Researching Techs

By on July 18, 2009 4:52:04 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1477

This is a very very early implementation of the research screen.

We have a lot of work to do on research as we’ve been experimenting with lots of different ideas for the past few months.

The goal was to have something very different from Galactic Civilizations but also something that is easy for people to add their own techs, distinguish different factions with their own techs, and allow for infinite researching.

In this UI, the player has researched the ability to research 3 things at once (no penalty).  This option gives us a lot more flexibility in terms of letting people make interesting choices on what kind of civilization they want to develop (we’ll explain more on this as we get closer).

More to come.

Locked Post 130 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
July 18, 2009 5:31:22 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It surely won't be final design but I really like the job done with that menu. So neat.[e digicons]rool:[/e]

July 18, 2009 5:45:18 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums
Multiple research sounds cool. [Gal]Civ annoys me sometimes that I only get one topic to research at once. Love the feel of the UI, althogh I'd probably prefer it if the text on the left read 'Technological Research' as opposed to 'Research Technology' etc.
July 18, 2009 5:59:32 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Researching multiple techs?! Sounds pretty sweet! Thanks for the update!

July 18, 2009 6:02:00 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Sounds great! Multiple research dude I like it alot!

July 18, 2009 6:08:58 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Interesitng...... looks like a lot of data is still hidden on that screen: where does it show the techs unlocked? WILL techs be unlocked? I am also anxious to know if RNGs play any role in what you get, and how RP's are actually generated. Overall, this screenshot is maddeningly titillating [e digicons][/e] .

July 18, 2009 6:33:41 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Please tell me that the full text for the fourth option at the bottom there is 'Magical Stuff'

July 18, 2009 6:47:38 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Hmm, intersting. It has always annoyed me that in other TBS/4X games you can only research one thing at a time. I've never quite understood why every other game is like that when it doesn't really make that much sense. If simultaneous researching of techs stays in I will be very happy.

July 18, 2009 7:10:52 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

That looks awesome!

Quick question though, do I have to research 3 techs at once all the time?

Or can I invest my 3 research points in anyway I like?

For Example could I "rush" the production of "super swords mk1" by putting 2 (or even all 3) of them on it and one in "Combine harvesters"?

July 18, 2009 7:16:02 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Are you considering any sort of tech randomisation or exclusive paths? For some reason looking at your research screen made me remember how well Sword of the Stars did technology.

July 18, 2009 7:34:54 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Very nice update, thank you FrogBoy!

July 18, 2009 9:54:42 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Very cool. I am looking forward to the system allowing for infinite research.

July 18, 2009 10:01:50 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Researching 3 things at once seems to be an interesting difference from other 4x games! I was wondering since you guys were rethinking 4x economies if you were going to rethink how research is performed as well?

Thanks for the update, Frogboy!

Quoting Jonezie,
Please tell me that the full text for the fourth option at the bottom there is 'Magical Stuff'

My guess is 'magical studies', but you never know [e digicons]:thumbsup:[/e]

Quoting Shurdus,
Very cool. I am looking forward to the system allowing for infinite research.

What is infinite research, Shurdus?

July 18, 2009 10:03:59 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

wow, three at a time, and infinite research. To me, that means there's going to be a lot of different research topics.

July 18, 2009 10:07:13 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Frogboy said he was looking into allowing infinite researching, so I was thinking about something like Civ IV has with future tech 1, 2...

It would be a system where you will never finish researching no matter how many turns the game takes, or what is how I read it.

July 18, 2009 10:33:38 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm mostly optimistic about ∞ research, but then, there's something to be said for the feeling of accomplishment you get when you can finally say "I know everything" and drop that slider back down......

July 18, 2009 10:55:24 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Scoutdog,
I'm mostly optimistic about ∞ research, but then, there's something to be said for the feeling of accomplishment you get when you can finally say "I know everything" and drop that slider back down......
Personally, I'm the 'high tech nerd' so I like never finishing the tech tree...

Of course, if I never finish the tech tree I may never get around to unleashing my Vorlon like strength upon the mere Humans (Centauri, Narn, Drazi, etc etc) around me.

July 18, 2009 10:56:38 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Scoutdog,
Ditto.

I prefer exactly this. Civ4, I just kept pouring resources into there, and it felt pointless.

[e digicons]:fox:[/e]

July 18, 2009 11:36:38 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Nights Edge,
Are you considering any sort of tech randomisation or exclusive paths?
Seconded.

July 18, 2009 11:42:12 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I don't know if this counts as tech randomization but we are planning to have a pool of techs that are are inserted into games based on whether they make their probability roll.

I.e. certain techs would show up in some games but not in others. Not core techs but ones that spice things up in different directions.

July 18, 2009 11:56:56 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,
I don't know if this counts as tech randomization but we are planning to have a pool of techs that are are inserted into games based on whether they make their probability roll.

I.e. certain techs would show up in some games but not in others. Not core techs but ones that spice things up in different directions.

Just like the MoM spellbook!

Also, this part is directed to Astrath the person who doesn't like the term "research technology".  In this case Research is the verb.  If you look at the other tabs.

Design Units.

Study Spells

Negotiate Treaties

These are all things to do.  I much prefer this to your no verb arrangement.

How would you rewrite the other three to be consistent with your "technological research" tab.

Spell studies?

treaty negotiations?

Unit Designs?

those are all significantly less straightforward.  Like I said before verbs state that you're doing something which I like.

July 19, 2009 12:08:39 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

More better news! Man, is there anything this game wont have?

July 19, 2009 12:22:05 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

This is exactly what has been on my wish list. This is one of the things that will give the game a lot of replayability. Very good news!

July 19, 2009 12:24:50 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

This has been high on my wish list and will give the game a ton of replay value I think. I hope there is soem of that in the spell research as well... (?)

July 19, 2009 2:10:20 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

curses, the resolution of that image is not high enough for me to extract a quality rip of those emblems for use in avatars.  I really like the bird over the field in farming.  It makes me want to go role-play for some reason (I ran a campaign that took place in a world mostly covered in grasslands, of which that reminds me)

I really like the sound of these random techs.   I'm very curious to see how it will work.  I can't imagine not having things like "farming" or "education" as techs in only a few games.   I'd  guess all the techs seen here are in all games.

Also, would techs available change from person to person like  in MoM, and must have some sort of tech-trade system?   or bleed over based on culture (a tech becomes available when your civilization recieves enough culture of the other place)

July 19, 2009 5:59:03 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

KellenDunk I was referring to the wording of all of them, not just the Tech one.

Anyway its about as minor a thing as minor can be.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000157   Page Render Time: