Elemental Alpha Plans

By on June 3, 2009 5:33:13 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Draginol

Join Date 03/2001
+102

As some of you know, the Elemental Beta 0 got nixed due to us needing to throw developers onto Demigod to help GPG and Raknet with the online experience.  The team is starting to migrate back and we’re all glad to be back on Elemental but we did lose some time.

But we are still pushing to have an Alpha build on June 25th to give out.  It’ll be cloth map only (so what you see in the above screenshot won’t be in the alpha series and the betas will look a lot better than what you see above too). 

For the alpha series we’re only going to select around 100 people to be in it.  It’ll be a lottery.  Picture a big hat with players getting for each Stardock game they' have – GalCiv, Sins of a Solar Empire, Demigod who have also pre-ordered Elemental.  The team is also pre-selecting about two dozen people who have been really helpful in the past from the community to be in it as well. 

We’re pretty excited because we plan to do this somewhat differently than other builds.

Locked Post 131 Replies +2
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
June 4, 2009 3:58:22 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Do we have to specifically put our names down?  Or will it simply be everyone who's preordered?

edit: I mean will the lottery be for everyone who's preordered

June 4, 2009 4:14:31 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'd vote for a query selecting the names of all users taking part in the Elemental forum (no Off Topic) and then add to the table lottery values according to the games. After all, preordering the game is a bonus for the lottery.

Nothing was said about Karma. Not that I care, mind you.

June 4, 2009 4:25:41 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

How will the lucky Hundred be notified? Email? Impulse notif? Personnal Message on the board?

June 4, 2009 5:16:48 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Will billing start before the alpha? Because I wager that only those that have pre-ordered will be invited and I haven't pre-ordered yet, not wanting to have my credit card suddently billed. I'd prefer billing to start, and then pre-order.

Quoting Wintersong,
I'd vote for a query selecting the names of all users taking part in the Elemental forum (no Off Topic) and then add to the table lottery values according to the games. After all, preordering the game is a bonus for the lottery.

Nothing was said about Karma. Not that I care, mind you.
I say let's go with karma. Starting from the top.

June 4, 2009 6:48:47 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

From the Sins boards, yes?

June 4, 2009 6:53:50 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Annatar11,

From the Sins boards, yes?
What does it matter to you? You're #4 or such here.

June 4, 2009 7:04:36 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I am? I haven't been posting anywhere other than journals Most of it is from OT.

June 4, 2009 7:22:57 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Hmm... That makes me wonder.

I own GC2:UE, which contains GC2, GC2:DA and GC2:TA.  So does that count as 3 entries, or just 1?

Also, I should register my GC1.

June 4, 2009 7:30:01 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Nice to have a date, I was worried I would have missed it.

June 4, 2009 7:39:57 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Makes me wish I could pre-order....

June 4, 2009 8:02:40 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Do we have to actually sign up somwhere to be in the hat?  If so, then where?

I think I've purchase, all the old Galactic Civs, SOTS, Galactic Civs 2, and Sins.  Does that give me a decent chance?

June 4, 2009 8:03:57 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Since beta 0 is scrapped, is the plan still to open it up for beta 1 in August?

June 4, 2009 8:05:21 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

If they go with karma, they should go with current karma. Not saying anyone is unscrupulous enough to jack up their karma score, but it would be very easy to do.

What am I saying, this is to get into alpha - of course people would jack up their karma score to get in...

June 4, 2009 8:05:55 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Demiansky,
Do we have to actually sign up somwhere to be in the hat?  If so, then where?

I think I've purchase, all the old Galactic Civs, SOTS, Galactic Civs 2, and Sins.  Does that give me a decent chance?

From what I can tell, it looks like any pre-order is in the hat, with better chances based on how many of those other games you have. I haven't seen any kind of sign up.

(Though I did hear that if you wash Frogboy's car, you have a better chance of being in the reserved group. )

June 4, 2009 8:10:11 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Annatar11,
I am? I haven't been posting anywhere other than journals Most of it is from OT.
I know. But unfortunately, if you post in OT from Elemental fora, you still get Karma in the Elemental fora.

Even though it'd enormously benefit you more than me (I have zero karma everywhere but here), I still say that Karma should be merged across the boards.

And quoting fixed.

Quoting Denryu,
If they go with karma, they should go with current karma. Not saying anyone is unscrupulous enough to jack up their karma score, [...]

*cough*

June 4, 2009 8:29:05 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Denryu,
If they go with karma, they should go with current karma. Not saying anyone is unscrupulous enough to jack up their karma score, but it would be very easy to do.

What am I saying, this is to get into alpha - of course people would jack up their karma score to get in...
The plan of some people since the begining anyways.

The way Frogboy said about selecting a dozen of proven individuals plus lottery lot is fair enough. A deficient system like Karma shouldn't be used. Obviously, people with high karma would tend to disagree but considering that in my case a high or low Karma isn't going to affect anyways my chances of getting into the alpha... I don't care.

June 4, 2009 8:37:19 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Winter, all of your avatars have boobs, if that doesn't put you on the inside track with a bunch of computer geeks, nothing will.

June 4, 2009 8:41:41 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Obviously, people with high karma would tend to disagree

I wouldn't Karma doesn't say much since there really isn't any karma moderation or policy for how it should be awarded. I've got karma just for having my avatar, which is pretty pointless

June 4, 2009 8:44:01 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Well, I´ve just pre-ordered my Elemental yesterday! Let´s wait and see who are the lucky ones. Im really excited about this game.

June 4, 2009 8:44:10 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

C'mon, a thumbnail?  Really?  Please post something larger!  In fact, a whole media section full of new screenies would be verrrry welcome.  I'm dyin' ova here.  

June 4, 2009 9:06:15 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Denryu,
Winter, all of your avatars have boobs, if that doesn't put you on the inside track with a bunch of computer geeks, nothing will.
If I were given an alpha spot becuase of the boobs of an avatar, I'd feel offended. And for the record, my first avatar in this forum didn't have boobs... unless Frogboy has boobs. Because I used and avatar of him (Brad) impersonating a MoM character.

The second one had one amazon with two and showed one but the dragon with her didn't.

The third one was my Gal Civ II custom civ avatar and this last one is in honor of Demigod (and seriously, she summons yetis!! And rides a tiger!!!!).

June 4, 2009 9:26:31 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Annatar11,
I wouldn't Karma doesn't say much since there really isn't any karma moderation or policy for how it should be awarded. I've got karma just for having my avatar, which is pretty pointless
Why can't I get karma for my avatar? It's kickass.
Quoting Wintersong,

The plan of some people since the begining anyways.
The way Frogboy said about selecting a dozen of proven individuals plus lottery lot is fair enough. A deficient system like Karma shouldn't be used. Obviously, people with high karma would tend to disagree but considering that in my case a high or low Karma isn't going to affect anyways my chances of getting into the alpha... I don't care.

Luddite! Reactionary! Leave way for the revolution!

Quoting Denryu,
I liked the old boobs better. And I can't even remember what it was.
Quoting NelsMonsterX,
C'mon, a thumbnail?  Really?  Please post something larger!  In fact, a whole media section full of new screenies would be verrrry welcome.  I'm dyin' ova here.
Yeah. I can't make things out in that image. 

I think it's deliberate, to make us go "What the hell is that thing?".

June 4, 2009 9:29:37 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Why can't I get karma for my avatar? It's kickass.

'Cause you stole it from Ron?

June 4, 2009 9:45:52 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I only have Galciv2 and the expansions. So my chances are limited but hey you never know.

But one thing is cool, the start of the adventure is upon us. This is way cool!!!!

June 4, 2009 10:11:44 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Galciv 2
Galciv 2 DA
Galciv 2 TA
SINS
SINS Entrenchment
Demigod
Corporate machine
Political machine
Lightweight Ninja

And a few more games bought over TEN and Impluse.  I think i'm in good shape.  I don't like my chances for getting pre-selected but My random chances should be good.

Sammual

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000203   Page Render Time: