Elemental Community Rankings! Where do you fit in?

People who have been really helpful in the past from the community

By on June 4, 2009 10:45:53 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Sammual

Join Date 09/2004
+12

Hey all,

The Elemental team will be 'pre-selecting about two dozen people who have been really helpful in the past from the community to be in' the first Elemental Beta. 

After reading Denryu's post (Below) I wondered, How many active posters do we have?  How would they rank themselves and others? (But more importantly how would they rank me?).

Quoting Denryu,
So two dozen people that have the inside track +~76 others... hopefully the people that are active on the forums own at least some of the other games - we ALL own GC or GC2 amirite? Are there even 76 active people on the forums? (In the EWOM sections?) I think all of our chances are pretty good...

My question for the forum dwelers is, Who do you rank as the top 24 forum contributers and where do you fall (In or out of the top 24) in your mind?

Sammual

Locked Post 71 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
June 5, 2009 4:06:35 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Hrm. I suppose I'll make a list:

Me first and everyone else last. Or do I have that the wrong way around?

June 5, 2009 4:13:33 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Kitkun,
Hrm. I suppose I'll make a list:

Me first and everyone else last. Or do I have that the wrong way around?

Obviously. I'm not even in it.

June 5, 2009 7:21:25 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting landisaurus,
...what exactly are you suggesting?    

Wouldn't "honey" be more appropriate?   ...

Well, sweetie, I didn't mean the double-entendre but it works for me if you're Southern enough to understand that that sort of sugar is mostly about affection, not sex. The world definitely needs more of that sort of sugar. And, yes, honey would make for better prose. I was just trying to be all strat-gamer/modeler/whatever.

Quoting psychoak,
I think I'm an asshole, and extracting top 24 names from the forum posts would take too much effort.  Extracting them from my brain is out of the question.

I think you're an asshole too, but I have a much higher opinion of assholes than the average Yogi (hence my repeatedly persecuting with karma points). Speaking as a lapsed political scientist, I'd argue that a healthy pseudo-democracy (public beta) more or less requires assholes, if for no other reason than to make 'the establishment' check its assumptions on a regular basis.

Quoting Ron Lugge,
...I'm mostly around the developers journals forum...  These days, I generally tend to avoid the circular arguments that erupt in the general forums prior to the beta release, it just feels... icky. ...

Interesting. I've had an almost-opposite reaction to the Dev Journals area. It seems equally vulnerable to loop-us ad naseum discussions with the added ick factor of awkward fanboigirl patter. And I trust you're not saying that you enjoy circular arguements post-RTM.

Quoting pigeonpigeon,
... And now that we know for sure that there won't be an NDA, at least those of us who don't make it in still get to see the juicy pictures and read about it!

I second your second of Denryu's point about not getting pissy if you don't get into the alpha. On your point about the juicy bits, I hope at least a big share of the alpha folks can make time to both play/work the build and do some public posts about it. I felt some cross-pressure there during the much simpler betas for GC2 expansions.

June 5, 2009 8:49:45 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Well, Alpha/Gamma testing is fun and good as long as you are ready and committed to do the required work.  It always bugs me a bit to see people get in, and then disappear....especially when there are so many people would give their right arm to help form the best game possible.  Still, I do understand that sometimes life just happens and people's priorities change.

Well, as far as answering the topic question, I would guess I would rapidly be approaching mid level in the rankings with the amount of recent attention I am paying to this game.

I plan on putting even more effort into Elemental than I did with Sins of a Solar Empire.

June 5, 2009 8:57:08 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting GW Swicord,

Quoting landisaurus, reply 8...what exactly are you suggesting?    

Wouldn't "honey" be more appropriate?   ...

Well, sweetie, I didn't mean the double-entendre but it works for me if you're Southern enough to understand that that sort of sugar is mostly about affection, not sex. The world definitely needs more of that sort of sugar. And, yes, honey would make for better prose. I was just trying to be all strat-gamer/modeler/whatever.

you brought sext into it.   calling me a bear lover or something.  (or were you talking about luckmann?)

I never understood the whole bears = honey lovers (both pooh-bear and yogi both loved honey for reasons I don't know.  I think there is some fact behind bears eating out of bee hives, but I've never seen it)

Quoting Paradoxnt,
Well, Alpha/Gamma testing is fun and good as long as you are ready and committed to do the required work.  It always bugs me a bit to see people get in, and then disappear....especially when there are so many people would give their right arm to help form the best game possible.

I know I expect to make good use of it should I get in.   I plan to write pretty lengthy reviews

June 5, 2009 9:11:46 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I was going to make a joke about prefering quality posts over long ones.  But having seen the quality of your posts so far, I don't think that is a concern.  Good stuff!

June 5, 2009 9:58:11 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

As Yogi was smarter than the average bear, isn't the substitution of questionable merit?

June 5, 2009 10:26:25 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Interesting. I've had an almost-opposite reaction to the Dev Journals area. It seems equally vulnerable to loop-us ad naseum discussions with the added ick factor of awkward fanboigirl patter. And I trust you're not saying that you enjoy circular arguements post-RTM.

Ah, but the initial post is quite fun   And the arguments aren't quite so...  pointless...?  as they are elsewhere.

June 6, 2009 1:01:51 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting landisaurus,
[...]
you brought sext into it.   calling me a bear lover or something.  (or were you talking about luckmann?)
[...]

... wait, what? What were we talking about again?

Quoting Ron Lugge,
Ah, but the initial post is quite fun And the arguments aren't quite so...  pointless...?  as they are elsewhere.
But is it not the discourse itself that leads to enlightenment, rather than the questions answered?

Edit: Fix't.

June 6, 2009 1:21:54 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

enlightment
Quite a dim bulb there.

June 6, 2009 1:33:43 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Kitkun,
Quite a dim bulb there.

Bah, you.

June 6, 2009 6:57:44 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Luckmann,

Quoting Kitkun, reply 10Quite a dim bulb there.

Bah, you.

June 6, 2009 9:11:25 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Troll smash?

NO, RWAAAAR, ROOK SMASH!

June 6, 2009 10:14:44 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I believe some of the first beta testers should be of a quality of all ages and computer types. I think they need to get a feel for how different age groups will react to different aspects of the game. I also think they need to have testers with high and low end systems so they can get a feel for what the recommended and required system setups they need. I am in my 50's so I would fit the elderly age group that they surely need to let them know what is liked and not liked about the game from our age point of view. Of course I rank myself way up there as numero uno. ;0)

They also need testers who will try to break the game as I do when I'm a tester. I do things normally most wouldn't do. I do them backwards instead of forwards all the time. I actually look for mistakes in the programming and do the unorthodox since most testers just want a free game to play and don't do a very good job of testing else you wouldn't see all these bug ridden releases you have seen for the past 10 years or so. Back in the day I was a regualr tester for SSI games and you hardly ever had a bug or issues with those games.

June 6, 2009 10:20:30 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yeah, I enjoy pushing the limits. Especially when there are cheats .  I am also one of the youngest posters on the site who actually contributes (I'm 15, but I think Szadowsz is 14), and I have a good (but not great) laptop computer.

June 6, 2009 10:35:18 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Hi Ron, I believe that was a Troll scholar = it does without the 'Rwaaaar' type dialogue. 

June 6, 2009 10:35:35 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Friends don't let friends type when tipsy, but you can apparently get away with it if none of your friends are around at the moment...

Wasn't thinking about Chester the Molester at all when I coined ursinophile. Yes, the Yogi line is sort of a grammatical navel-dive. Yes, real bears definitely love honey--I've seen lots of examples on video.

Previous silly typing is just more evidence that if I fit in anywhere, it's the cheap seats in the peanut gallery, way in the back but still within heckling distance. If I grow up enough to reliably play well with others, maybe I can find another old fart to share a balcony with...

June 7, 2009 1:26:26 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting psychoravin,
I believe some of the first beta testers should be of a quality of all ages and computer types. I think they need to get a feel for how different age groups will react to different aspects of the game. I also think they need to have testers with high and low end systems so they can get a feel for what the recommended and required system setups they need. I am in my 50's so I would fit the elderly age group that they surely need to let them know what is liked and not liked about the game from our age point of view. Of course I rank myself way up there as numero uno. ;0)

They also need testers who will try to break the game as I do when I'm a tester. I do things normally most wouldn't do. I do them backwards instead of forwards all the time. I actually look for mistakes in the programming and do the unorthodox since most testers just want a free game to play and don't do a very good job of testing else you wouldn't see all these bug ridden releases you have seen for the past 10 years or so. Back in the day I was a regualr tester for SSI games and you hardly ever had a bug or issues with those games.

Very modest Unfortunately, I don't think Stardock is taking applications for alpha testing spots...

June 8, 2009 12:21:55 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Paradoxnt,
Hi Ron, I believe that was a Troll scholar = it does without the 'Rwaaaar' type dialogue. 

It might, but rwaaaar, rook don't!  (Or is more of a mrrrroar! moan?)

June 8, 2009 12:47:05 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It might, but rwaaaar, rook don't! (Or is more of a mrrrroar! moan?)
Sounds more like Rook has indigestion.

June 8, 2009 10:46:40 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting landisaurus,

Quoting Solam,
reply 10
I give my two coppers now and again. But I do not think I am that active.

yeah, but you consistantly put in your two coppers.  I don't think I've noticed any lengthy amount of time you've been absent from the forums and you've been here since the begining.

I think I'm an asshole, and extracting top 24 names from the forum posts would take too much effort.  Extracting them from my brain is out of the question.

Personally, I'd feel like an asshole if I DID make a top 24 names.   Just because I know my opinion would be totally biased, especially once the 1st 10 or so had passed and I started just looking around for people who haven't pissed me off or gave me karma or something.  Then people that deserved to be on the top 24 would hate me because I neglected to notice how much they contributed.

Especially since I expect people like Sevenix and Horse Radish to be included because of their help in past games (I payed attention to Demigod, I wasn't really around for Sins original beta)

Well thank you very much for the clap on the back. It's much appreciated.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000235   Page Render Time: