A picture worths thousands word, what can this picture tell us?

By on June 9, 2009 1:32:18 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Climber

Join Date 03/2006
+17

Just try to get some groupthink here.  Looking from Kitkun’s picture here, I believe I understand a few things:
1.    Green area (probably made by spending essence) is the only productive area that gives out resources. 
2.    City has a (red) border)
3.    10 ESS probably means that the amount of Essence  the Soverigen can spend is finite, depend on his level
4.    There is both spell research (scorching touch) and tech research (weaponry)
5.    Looking at the left top corner, the sovereign displayed here  is at level 1, has spell casting ability of level 1 (& mana level represented by the blue bar).  He does not seem to have magical resistance.
6.    When you build a new building for a city, the city perimeter (city wall) just expand with it.
7.    Hills are not traversable, so walking only unit has a lot of choke point.

What is that sun like halo?

There must be something else you can derive from this picture.  Thanks Kitkun!

Locked Post 42 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
June 9, 2009 1:52:33 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

8) That wall looks like a shrubbery.

http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/4750/67925139.png

A larger version.

June 9, 2009 2:17:11 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm guessing the green wall is definitely organic in nature.

The white structure in the top left is some type of tomb or dungeon.

Not sure why so many trees are near the city walls since strategically this would only help enemy attacks/sieges unless on the battlefield they are non-existent OR non-obstacle and unusable obstacle.    Perhaps the trees support the organic wall?

The sun like halo...  most likely either the current season OR the current weather.

====

Climber...  how did you determine #6 and #7  ??   

June 9, 2009 3:36:23 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The wall could be rough stone, not sure if I see it as shrubbery even with the color.  In fact lookin in the big pic I'd say rough stone more. 

Looks like something is being build, an addition, of the castle. 

Trees could be built, as a resource like orchards, for the city- maybe magical ingredients.

I would guess the sun thing is either the mark of a spell or showing the city is special in some way.

June 9, 2009 3:43:33 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

6 is pretty obvious, the green wall and accompanying trees are wrapped around the buildings in a uniform manner.  Only a bleeding moron would build such a city, as the walls will be in the way right when he goes to build something else.  It's a tiny little place, not at all a finished product.

7 I'm not real sure about, those large structures could be mountains, not hills in general.  They do appear to be impassable, based on the hard edging.

Since we can't see any actual resources, I'm not at all comfortable with 1, and the red border appears to be the marker for the edge of the revitalized area, so may have nothing to do with the city.  One would want to center the city in his useful land.

June 9, 2009 4:45:41 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

No mini map?

Really nice screenshot. The graphics are starting to look nice indeed. I think this game will have a great atmosphere.

June 9, 2009 9:46:00 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

One thing that I noticed is that you see resource lists (red potion and two thingies of herbs) despite the fact that it is a unit that is highlighted, not the city. This could mean one of two things:

• The UI allows you to select both a unit and city at once. A good touch, but not terribly impressive.
  • Individual units can carry and hold resources. Now, THAT opens up a whpole range of possibilities...

I am also reasonably sure that the "sun-like halo" is an explosion. Who or what is exploding, I don't know.

June 9, 2009 9:51:04 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The firey-orb is a 'Flare' spell that was cast to open FOW.

That wall arond the city is the basic 'Hedge' fencing...it gives no defensive bonuses. You'll be able to place 'Guard Towers' to upgrade your wall's defensive level (which will upgrade the gfx as well).

Mini Map is in the upper-right corner...it's just rolled up.  You can also collapse your Channeler's stats in the upper left corner.

June 9, 2009 10:05:20 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Pardon me for the helpless vocab cop moment, but groupthink is a problem, not something you want to do on purpose. Brainstorming on the screen cap, however, is a fine idea, IMO.

The whitish ruins(?) in the upper left corner caught my eye immediately also. Dungeon entrance seems plausible. NTJedi, did you think tomb (temple?) because the thing seems to be a light source or at least be lit when compared to the surrounding blasted territory?

Scoutdog, I didn't even think of a combo unit/city selection when I saw the Resources listed. You made me spot yet another unquestioned assumption--I hadn't even considered the idea that the channeler and the champions might not be able to carry stuff other than their weapons. I don't want a complicated unit inventory system, but I guess I definitely want something along those lines.

More than anything else, that sun/fireball/whatever makes me hope that we will have some flight functionality. Unless my imagination's just betraying me by making me think that thing is more or less over the town.

June 9, 2009 10:26:30 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Could the thing you guys are calling ruins be a mine of some kind, and the illumination is just FOW visibility due to player having units there?

I don't think the red border is a city border, it more likely the complete border of that kingdom, which atm is only one city - seems to me the city border is the wall/hedge thing.

June 9, 2009 10:39:47 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I don't think the red border is the city border or the kingdom border. If you look closely at the bottom of the city, the red line curves up into it and does some wierd curvey thing.

June 9, 2009 10:40:04 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I don't thing that both of the resources are herbs. The one on the far right looks like smoke or gas or something.

Also, Essence is listed along with attack and defense. This implies that it is more like mana than I had previously thought.

June 9, 2009 10:50:05 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

UPDATE: Where are you getting these screenshots? I've looked all over the site, and they don't appear to exist outside of this forum. The URL just liks to ImageShack...

June 9, 2009 10:51:20 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

UPDATE 2: And, as soon as I ask, I find the post with the answer. Never mind......

June 9, 2009 10:55:08 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The white structure appears to be castle ruins to me so probably a dungeon, and the red borders might be something like land that can be built on.

Also, any ideas on what the bottom numbers could be, one says 1000 and the other says 11 I think, maybe gold and population?

June 9, 2009 11:50:28 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Sweet... need more PICTURES!

June 9, 2009 11:59:10 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Also, any ideas on what the bottom numbers could be, one says 1000 and the other says 11 I think, maybe gold and population?

That's it. My question mis: is 1000 gold rich, or poor?

June 9, 2009 12:45:51 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

A picture worths thousands word, what can this picture tell us?

That Frogboy prefers to post the best screenshots anywhere but here?

Really really nice picture. Wish we could get a daily pic or something (in the forum...). Alpha, where are you?*

* Yeah, I know that it will be only cloth map.

June 9, 2009 2:19:01 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Really really nice picture. Wish we could get a daily pic or something (in the forum...).

Brad? Braaaaad...... yooo hoooooo............

+1 karma for excellent idea and final non-eyebrow-raising avatar. Although if you look at it a certain way....... NO! THIS WILL NOT BECOME THE BEAR CAVALRY THREAD!!!!!!!

June 9, 2009 3:21:04 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thanks for the info, Boogiebac.

Couple of things that have me wondering... the central info pane and the one in the upper left appear to be showing similar info, but what's displayed is different. What does what, then?

The bars in the upper left, one green and one... empty?

Why are there gates when the walls seem to be weaker than the doors?

The tower obviously has some magical property, but why are there columns that appear to have been knocked over and/or damaged around it? The yellow flowers around it look a little flat, too.

Here, the road appears to be curving for the sake of curving sharply. It would be nice to have it curve a bit more gently.

Couple of other things: Nice variety. Few of the trees are repeated, though that appears to be because they are apart of the Hedge sections. But the flora looks great, from the scattered flowers to the cacti, and it's hard to spot duplicates in the rock formations.

I like that structures are shown to be under construction, rather than just appearing out of nowhere.

The one on the far right looks like smoke or gas or something.
Looks more like a green fireball to me.

The white structure appears to be castle ruins to me so probably a dungeon
Agreed. Looks like the remains of a city where the fertile land has turned into a desert, which in turn is decaying even further. There's cacti and even a bit of grass and flowers there, but only dead trees elsewhere.

the red borders might be something like land that can be built on.
This... I'd think either that or influence, but unless it's something completely unrevealed as of yet, and considering how it crosses over itself, I'm gonna guess that whatever it is, it's borked atm.

June 9, 2009 4:06:43 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The tower obviously has some magical property, but why are there columns that appear to have been knocked over and/or damaged around it? The yellow flowers around it look a little flat, too.

That is an Element crystal. I THINK it's an air crystal, but it might be earth as well.... the columns are knocked over because it is an ancient artifact from before the Cateclysm.

Agreed. Looks like the remains of a city where the fertile land has turned into a desert, which in turn is decaying even further. There's cacti and even a bit of grass and flowers there, but only dead trees elsewhere.

Turning INTO deasert, or turning FROM deasert?

June 9, 2009 4:15:43 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

That is an Element crystal. I THINK it's an air crystal, but it might be earth as well.... the columns are knocked over because it is an ancient artifact from before the Cateclysm.
Oh yeah... anyways, I was under the impression that the tower was built to utilise it, but that makes sense.

Turning INTO deasert, or turning FROM deasert?
Fertile land already turned into a desert, which is becoming like the surrounding land.

June 9, 2009 4:41:02 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting BoogieBac,
The firey-orb is a 'Flare' spell that was cast to open FOW.

That wall arond the city is the basic 'Hedge' fencing...it gives no defensive bonuses. You'll be able to place 'Guard Towers' to upgrade your wall's defensive level (which will upgrade the gfx as well).

Mini Map is in the upper-right corner...it's just rolled up.  You can also collapse your Channeler's stats in the upper left corner.

so the answer is post pictures and have them explain for it.

but seriously, I am very pleased with this new information.  Its starting to look ready to play.   I wonder how this will appear on the cloth map.  (it has less interface than I expected)

June 9, 2009 7:55:20 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Climber: "3.    10 ESS probably means that the amount of Essence  the Soverigen can spend is finite, depend on his level
5.    Looking at the left top corner, the sovereign displayed here  is at level 1, has spell casting ability of level 1 (& mana level represented by the blue bar).  He does not seem to have magical resistance.
7.    Hills are not traversable, so walking only unit has a lot of choke point.

What is that sun like halo?"

3. The only thing 10 ESS tells us is that the channeler currently has 10 Essence and that it is treated like a consumable trait. It may or may not be finite, it may or may not increase, and if it increases it may or may not increase via experience, quests, etc. So basically, all it tells us is that there is Essence, which we already knew.

5. How did you deduce the spell casting ability of level 1 bit? I just assumed that 1 means Level 1 and the 10 means 10 Essence.

7. I wouldn't call those hills... They're craggy rock formations. They do look very impassable, though. I hope there will be normal [passable] hills, too.

I'm surprised more people didn't recognize the sun thing from the spell dev journal.

Quoting BoogieBac,

Yay, I was right about it being a hedge wall!

Quoting Denryu,
Could the thing you guys are calling ruins be a mine of some kind, and the illumination is just FOW visibility due to player having units there?

Definitely not a mine. Unless people in this game build mines that look like crumbled/sinking castle ruins.

Quoting kyogre12,
I don't think the red border is the city border or the kingdom border. If you look closely at the bottom of the city, the red line curves up into it and does some wierd curvey thing.

I think the red border is some sort of usable land border, and that the game currently considers tiles under construction unusable, hence the weird curvy thing going on. Although I guess that would also assume they haven't implemented a good border-drawing algorithm yet.

Quoting Kitkun,
Why are there gates when the walls seem to be weaker than the doors?

Hedges can actually be pretty damn strong. It looks like the gates have stone support (supporting giant swinging doors from a hedge would be hard), but the gate doors themselves are probably wooden.

Edit: I hate quoting so much in these forums. Is it really impossible to mix normal quotes with credited quotes?

June 9, 2009 8:24:05 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

lol @ myself - yeah I went and looked at the full-size image and see that is not a mine but ruins. I blame old eyes and dirty glasses...

June 9, 2009 9:01:56 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

imageshack is blocked here at my work, noooooooooo

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000313   Page Render Time: