Elemental Community Rankings! Where do you fit in?

People who have been really helpful in the past from the community

By on June 4, 2009 10:45:53 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Sammual

Join Date 09/2004
+12

Hey all,

The Elemental team will be 'pre-selecting about two dozen people who have been really helpful in the past from the community to be in' the first Elemental Beta. 

After reading Denryu's post (Below) I wondered, How many active posters do we have?  How would they rank themselves and others? (But more importantly how would they rank me?).

Quoting Denryu,
So two dozen people that have the inside track +~76 others... hopefully the people that are active on the forums own at least some of the other games - we ALL own GC or GC2 amirite? Are there even 76 active people on the forums? (In the EWOM sections?) I think all of our chances are pretty good...

My question for the forum dwelers is, Who do you rank as the top 24 forum contributers and where do you fall (In or out of the top 24) in your mind?

Sammual

Locked Post 71 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
June 4, 2009 11:07:14 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I rank about.. hmm..

#2,336,003

As to how others rank, will leave that to the Elemental gods.

June 4, 2009 11:31:51 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

No comment. 

June 4, 2009 11:36:44 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I just feel that NO ONE is entitled to alpha, including myself, so I think all rankings aside, we should all be prepared to just keep our chin up and not get pissy if we are not included. Be happy for those that are, etc etc.

I wouldnt do a numerical ranking but I would say there are probably 10ish folks that I would feel badly being picked before because they are just so freaking awesome.

Just going from memory, some poeple that I would personally like to see in would be:

GW Swicord - just seems incredibly smart and seems VERY into this game and has tons of good ideas. OK I am not going to do a write up for each person, that will take too long...

pigeonpigeon, Wintersong, psychoak, NTjedi, scoutdog, landisaurus - these few at LEAST I would feel bad if I got in and they didn't. Maybe a couple of others. Might they also be taking previous beta testers from other games that may not be posting here much? If so I am sure if they had some excellent beta testers they would get invited back.

Then there is a whole mess of us that I feel are on pretty even parity and would neither feel bad if they got in ahead of me but would not feel bad if I got in ahead of them either.

Sammual (OP), climber, sZadowsz (sp?), myself, luckmann, darkodinplus, fenhiro, Ynglaur, CapnWinky, Ron Lugge, kitkun,  spartan  jump immediately to mind, but there are probably easily a dozen or so others that could fit into that group.

That being said, I think between the 24 reserved spots and the other random spots - my GUT tells me that we all have a pretty decent shot.

June 4, 2009 11:43:12 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Ranking other folks? Egad, I have a hard enough time with my ambivalence about the karma system (and am glad to see hints that it is out of the criteria for the lottery slots). Plus, there's the 'problem' of folks who often drive me up the wall with some of their typing yet also reliably give me rewarding hmmm... moments. Is that helpful of them or just weird taste in forum typing on my part?

Ranking myself? I actually got a semi-serious chewing out once from a friend who was also my manager because I thought it was stupid to have me try to put numbers to a bunch of sloppy phrases about my "performance" in the past year. I told him I thought that was a manager's job, not mine. I'd briefly forgotten the most important part of manager-employee relations: employees should generally obey. (That story is a good example of why political scientists tend to make bad politicians; I knew better at a theoretical level, but that understanding didn't do squat for my behavior.)

June 4, 2009 11:44:48 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I had a very interesting discussion yesterday at work about how the developers I work with rate thier own abilities vs how others rate them and this struck me as a good way to get a bit more data without pissing off my co-workers. *grin*

I have been re-reading a lot of the threads that I thought contained a lot of good discusions and came up with a list of about 20 people that I believe contributed to the Elemental discussions often and in a positive manner.  I also have a list of about 50 names that contributed less often.  I was under the impression that the Elemental community was much larger then that.

The people that IMHO contribute the most to this community (In no real order) are;

Spartan

Lansisaurus

Climber

Denryu

KiethLamathe

NTJedi

GW Swicord

Pigeonpigeon

Orleanknight

Tamren

Solam

Annatar11

Darkodinplus

Scoutdog

Legerdemain

Lord Reliant

Psychoak

Luckman

Wintersong

Campaigner

That is the top 20, I feel that I fit in there towards the bottom of the top 20.  After that it gets harder to place people.

Any thoughts, flames, death threats?

Sammual

June 4, 2009 11:47:12 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting GW Swicord,
Ranking other folks? Egad, I have a hard enough time with my ambivalence about the karma system (and am glad to see hints that it is out of the criteria for the lottery slots). Plus, there's the 'problem' of folks who often drive me up the wall with some of their typing yet also reliably give me rewarding hmmm... moments. Is that helpful of them or just weird taste in forum typing on my part?

Ranking myself? I actually got a semi-serious chewing out once from a friend who was also my manager because I thought it was stupid to have me try to put numbers to a bunch of sloppy phrases about my "performance" in the past year. I told him I thought that was a manager's job, not mine. I'd briefly forgotten the most important part of manager-employee relations: employees should generally obey. (That story is a good example of why political scientists tend to make bad politicians; I knew better at a theoretical level, but that understanding didn't do squat for my behavior.)

Wow, I am so the same way. I can know that what I am about to do is stupid, but I just absolutely cannot refrain myself from telling someone what a frickin' idiot they are being! And I am absolutely toast as a politician I did run for state legislature once (third party) but I am just a little bit too blunt with people, they want to hear what they want to hear, not the truth...an NO I did not run as a 9/11 :truther"

June 4, 2009 11:47:43 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Well, if they look at who is very active at hte forum, I don't think I really make much of a chance. I post now and then, but lurk a lot. By the time I see a thread, most of the time someone else has already posted a reply close to what my reaction would be. I'm not really someone who just posts to say 'me too' so...

On the other hand, I've bought most games Stardock released the last couple years, so I guess my name will be in there a few times.

I have no idea how many people already placed a pre-order, for Stardock, I hope a lot although it would give us a smaller chance to be invited. Maybe someone should give us a chance to place a few bribes here and there... Hint... Hint...

And if we're not selected, only a few more weeks of patience to get in the beta I guess (hope...)

June 4, 2009 11:51:24 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Sammual,
I had a very interesting discussion yesterday at work about how the developers I work with rate thier own abilities vs how others rate them and this struck me as a good way to get a bit more data without pissing off my co-workers. *grin*

I have been re-reading a lot of the threads that I thought contained a lot of good discusions and came up with a list of about 20 people that I believe contributed to the Elemental discussions often and in a positive manner.  I also have a list of about 50 names that contributed less often.  I was under the impression that the Elemental community was much larger then that.

The people that IMHO contribute the most to this community (In no real order) are;

Spartan

Lansisaurus

Climber

Denryu

KiethLamathe

NTJedi

GW Swicord

Pigeonpigeon

Orleanknight

Tamren

Solam

Annatar11

Darkodinplus

Scoutdog

Legerdemain

Lord Reliant

Psychoak

Luckman

Wintersong

Campaigner

That is the top 20, I feel that I fit in there towards the bottom of the top 20.  After that it gets harder to place people.

Any thoughts, flames, death threats?

Sammual

Thanks for the list - there were a couple of people you listed that I absolutely cannot believe that I left of mine...

June 4, 2009 12:07:02 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I have a gun, so that makes me #1.  Rhyming can be fun!

June 4, 2009 12:41:36 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I have one account where all my purchased games are, but another account where I post on because my member no. is 800,000 =X

June 4, 2009 1:21:32 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Ah, feels like high school all over again.

June 4, 2009 1:40:07 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Xithis,
Ah, feels like high school all over again.

Odd, I don't feel that way.  In high school everything was a popularity contest.  Here I am attempting to get a measure of how much different people contribute.  Due to Denryu's post I have been searching for fenhiro, Ynglaur, CapnWinky, Ron Lugge, kitkun's posts so I can read what I may have missed.

Sammual

June 4, 2009 1:46:32 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It´s been a while since I´m reading news about EWOM, but I´ve pre-ordered yesterday, before the news about alpha release for "the chosen ones". 

Anyway hope is the last to die

June 4, 2009 1:51:20 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting ,
Hey all,

The Elemental team will be 'pre-selecting about two dozen people who have been really helpful in the past from the community to be in' the first Elemental Beta. 

After reading Denryu's post (Below) I wondered, How many active posters do we have?  How would they rank themselves and others? (But more importantly how would they rank me?).

Denryu

So two dozen people that have the inside track +~76 others... hopefully the people that are active on the forums own at least some of the other games - we ALL own GC or GC2 amirite? Are there even 76 active people on the forums? (In the EWOM sections?) I think all of our chances are pretty good...

My question for the forum dwelers is, Who do you rank as the top 24 forum contributers and where do you fall (In or out of the top 24) in your mind?

Sammual

Umm that is cool and all, but I thought all of us who prepurchased the game would get into this first phase of the beta.  At least that is how the website reads...

June 4, 2009 1:57:36 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I don't even have the cash to pre-order right now. ...although if the game was out I'd buy it anyway. (Long story)

June 4, 2009 2:02:42 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Elemental is scheduled to go into public beta by June 2009. Players who pre-order the game will have the option to download beta builds via Impulse™. This enables them to give feedback, suggestions and even begin populating Elemental with their own creations via the integrated modding environment.

http://www.stardock.com/coming_soon/index.asp

Yeah, so I'll be annoyed if people get into this version of testing and all of the preorders don't.  I preorded this game and demigod.  I won't do it the next time if they don't follow through on what they post.

I'm cool if they delay the beta past june because its not ready.  I have no issue with that.  But selecting people based on forum activity is crap, when you post a policy that clearly states you need to preorder and if you do you are in. 

So, either noone should get in or all of the preorders should get in.

Thats my take on it.

June 4, 2009 2:03:28 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Druez,
... Umm that is cool and all, but I thought all of us who prepurchased the game would get into this first phase of the beta.  At least that is how the website reads...

Everyone with a pre-order will have access to the first public beta, but there will also be a limited-participation alpha. The current 25 June date for the alpha makes me suspect that the tentative July date for the full public beta will be later in July rather than earlier.

June 4, 2009 2:11:50 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Take this list with a grain of salt. I had trouble with some of the names, trying to decide who to put in it and who should stay out even when they deserved to be in (24 people limit...). My reasons has been mine and, as human, they might be wrong but I just didn't have the time to read the whole forum to refresh my memory.

Climber
Denryu
Spartan
pigeonpigeon
Szadowsz
landisaurus
Luckmann
NTJedi
Tamren
Ynglaur
GW Swicord
Lord Reliant
vieuxchat
psychoak
Scoutdog
Darkodinplus
Sammual
Nights Edge
Tridus
Annatar11
arstal
Cervomix
Kitkun
Ellestar

June 4, 2009 2:25:56 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Wintersong,
Take this list with a grain of salt. I had trouble with some of the names, trying to decide who to put in it and who should stay out even when they deserved to be in (24 people limit...). My reasons has been mine and, as human, they might be wrong but I just didn't have the time to read the whole forum to refresh my memory.

Climber
Denryu
Spartan
pigeonpigeon
Szadowsz
landisaurus
Luckmann
NTJedi
Tamren
Ynglaur
GW Swicord
Lord Reliant
vieuxchat
psychoak
Scoutdog
Darkodinplus
Sammual
Nights Edge
Tridus
Annatar11
arstal
Cervomix
Kitkun
Ellestar

Sorry, you gotta boot somebody off the island to make room for yourself. You are one of the half-dozen "Chosen Ones" that I would definitely step aside for...I'm not saying it's the boobies, and I am not saying it ISN'T)...

June 4, 2009 3:34:43 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I will not make a list. Mostly because I'd have to make individual comments on everyone and there's people I just don't plain like. My mother always told me that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. It didn't help much, but I'm not a fan of drama (actually, that isn't true - I just hate being a part of the drama).

Also, I don't like the idea of ranking people. Not a fan of popularity contests. Or democracy. But that's beside the point.

Let me just say that if I were to get in and not landisaurus or Sparta, I'd give my ticket up for one of them.

Quoting Zubaz,
No comment.
Jerk.

June 4, 2009 3:45:36 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Denryu,
Sorry, you gotta boot somebody off the island to make room for yourself. You are one of the half-dozen "Chosen Ones" that I would definitely step aside for...I'm not saying it's the boobies, and I am not saying it ISN'T)...
I'm not in my own list because I don't honestly belive that I deserve it. Of course, Stardock can disagree with me any time about it. By the way... are you conscious that it's just an avatar? I mean, a picture. Just making a reality check just in case. I could always change it for a pic that only shows the word: "Boobies"

And yeah, Spartan is one those that in the impossible case of them not being selected, many of us would give them our place.

Hmmm Now thinking about it... Don't we have here the creator of Fall of Heaven II too? Because if he is interested, I don't see why Stardock wouldn't want to have him on boat.

June 4, 2009 3:49:37 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Wintersong,

[...]
Hmmm Now thinking about it... Don't we have here the creator of Fall of Heaven II too? Because if he is interested, I don't see why Stardock wouldn't want to have him on boat.
Yep. Kael is lurking about around here somewhere, too.

June 4, 2009 3:53:05 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting SnallTrippin,
I don't even have the cash to pre-order right now. ...although if the game was out I'd buy it anyway. (Long story)

You can pre-order it, they will charge your credit card only when the game is released. I asked about currency stuff to the sale team at SD and this is the answer : 

"Hello,

The currency conversion will take place the day your order is processed. The rate of exchange will be determined by your financial institution.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Regards,

Stardock Sales Support "

June 4, 2009 4:05:25 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

@ Wintersong - lol yeah, I know you are a guy IRL, I am happily married, 45 years old, and avatar boobies is the only vice I allow myself...   (Yeah RIGHT!)

June 4, 2009 4:40:55 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Druez,
Elemental is scheduled to go into public beta by June 2009. Players who pre-order the game will have the option to download beta builds via Impulse™. This enables them to give feedback, suggestions and even begin populating Elemental with their own creations via the integrated modding environment.

http://www.stardock.com/coming_soon/index.asp

Yeah, so I'll be annoyed if people get into this version of testing and all of the preorders don't.  I preorded this game and demigod.  I won't do it the next time if they don't follow through on what they post.

I'm cool if they delay the beta past june because its not ready.  I have no issue with that.  But selecting people based on forum activity is crap, when you post a policy that clearly states you need to preorder and if you do you are in. 

So, either noone should get in or all of the preorders should get in.

Thats my take on it.

The original plan was beta 0 in June, beta 1 in August, possibly a limited alpha slightly before that. You can see that here: http://forums.elementalgame.com/345203

However, that was before Demigod's launch happened. Quite a few people got pulled over to deal with the issues there, and so things got delayed (delays in software? never heard of that! ). The new plan is to scrap beta 0 entirely. Have the limited alpha in June. Nothing has been said about beta 1, so that seems to still be on track for August. That post is here: http://forums.elementalgame.com/354834

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000296   Page Render Time: