A picture worths thousands word, what can this picture tell us?

By on June 9, 2009 1:32:18 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Climber

Join Date 03/2006
+17

Just try to get some groupthink here.  Looking from Kitkun’s picture here, I believe I understand a few things:
1.    Green area (probably made by spending essence) is the only productive area that gives out resources. 
2.    City has a (red) border)
3.    10 ESS probably means that the amount of Essence  the Soverigen can spend is finite, depend on his level
4.    There is both spell research (scorching touch) and tech research (weaponry)
5.    Looking at the left top corner, the sovereign displayed here  is at level 1, has spell casting ability of level 1 (& mana level represented by the blue bar).  He does not seem to have magical resistance.
6.    When you build a new building for a city, the city perimeter (city wall) just expand with it.
7.    Hills are not traversable, so walking only unit has a lot of choke point.

What is that sun like halo?

There must be something else you can derive from this picture.  Thanks Kitkun!

Locked Post 42 Replies +1 Karma
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
GW Swicord
June 9, 2009 9:11:09 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting lordkosc,
imageshack is blocked here at my work, noooooooooo
Fail.

June 9, 2009 9:42:47 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting lordkosc,
imageshack is blocked here at my work, noooooooooo

I used to have that problem.  Then I discovered proxy servers.   (then I started working from home via VPN)

But just for you

TA-DA

June 9, 2009 10:41:18 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Denryu,
lol @ myself - yeah I went and looked at the full-size image and see that is not a mine but ruins. I blame old eyes and dirty glasses...

I hate dirty glasses. I probably spend a good 2 or 3% of my life cleaning my glasses...

On topic: do you think that little outcropping of rocks left and a little up from the shard tower is some kind of ore deposit? And up and to the right of that there's a bright spot half covered by a rock that almost looks like it could be a crater or something...

June 10, 2009 12:09:55 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

NTJedi, Psychoak's Reply#4 is my answer.

Speaking of hills, the OP picture 'hill' here  http://forums.elementalgame.com/354834 looks like it is passable (esp. if it is not so steep).  So I presume there are both passable & impassable hills.

In the OP, a hill (or rocky crops, whatever) is each separated with each other.  1 hill per tile looks quick ugly.  I hope/believe all will be linked up when SD refine the gfx later.

Speculation...  Not sure what is exactly selected here in the screenshot.  I'll assume it is the city being selected.  When this is the case, that means the Sovereign's statistic is always shown.

If the city is NOT being selected, otoh, means that the 3 Resources listed depends on the zoom level.  I meant if you zoom out, the number of resources increases as the area seen is increased.

The red border... I might have another speculation with it.  Because the way the lower middle border is drawn I think there is another city very close by.

June 10, 2009 1:11:06 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

every proxy i've tried is ALSO blocked at my work

June 10, 2009 9:06:20 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting lordkosc,
every proxy i've tried is ALSO blocked at my work

Find a career like mine which allows you to work from home.   Cuts down on the cost of gas, eating out, speeding tickets, vehicle maintenance and just calculate how much time is spent every year driving to and from work.   

June 11, 2009 6:39:53 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting NTJedi,
Find a career like mine which allows you to work from home.   Cuts down on the cost of gas, eating out, speeding tickets, vehicle maintenance and just calculate how much time is spent every year driving to and from work.
Because as we all know, such careers are widely available for the common schmo.

Quit your gloating.

June 11, 2009 9:47:03 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting pigeonpigeon,

On topic: do you think that little outcropping of rocks left and a little up from the shard tower is some kind of ore deposit? And up and to the right of that there's a bright spot half covered by a rock that almost looks like it could be a crater or something...

I definately think that the ore looking rocks are some sort of resource, but I think that the crater covered by the rock might just be some extra terrain piece.  If you look around, there are glowing cracks from the ground and other peices of random rock jutting in strange dierctions, that crater looking thing might just be a a random combination of it.

June 11, 2009 1:57:58 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

For the tech research saying "weaponry",  my hunch is that this is an example of indefinite reseach.  You don't know what kind of weapon enhancement you'll got after the research is done.

June 11, 2009 2:17:49 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

You don't know what kind of weapon enhancement you'll got after the research is done.

Except if you look at the files, or play the game more than once. Or are you actually taking about a random tech system....... that would be interesting, but I don't think it's ever been tried before.

June 11, 2009 2:33:42 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I am speculating it is "random tech system", you don't know  if you'll get a spear tech or a sword tech when u r researching 'weaponry'.

June 11, 2009 2:55:26 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

As I said before, that would make a lot more sense. There are a few kinks to iron out (namely keeping uber-powerful techs from appearing too early in the game) but it would definately be woth consideration.

June 11, 2009 3:00:26 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

From climber's reply #34 onward, I am not sure how this has anything to do with this thread. Moreover, I am not sure where reply #34 came from - it just seems to be a random thought. Now I understand that, as I have random thoughts all the time and someitmes even post them.

June 11, 2009 3:13:41 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Actually the topic of the thread is basically what can we learn from the screenshot, so he's basically just speculating on something he noticed.  Also keep in mind the game is pre-alpha, it could just be a placeholder at this point.

June 11, 2009 3:54:49 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Ashain,
Actually the topic of the thread is basically what can we learn from the screenshot, so he's basically just speculating on something he noticed.  Also keep in mind the game is pre-alpha, it could just be a placeholder at this point.

Ah i see that now - it does relate to the SS.

That being said, I bet "weaponry" is just the analog of "space weapons" and "space defenses" in GC2 which then in the tech tree you could study lasers, missiles, or projectiles, and on the defense side the specific techs to counter each. My guess is after weaponry that you then have the option to study "sword", "spear", "bow", etc. Sorry for the misunderstanding Climber

June 11, 2009 4:06:15 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Also a "remote" worker.  We should take a poll...

June 11, 2009 10:17:24 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Denryu,

That being said, I bet "weaponry" is just the analog of "space weapons" and "space defenses" in GC2 which then in the tech tree you could study lasers, missiles, or projectiles, and on the defense side the specific techs to counter each. My guess is after weaponry that you then have the option to study "sword", "spear", "bow", etc. Sorry for the misunderstanding Climber

I think you're probably right, and I think that if you continue researching Weaponry it will improve all your different types of weaponry (whereas further researching, say "Short Swords" would provide a comparatively large bonus to short swords but nothing to spears, or Long Swords, etc).

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000297   Page Render Time: