BoogieBac's IGN interview on Elemental art!

By on August 27, 2009 10:20:42 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums External Link

Annatar11

Join Date 11/2006
+527

Decided to sneak this one in, did you?

Hit the external link for the article. Some good screenshots and concept art!

Locked Post 23 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 27, 2009 10:32:02 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Good find Annatar!!!!

August 27, 2009 11:31:04 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Nice find I love that dragon. I might just have to find a way to make that my new avatar.

August 27, 2009 11:43:09 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Awesome! that was a great article and pix!

August 28, 2009 12:41:38 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Nice, why wasn't this posted by a Stardockian? They're holding out on us

This guy is cool, I hope you can control them as the Fallen

We don't need any on the forums though, thanks

August 28, 2009 12:51:04 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Thrawn2787,

For being a troll...  I find it simply amazing that this troll not only has all his teeth, but they are perfectly aligned!!  Even the color of his teeth are quite nice being an off-white with slight yellow. 

The trolls in Elemental must have some type of awesome dental plan.  

August 28, 2009 12:59:01 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting NTJedi,

Quoting Thrawn2787,
reply 4

For being a troll...  I find it simply amazing that this troll not only has all his teeth, but they are perfectly aligned!!  Even the color of his teeth are quite nice being an off-white with slight yellow. 

The trolls in Elemental must have some type of awesome dental plan.  

Nah, they just tried to research Improved Clubs and the RNG gave them toothbrushes.

August 28, 2009 1:45:54 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

When I first saw Elemental's art style, I have to say that I wasn't sure quite what to think about it, and I was worried it would get a bit too stylized for my taste . . . but as things progress everything is just looking better and better.  I think the Stardock folks are doing a bang-up job of creating a unique artistic style for Elemental that is going to really fit the game well.

August 28, 2009 2:24:26 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Nah, they just tried to research Improved Clubs and the RNG gave them toothbrushes.

LOL I find this statement to be rather appropriate considering the discussion centers around trolls...

August 28, 2009 4:50:42 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

"Once a design gets back to Brad he's pretty easy to please, normally only asking for more muscles or horns."

August 28, 2009 7:03:27 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thought this was coming out post-PAX. Hope it's a good read...I always worry about being too technical/dry in these things.

http://media.pc.ign.com/media/142/14295360/img_7090357.html 

/\  Those teeth are nice and buttery, but perhaps he should lack some.

August 28, 2009 7:37:34 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

He will after meeting my channeler! Muahahahaha

August 28, 2009 7:44:11 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thought this was coming out post-PAX. Hope it's a good read...I always worry about being too technical/dry in these things.

It was a good read Gave some good insight into your process!

August 28, 2009 7:46:08 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I certainly hope that "magic is finite" refers to essence and not mana.... having a completely finite mana pool with which to cast spess would be a royal pain.....

August 28, 2009 9:45:10 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting WIllythemailboy,

Nah, they just tried to research Improved Clubs and the RNG gave them toothbrushes.

LOL

August 28, 2009 9:49:42 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

From the interview:

Salvation or Ruin
This is a piece that nicely illustrates a major component of the game - environmental territorial control. As your nation expands and lands once barren are replenished with magic, you will see a dramatic shift in the feel of the terrain.

Kingdoms of Men will see their countryside turn lush and green. Animals return to lands healed and the surrounding ocean reflects the blue sky above.

Play as a Fallen Empire, however, and things just get nasty. The ground turns to ash, the forests lose all color, and the animals of the land twist into nightmarish creatures of death and disease.

I'm guessing most people will play as the Fallen.

You're likely wrong on that. In games where this option exists, the "good" side usually gets more popular. More people like nice terrain and things then like wastelands.

August 28, 2009 10:26:37 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

But the Fallen have Trolls!

August 28, 2009 10:29:57 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

That was an excellent article, Scott!  Thanks for sharing.  Great pictures, concepts, and info.  You're definitely headed in the right direction.

August 28, 2009 11:20:47 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting BoogieBac,

/\  Those teeth are nice and buttery, but perhaps he should lack some.

The white hair has me believe this is an older troll so a few teeth missing, perhaps a few black spots from holes and the alignment of teeth more jagged would provide a more realistic fantasy appearance. 

I know the majority of people across the world need braces at some point to keep their teeth aligned.

August 28, 2009 3:43:40 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

But the Fallen have Trolls!
The fallen own Psychoravin? That explains everything!

As for the pic at the top, I must say that I am truly disappointed in the corrupted dark world look: It just looks volcanic. Where are the carnivorous trees? Where are the emaciated predatory dinos? I was envisioning something more along the lines of Dark Aether, for those Prime 2 fans out there.

August 28, 2009 7:13:25 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I knew that Elemental would be compared to a lot of games but... Viva Pinata?

Quoting Scoutdog,

As for the pic at the top, I must say that I am truly disappointed in the corrupted dark world look: It just looks volcanic.

Well this is just a concept art so, maybe corrupted land will have different shapes. I agree that I would be a disappointed if it's just generic Inferno-like land. Reminds me of Bethesda being all secretive about the Oblivion pocket universes which ended up being just good ol'hell with a tower in the middle.

August 28, 2009 8:42:51 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Those teeth are nice and buttery, but perhaps he should lack some.

I don't think so.  Missing teeth suggests weakness or poor health.  This guy doesn't look like he loses fights.  

Besides, perhaps he can regrow them like a shark

August 28, 2009 9:43:43 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Actually, it sort of looks like his teeth are two single contiguous objects (one for each jaw)...... if so, "missing teeth" would be pretty debilitating......

August 29, 2009 1:50:09 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting landisaurus,

BoogieBac writes: Those teeth are nice and buttery, but perhaps he should lack some.

I don't think so.  Missing teeth suggests weakness or poor health.  This guy doesn't look like he loses fights.  

Besides, perhaps he can regrow them like a shark

The missing teeth are not from the result of losing fights.  And last I checked trolls are not known for their healthy dental habits.

If the regenerative qualities of trolls are applied to the teeth then at least something different should be done so they look less like healthy human teeth and more beastly...  like something which has been eating wolves and other animals and falling asleep once a week with a dead leg in its mouth.  Even if the teeth are jagged with even a couple extra teeth pointing different directions the image would be more frighteningly beastly.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000406   Page Render Time: