clashing Forces - Widescreen

Widescreen

Widescreen - Clean

Clashing Forces - Fullscreen

Fullscreen

Fullscreen - Clean

Doomed Lands 1 - Widescreen

Widescreen

Widescreen - Clean

Paint on Cloth - Widescreen

Widescreen

Doomed Lands 2 - Widescreen

Widescreen

Widescreen - Clean

Town in the Darkness - Widescreen

Widescreen

Widescreen - Clean

Lands of Men - Widescreen

Widescreen

Widescreen - Clean

Lands of Men - Fullscreen

Fullscreen

Fullscreen - Clean

Lands of Fire - Widescreen

Widescreen

Widescreen - Clean

Lands of Fire - Fullscreen

Fullscreen

Fullscreen - Clean

Wastes - Widescreen

Widescreen

Widescreen - Clean

Swamp Lord - Fullscreen

Fullscreen

Fullscreen - Clean

Life is returning - Widescreen

Widescreen

Widescreen - Clean

Beta Splash: Beta 1 - Fullscreen

Fullscreen

Here we have one courtesy of Splitshadow!  

(if you like this one, give him karma, not me)

1600 x 900

Beta Splash: 1C - Fullscreen

Fullscreen

(more coming "soon" )

Beta Splash: 1D - Fullscreen

Fullscreen

If you find any broken or non-functional links, let me know.  (most likely, link that links to the wrong image.  Very easy to do when managing more than 10 of them by hand)

If you click the images rather than the links, you'll likely encounter the 1st link found below them.   

Remember to give a thumbs up if you like what you see.  Since I have now added wallpapers created by others, namely Splitshadow, please try to find them and give karma where karma is due.  I've included their name to be a link to their profile for convenience. 

Locked Post 20 Replies +17 Karma
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
AndonSage
Admiral100
Spartan
Martok
Teucrian
Ynglaur
Spartan
Xeno_88
Wintersong
MatBerryman2
and 7 more...
October 1, 2009 2:47:28 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Its the FAQ time!    I hog 1st post to do it.

Q:  Hey, I have this suggestion...  Would you implement it

A:  Well, obviously I need to actually know the question, but sure.   I'm very happy to take suggestions on how to improve this thread, or as to how I could otherwise improve my wallpaper selection.

Q:  There is a mistake and/or a broken link of some kind

A:  Oh, that isn't a question, but I'm glad you brought it to my attention.  Please, let me know if something's not working

Q:  I'm not happy with the resolutions you picked.   My screen is like 150 billion by 75 billion pixels, and 1920x1200 just doesn't cut it.  Why don't you have more resolutions available?  Especially since you should be at least accomidating for my 800x600 max laptop, since thats a standard resolution.

A:  I went with a standard height of 1200 as that seems to be the next standard.   After that point it seems to me that the majority spend the extra money on having the screen be physically bigger rather than having higher resolution.  Honestly, you could just scale them youself.  I provided clean as well so you can just do whatever yourself.   I don't have time to make 4-5 different sizes of each wallpaper.  I made what you see so far out of the kindness of my own heart (well, actually it was out of my greed for wallpapers, but it was only a few extra steps to allow others to profit.)

Q:  I created this wallpaper out of Elemental art...  would you post it here?

A:  APSOLUTELY!   and I'll make sure you get credit too.  If you made your own fan art wallpaper based on Elemental: War of Magic, but isn't actually official art (I imagine drawing those "sand crawler" dudes is pretty fun, for example) I'll post that too.   I've got some stuff of my own too, so perhaps we could create a fan-art section somewhere Blizzard style.

Q:  You missed this minor part of the art in the scrolling main menu.  Can you make another wallpaper that includes it?

A:  I wanted to include as much of any art pieces I recieved, but it came down to just being too repeditive.  I had like 8 different screens from the main menu, and they really arn't different enough to bother including them all.   Sure, I could include what I assume is a feather?  Or a mistake in one of the art pieces... as well as a few other shots of the scrolling begining... but trust me, it would have been too bland to have all of them, especially because the main menu has that filter to give the corners that "dusty" or "cob web" feel ends up making them all -feel- the same.  Great for a main menu designed to set the mood, bad for creating many wallpapers that should feel not all the same.   If there is demand for it, I might create one that is a better shot of the torso without the light in the background when its still all grim and ruiny... but I didn't feel it was not the same enough...   

Q:  You just scaled this lower quality image to fit a screen... 

A:  >.<  Yes, I know...   In some cases I had no choice (like the background to the main menu) as the best quality original I could get my hands on is still under standard resolution.  But I will try to appropriately update once I have higher quality images available.

Q:  Can you fix something artistically in this wall paper?  I feel contrast in logo placement against the blah blah rough edges bleh bleh, and art theory says nyr nyr my art teacher said gibberish gibberish

A:  I fear I'm aware of contrast issues with the logos and the places I choose to place them.  But I am too lazy to fix it.  I'm likely going to only be using the 'clean' versions of most of them anyway, and if my logo placement is a problem, you should too.

Q:  If you hate having the logos there so much, why did you include them in all the pictures anyway?   Wouldn't have been faster just to create the clean versions and let other people who DID like them add the logos?

A:  Man, thats a good question.  I kept asking myself that the entire time I did it.  If I posted like 10 wallpapers with only logos featured in the wallpapers that... well, ARE the logo (the beta splash screen, for example) I somehow feel like I'm stealing or not giving credit where it is due.   Like it isn't my work, and there has to be some sort of corperate reason that the logos are so often included.  Copyright implications just being one of them.    Its also like advertising.   If I advertise the logos on the wallpapers, then when game wallpaper mongers create a huge collection containing them, batch it in a torrent, and torrent it to their peers....  I have just contributed to marketing of the game.   The people feeding off the newest "100 video game wallpapers" torrent or whatever might become excited and go buy the game now that they know where the wallpaper originated. I also talk a bit on this subject above, er, below.  So... yeah... thats why I did it.   (Also, if it looks like I tried really hard to make them good, Stardock might give us more sexy images to make the wallpaper.   They gave us a bunch of medalions for avatars, perhaps they will do the same for wallpapers?)

Q: in the words of Malcolm Reynolds, "SHUT UP!"

A: I do tend to ramble, but I moved some of the text to a post a little further down!   so... it isn't as.. texty...  I think Jane is a better quote source from firefly for "shut up"

Q:  Arn't you supposed to be working on something more productive than computer wallpaper?   You know, like your job, or cleaning your room, or that IGF submittion you mentioned?   I hope a forum of people you don't know, or the karma they might give, isn't more important to you than your real life.

A:  Oh crap!  I've been found out.    In the words, and actions, of Baikinman "SCRAM!"

Q:  Who the heck is Baikinman?

A:  Its from a japanese story I was given as a kid by my aunt who lived in Japan at the time.  The story was I think supposed to teach japanese kids how to read english, but it was convinient for me who could just read it normally.  Anyway, I was a fan of it just because its one of the 1st stories I read back in kindergarden, and I was given toys of them.  The villian Baikinman and his side-kick Dokkinchan (I was told to call them "germ man" and "cherry head" as a child, rather than butcher their names which I know I did and must have been painful for my cousin and aunt that gave me the gifts) always shouted "SCRAM!" when they fled the sceen.  Perhaps forums arn't the place for inside jokes...

Q:  Why are you still typing this?  I'm sure this isn't actually a frequently asked question. 

A:  Its late, I'm going insane!  besides, its fun to try to think of what people might ask me.   Its one reason I put the "FAQ" as the 1st post rather than in the actual OP...  so it doesn't feel like I've got an UGLY WALL OF TEXT  (that's even worse than an UGLY CLOTH MAP!)

October 1, 2009 2:47:47 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

(Pretend this is at the top.  I moved it down here for convenience to those who don't actually care what I have to say.    its technically supposed to go before the FAQ, as that is the time I wrote it, sorry if I now seem redundant by repeating something the FAQ has with more clarity)

I was originally doing editing on these... trying to make them look sexy, or get the best possible screenshot and edit them together to get a big long "scene" that could stretch for several screens.   but I've grown tired of trying that (and I have limited time right now.   IGF submission deadline only month away and there are whips to be cracked if there is advantage to be taken)

So I'm just posting the basic wallpapers I've created.    You'll notice I have both normal and clean versions of some of them.  This is because I believe that game logos should not be forced upon sexy game-based wallpaper.   You shouldn't have to have it SMEARED across my screen that my desktop image of an awesome titan looking thing is from Demigod, or those space-suit dudes with explosion is from starcraft.    I feel more often than not, a logo detracts from the beauty of the image.

at the same the, there must be people who actually like that stuff.   Because today I was in a doctor's office with some stock art hanging on the walls, and they were clearly labeled to be Van Gogh's work (as if the image of "Starry Night" isn't universally recognizable enough that it needs gross white on blue text at the bottom of it).   So I've gone through the effort to add logos to some of them (mostly because Frogboy gave us a bunch of Elemental logos for "public use").   Besides, you also put up your favorite game art to subtly let others who enter your room "hey, I'm a fan of this... you should offer to play this game with me, hint hint"  right?

October 1, 2009 5:50:37 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Nice job!

October 1, 2009 9:30:44 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

As usual...you da man! Thanks Landi!

October 1, 2009 2:02:49 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Me has nu wallpaper.

October 1, 2009 4:08:07 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Hey thanks, I've been wanting to find a new wallpaper Though it took me about 20 minutes to make the slightest change to the one I used and then resize it

October 1, 2009 8:17:12 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

change?   resize?     what resolution are you using?

October 1, 2009 9:36:11 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

1280x1024. I just tossed it into Faststone and that basically cropped the edges and gave me what I was looking for The 20 minutes was me swapping the logo (didn't check the media link on the site till about half way through) so my RSS feeds would fit on my desktop Thanks again.

October 13, 2009 10:22:43 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Great job! Keep up the good work!

Karma given

November 22, 2009 3:31:05 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Sorry guys, I've got plans to create some more from  the other elemental art lying around.  But it hasn't happened yet, and likely won't for the next month.   Always feel free to create some of your own and post it here though.

November 22, 2009 6:38:47 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Solid stuff! Karma

You are now ahead of me my friend! Well deserved in deed!

November 22, 2009 3:41:49 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'd love to see "Paint on Cloth" and "Life is Returning" in full screen versions.

Thanks though, I already picked one as my new wallpaper.

November 23, 2009 3:09:20 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

My favorite is the Beta Splash. Nice, simple, effective.

Kinda reminds me of the Ocarina of Time opening for some reason.

November 24, 2009 1:18:47 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'd love to see "Paint on Cloth" and "Life is Returning" in full screen versions.

I'll see what I can do.  

The trouble with those two, (especially the "paint on cloth" ) is I don't have access to a high resolution original, so I'm scaling up as it is.  And since the image is like 3 times as wide as it is tall, I feel like I'm butchering the image less by doing it that way.   I'll do another sweep on the net before I put up a fullscreen version though, just in case that image has reappeared somewhere in a higher resolution form.

February 18, 2010 3:57:56 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Man, sorry I've been so busy of late.

Here we have one courtesy of Splitshadow!   

1600 x 900

Remember to give karma where credit is due!   last I saw him, he was hanging out in the dev journals with an avatar holding a hammer.    Go give that guy a pat on the back!

I'll update the main post.  I've made the pictures link to the images.  3 new wallpapers too. Includes the above, as well newer splash screens.  (I swore I put up the beta C splash screen ions ago.)

If anybody happens to have not installed beta C or D yet, and can give me the Beta 1B splash screen, I'd be thankful for it.  Want a complete collection, ya' know

February 18, 2010 10:19:23 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Excellent job rounding these up Landi. This should be stickied somewhere.

February 18, 2010 2:12:08 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

All these images are of very poor quality and cluttered with letters and lines, here is how a true wallpaper looks like-

I never have wallpapers that have words on it, it needs to be a pure high quality image.

February 18, 2010 7:38:54 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Well done!

February 18, 2010 8:41:16 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I modeled the water elemental symbol in Blender rendered a closeup shot and have made it my wallpaper for the last week or so. I like my desktop background sort of simple (easier on my eyes). 

February 19, 2010 3:09:56 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

All these images are of very poor quality and cluttered with letters and lines

Igor, I give the option of a 'clean' version of pretty much all the wall paper specifically so you choose not to include the letters.    I fear I only have so much to work with.

Also, "all of these images" is a bit of an unfair sweeping generalism.  not only does it fail to take note that I provided "clean" versions of all the art.   But I also went out of my way to state some of them are not high quality, and I strive to keep my eyes peel for a higher resolution version of the source art.  Whats more, some of it isn't low quality at all like the "Lands of Fire" and "brooding sovereign" which I was able to create without any upscaling and are 100% artwork. So rather insult the work, why don't you help increase the overall quality?   (like provide 1600x1200 Elemental art, rather than some other fantasy wallpaper)

@admiral:   great!   I'll throw it up with the rest soon.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000344   Page Render Time: