Elemental Story update

By on August 6, 2009 8:29:06 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1484

Today I spent a lot of time working on the story elements and timeline for Elemental to make sure it goes along with the book. There, I said it. There’s going to be a book that comes out at roughly the same time as the game. 

There’s ten thousand years of history to work through, quite a big difference from what we’ve done in the past where we had just enough story manifested for the game (like in Galactic Civilizations) to proceed.

Having the game and the book being developed at the same time is proving to be marvelous as it allows the game to have a lot more depth even though it’s “only” a strategy game. The scriptable engine allows each so-called sandbox game to have a truly unique life of its own because there’s just such a massive amount of lore to tap into.

Of course, since I worked on that, I wasn’t able to do my walk thru of the alpha. I plan to get on that tomorrow.

Locked Post 54 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 6, 2009 8:37:58 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

You know I'm going to have to ask this: Is Elemental part of  the same timeline as GC(2)? I've recieved conflicting hints and information about it...... solid facts, please!

August 6, 2009 8:46:17 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Can we buy the book, or is it coming with the game (ala... pdf?)

August 6, 2009 8:47:25 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Now that is quite interesting.  A fully fleshed out story for a stratagy game, kinda reminds me of the golden age of video games.  Can't wait to see the story and the game. 

August 6, 2009 8:49:14 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Are you writing the book?

August 6, 2009 8:52:23 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Neat, can't wait to see the Book as well now. Rock on you guys and dolls!

August 6, 2009 8:52:50 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

How will we get a copy. Will all pre-orders get a copy, or will we be directed to Amazon instead?

August 6, 2009 9:05:10 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

"The scriptable engine allows each so-called sandbox game to have a truly unique life of its own because there’s just such a massive amount of lore to tap into."

sounds like my social life is a year away from crashing and burning.

August 6, 2009 9:10:43 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

[cheapshot]What social life?![/cheapshot]

August 6, 2009 9:20:05 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Mmmm, Elemental book...

*drools*

August 6, 2009 9:47:02 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Although I'm certainly not interested in this book (yet), I can appreciate how significantly good lore will enhance the game. I'm glad you think it's important.

August 6, 2009 9:49:19 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Did I mention that we love you?

August 6, 2009 10:49:08 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

10,000 years of history is short in the grand scheme of things but still I'm interested in how the book affects the game.

August 6, 2009 10:55:01 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Somehow, I gathered that the book development was going to be for Elemental, so this wasn't too surprising.  Great concept, though.  I'm sure the book ideas have really translated well into the game as you've said, and since Brad is doing the AI, that's even more possibilities for AI personality showing through.  Coolness.

The Alpha walk-through will be great.  I don't know how all of this is juggled (book writing, game development, running a business, working on other projects, etc.), but it's amazing.

I'm really, really pumped for Elemental and the opportunities to contribute/analyze/suggest that go along with the upcoming Beta.  I'll also be interested in hearing what the Alpha testers say about it all.

August 6, 2009 11:01:57 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

If there is any chance of getting the book to us before the game is released that would be awesome.  Maybe releasing the game in August of 2010 would help?

August 6, 2009 11:03:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Lord Reliant,
I'll also be interested in hearing what the Alpha testers say about it all.

Unfortunately I don't think we will be hearing anything from them anytime soon.  I heard/saw another poster said they are under NDA.

August 6, 2009 11:08:45 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Maybe a book for everyone that pre-orders when the game is released? Please?

August 6, 2009 11:09:10 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

/adds to his summer reading list

well, maybe summer reading for 2010...

August 6, 2009 11:42:50 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Cool! Books and games go well together!

August 6, 2009 11:46:44 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Scoutdog,
[cheapshot]What social life?![/cheapshot]

Coming from a 15 year old who spends the better part of his time on an obscure internet forum...

Sry, I had to.

On topic: I would buy the book, but I would also hope the lore is for the most part available online. Its always nice to know why "Martogs Bane" or whatever came to have its name.

August 7, 2009 12:17:14 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It will be nice to read the full book after reading your small stories over the years.  I am sure it will come out well.  You are not a bad writer.

August 7, 2009 1:20:56 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Today I spent a lot of time working on the story elements and timeline for Elemental to make sure it goes along with the book. There, I said it. There’s going to be a book that comes out at roughly the same time as the game.

I'm pretty sure I remember hearing about this book earlier in the forums or a developer journal, but it's new information for many of the new community members.

August 7, 2009 1:56:31 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well, looks like there will be plenty of backstory for any type of campain then.  Great!  That's what always felt empty to me about Sins, it had so much potential for a backstory.

August 7, 2009 3:17:40 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Very nasty teaser title, I thought there was actually going to be a storyline update - not an update about the story, but some little tidbit of actual lore.

What exactly is an alpha walkthru? Is it just you playing thru the build, is it a virtual tour of the game you give the alpha testers, or is it a writeup of things you want the alpha testers to try - or is it something else completely?

August 7, 2009 3:23:29 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I hope it will be available to order. And I hope it will be a real book. I dislike reading PDFs.

August 7, 2009 4:30:57 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting endofdayz,
"The scriptable engine allows each so-called sandbox game to have a truly unique life of its own because there’s just such a massive amount of lore to tap into."

sounds like my social life is a year away from crashing and burning.

Preorder and you can see it burn as soon as BETA starts

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000407   Page Render Time: