ELEMENTAL SCHEDULE: STATUS

By on September 16, 2009 2:31:18 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1089

Greetings!

Below is the status of where we are on the development of Elemental.

BETA 1: Game Mechanic Exploration (Fall 2009)

1. Initial Build: Basic Compatibility
  2. Beta 1A: Initial Gameplay Skeleton
  3. Beta 1B: Initial Economic system Implemented
  4. Beta 1C: Initial AI system Implemented
  5. Beta 1D: Initial Diplomacy system Implemented
  6. Beta 1E: Initial Dynasty system implemented
  7. Beta 1F: Initial Magic system implemented
  8. Beta 1G: Initial Quest system implemented
  9. Beta 1Z: Finalizing Stability
BETA 2: Game Play Beta (Spring 2010)
  1. Initial:    Caravans enabled, 3D Engine enabled, Multiplayer enabled, shops enabled, sieges enabled, visual battles enabled.
  2. Beta 2A: Beta Fixes. Gameplay updates. Naval transports enabled. Naval warfare enabled.  MP: Wars of Magic.

BETA 3: War & Peace Beta. (Summer 2010)

1. Initial:    Finalized Diplomacy enabled. .Master Quest enabled. All Tech Trees enabled. Empires enabled.
  2. Beta 3A: Combat Magic enabled. The Hiergamenon enabled.  Tactical Battles options enabled. Morale and Tactical Battle AI enabled. Spell of Making enabled.
  3. Beta 3B. Tactical Combat enabled.

BETA 4: Beyond Elemental Beta (Ongoing)

1. Map Editor, Item Editor, Tile Editor, Effect Editor.
  2. Brad's Guide to Elemental Modding. Elemental Cloud Modding.
  3. The Hiergamenon in-game.

Release: Elemental publicly available (August 24th)

1. Single Player: Beta Tester Content (spells, quests, characters released based on player feedback).
  2. Single Player: Modding Tools: Race Construction Set.
  3. Single Player: Quest Pack (a thank you for buyers).
  4. Single Player: Monster Pack (a thank you for buyers).
  5. Single Player: Notable Locations enabled.
  6. Multiplayer: Custom Games.

Version 1.1: First major free update (30 days after release)

1. Usual performance, bug fixes, and other optimizations.
  2. More optimizations for better Netbook support.
  3. Single Player: New Content and Features based on player requests
  4. Single Player: AI Wars

Version 1.2 (Second free major update (60 days after release)

1. Usual performance, bug fixes, and other optimizations.
  2. New Features based on player feedback.
  3. Brad's first serious mod example (Mini RPG).
  4. Art Package for Modders to use (content for use by modders).
  5. Multiplayer: Arena Mode

Copy Protection:

• Retail Edition will have no copy protection on it whatsoever.
  • Digital version and updates will require Impulse to Download updates and install (but otherwise can be removed if the user chooses).
  • Users who do not have good internet access at home can use http://anywhere.impulsedriven.com to download Elemental and bring it home to install on their machines.
  • Multiplayer will require a valid customer ID to logon.

Notes:

All is subject to change based on player feedback and our own determination on where the game is at. 

Pinned Post 172 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
September 16, 2009 2:40:24 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I take it the longer BETA was picked.  So late summer 2010 release?

September 16, 2009 2:40:56 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Delete.

September 16, 2009 2:50:56 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

So all of Beta 1 consists of an initial magic system?  Without magic spells (which are implemented in Beta 3)?

September 16, 2009 2:55:05 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

So all of Beta 1 consists of an initial magic system?  Without magic spells (which are implemented in Beta 3)?

I think there is more to it.

1.  Spells will have lots of flashy 3D particle effects that may not be available in the 1st 3D build.  So while we may have spells by the end of Beta 1, they are likely removed again in Beta 3.  They said one benifit of the cloth-map only is they can play with things without having to make expensive graphics, this is especially true for spell animations.  

2.  Custom spells, Beta 6 has some complex custom stuff, but I think its safe to assume that some custom things like spells, magic, and maps will be implemented prior to that.  they already have people making custom spells (see original countdown to beta release where they had the artists make some spells) so chances are that may be one of the 1st things we'll be testing for custom functionality.   (right after custom tiles, which I suspect will be in the 1st 3D build since it seemed to work just fine at PAX) 

September 16, 2009 3:14:59 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Cool Im ready to test!    

Windows 7 dont fail me now!  

September 16, 2009 3:37:16 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting landisaurus,

1.  Spells will have lots of flashy 3D particle effects that may not be available in the 1st 3D build.  So while we may have spells by the end of Beta 1, they are likely removed again in Beta 3.  They said one benifit of the cloth-map only is they can play with things without having to make expensive graphics, this is especially true for spell animations. 

"Introduction to Magical Spells" sounds more like a tutorial than the implementation of fancy graphics.

Quoting Hawawaa,

Well seeing as how windows 7 will be released before Elemental, they better make sure it'll run on that os as well.

September 16, 2009 3:38:38 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting landisaurus,

I think there is more to it.

2.  Custom spells, Beta 6 has some complex custom stuff, but I think its safe to assume that some custom things like spells, magic, and maps will be implemented prior to that.  they already have people making custom spells (see original countdown to beta release where they had the artists make some spells) so chances are that may be one of the 1st things we'll be testing for custom functionality.   (right after custom tiles, which I suspect will be in the 1st 3D build since it seemed to work just fine at PAX) 

Ah, fair enough.  Thanks for clarifying.  So this system they set up with 1A, 1B, 1C ect... those are all part of Beta 1 which is initially available, or are these features going to be gradually implemented as Beta 1 progresses?  And since they have come up with a beta schedule that is much more comprehensive than the original one, I am curious as to the anticipated timeline (granted a certain amount depends on how many changes the beta causes).

September 16, 2009 4:06:01 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It's one thing to be able to research magic spells and such and another thing to actually start getting a bunchof powerful spells.

September 16, 2009 4:25:46 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Ah well, i thought we were going to complete the testing of gameplay elements before adding fancy graphics. But the schedule does seem to indicate otherwise.

September 16, 2009 4:25:47 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Ah, so the world destroying spells (and I would assume the tactical battle spells) are the ones not implemented then.

September 16, 2009 4:59:14 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I think this kind of open information is just great. In other beta's there's almost a lack of respect for the tester's whereas this makes you feel more involved and integeral to the process.

Jorune

September 16, 2009 4:59:15 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Wieke,

Quoting Hawawaa,
reply 5

Well seeing as how windows 7 will be released before Elemental, they better make sure it'll run on that os as well.

What are you talking about? Win 7 runs everything.

September 16, 2009 5:00:15 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Delete

September 16, 2009 7:17:38 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The whole Beta process looks like it is going to be alot of fun, but the graphics and gameplay at first are not.  I look forward to helping as much as my job and family alllow.

I always dreamed of having a job as a game tester.  This will certainly show us alot about game play as a game is being developed and polished.

Sir Devo

September 16, 2009 7:46:26 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The anticipation is killing me!

September 16, 2009 10:33:46 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thanks for the outline and I really like the staggered addition of gameplay elements.  Should make it much easier to focus on specific areas of the game.  Have really enjoyed beta testing previous Stardock games, and can't wait to get started again!

September 16, 2009 10:38:54 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I have never tested a Stardock game before, and I am nevertheless looking forward to not having any fun at all. It looks like this will be a really interesting process!

I'll echo others comments and say that the schedule is very encouraging as far as the amount of involvement we're likely to have.

September 16, 2009 11:25:22 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

So to hit August 2010 release you are planning on roughly 1 release every two weeks (actually faster than that  to allow for time between gold master and manufacturing/distro...

or do you suspect that some stages may take only a week and others might take 3 or 4 weeks?

At any rate VERY cool to publish this schedule.

September 17, 2009 3:41:32 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

GIEF BETAZ NOW PLX!

September 17, 2009 11:27:29 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

jing downloaded (and understood how to use it )

September 17, 2009 3:00:33 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

From what I remember hearing at PAX they were shooting for February 2010 for release which would be much nicer than August haven't looked around though to see if they've changed that.

September 17, 2009 5:08:45 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

We're not planning on a February release. It was decided we would "indulge" and extend out the beta process piece by piece.

September 17, 2009 5:39:24 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Don't deny it. You are delaying it to be able to spend more time developing the AI. We know how much you love that part!!!

September 17, 2009 5:45:28 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It's up.

September 17, 2009 6:34:23 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The beta is up?

I dont see it yet.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001703   Page Render Time: