Unholy alliance/ Alliance of convenience

By on July 3, 2009 5:27:31 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Chipwich

Join Date 03/2006
+1

One of the things that is lacking in most 4x games is forming alliances with factions that have a mutual goal but not the best relations. Normally if you want an ally, you have to be best freinds for the entire course of the game. I propose that there should be a mechanic that allows 2 cobelligerents to have the gameplay benefits of an alliance for the duration of a war regardless of relations if Faction A considers faction B to be less of a threat than C.

Locked Post 11 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
July 3, 2009 6:54:34 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Sounds good. The alliance might bring them closer together in the long run, too...... of course, there would be all sorts of "betrayal" options, so people would keep their gaurd up..... much fun!

July 3, 2009 11:30:46 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I like Civ 4's "brothers in arms brings us closer together" or something like that.   If the AI is good at all, faction A will ally with Faction B to take out C even if it doesn't like B provided C is a worse enemy (and mutual, since they wouldn't ally with B against C if B and C are best friends... unless its Sins of a Solar empire, in which case I hate how they are like "go thrash your best friend" all the time)

July 3, 2009 11:31:01 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I like it.  It's akin to the Allies and the Soviet Union in World War 2.

July 4, 2009 12:35:08 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'd love to see something like this. Temporary alliances with specific terms. Even though we hate each other, we join forces to thrash an even more hated 3rd party but that's it. No obligation to defend each other from new threats or other players, for example, and only limited sharing of intelligence. It would be neat if we could choose what kind of intelligence to share, like any intelligence regarding our mutual enemy, intelligence about our militaries (possibly limited to selected armies, even). For example, we might want each other to know where our offensive forces are for better coordination and such without sharing any information about defenses that we don't think are relevant - basically, sharing information on a need-to-know basis.

July 4, 2009 11:06:09 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I could have sworn I already posted in support of this, but because I apparently didn't: Good idea!

July 4, 2009 2:12:02 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Alliance of Convenience sounds fine to me. However, to me the Unholy Alliance suggests an extremly far-fetched one between two that are polar opposites. To continue with the WWII reference, Unholy Alliance would be to me Hitler and Churchill teaming up. In GalCiv2 terms, it'd be the morally righteous do-gooder Altarians allying with the xenophobic nd genocidal Korath. 

July 4, 2009 2:49:06 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Kitkun,
In GalCiv2 terms, it'd be the morally righteous do-gooder Altarians allying with the xenophobic nd genocidal Korath.

But that would only happen if a third party came a long that was hated by the Altarians and Korath even more than they hate each other, and only if the Altarians and Korath understood that their only chance of victory against this abomination is to join forces. Once that's over (assuming they win) they'd be back at each others' throats - and there would probably be a lot of backstabbing and deception between them even during the conflict.

I'd love to see this happen. For even most hated enemies to temporarily work together against something they both think is even worse, rather than choosing certain destruction by going it alone. Like every other aspect of AI, though, I'd like there to be some randomness, some unpredictability - so even if all the conditions are there, this wouldn't always happen. And it might happen on occasion even when you don't quite expect it to.

July 4, 2009 3:45:28 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

For me an "unholy alliance" is any alliance of a weak but devious evil individual and a powerful and eviller force. Sort of like Wormtounge and Saruman in LOTR, or Pettigrew and Voldemort in Harry Potter...... or the Drengin and Dread Lords in GC2. They don't particularly LIKE each other, but are willing to share domination of others.

July 9, 2009 3:09:06 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Space Empires V had a great treaty and alliance structure, which unfortunately suffered from so many bugs as to make it far less useful than it could be.  I think something with that number of options, or even a few more, would be great.

July 12, 2009 5:03:56 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Personally, I prefer the term "Strange Bedfellows" alliance as opposed to "Unholy" alliance.    Regardless, though, I love the idea!  

July 17, 2009 12:47:46 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

+ 1 karma for Strange bedfellows,   I think it's a much better term then unholy alliance to describe the deired alliance type. 

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000235   Page Render Time: