Triumphs

By on March 30, 2009 10:52:31 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Ynglaur

Join Date 05/2006
+10

Warning: slightly frivolous idea ahead

It might be fun to allow your armies and/or generals a "Triumph" if they succeed in some large feat: defeating an invading army, conquering another kingdom/empire, completing a quest, or even succeeding in some great act of diplomacy.  It might be cool to see your Army of Light/Army of Doom marching/tramping down the city streets bedecked with flowers/heads of their enemies.

Maybe throw in some interesting costs and bonuses, to boot: costs x gold, provides temporary increase of y% to morale for the city and participating units.  If foreign diplomats are in the city their kingdom/empire will hold yours in greater awe.

Locked Post 15 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
March 30, 2009 12:16:53 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I also enjoy the feature of being able to rename units.  This relates to Ynflaur's suggestion in an offhand way. 

Over the decades I have gotten into the habit of decorating units and armies which perform unusual deeds.  Perhaps it is a ' after their name for participating in a successful campaign, a * for turning the tide of a major battle, or simply renaming the unit from '12th Infantry' to 'Helsinki Guards' for conquoring an enemy capital.

March 30, 2009 12:57:22 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

are you suggesting like a victory animation or something?   I mean just having the option to spend a little extra gold to get a morale boost really isn't frivolous.   That isn't bad actually.   Sounds like it would meke it hard to steam roll though (for good or for worse) since a single defensive victory could be used to boost further defences.

March 30, 2009 2:28:34 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I think not only an animation, but having to move your units to a city in which to conduct a triumph would be required.  You have to pull the army out of the field, but the army and city (nation, maybe?) gets a boost.  The cost wouldn't just be gold, per se, but could be opportunity cost as well.  Some nations may also want to parade prisoners, or execute them, as part of the triumph (opportunity cost of lost ransom, perhaps?).

I thinkthere are losts of ways for this to play out.

March 30, 2009 5:55:10 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I strongly hope there is an "Achievements" system as their is in SOASE.

GO SPACE PONIES!

March 30, 2009 7:06:47 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Great idea! And it wold be very nice if some icon in this forum represents fullfiled achievments. If the number of achievments is let us say 100, the icon would be 10x10 square, where specific pixel(s) represent fulfiled achievments.

March 30, 2009 11:34:00 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I vote for the following types of achievement:

"This unit has lost count of the number of <whatevers> it has slain.  It seems it can't go out for a casual afternoon stroll without stepping on <whatevers> and slaying a dozen of the things."

"Enemy generals vie for the privilege to fight this general - he's lost so many times, they figure they can't lose."

"This general is soft and lazy, preferring the easy life of the military camp to the hard toil of the march."

"This general has marched his men so many leagues, he's known as the Mule by the men."

April 1, 2009 10:37:17 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I would suggest such achievments:

- peace lover - winns the game without being at war with anyone (neutral creatures and cities do not count)

- destroyer of the empires - winns the game by killing all opponents

- Famine, the third rider of apocalypse - loses some specific amount of population due to starvation

April 1, 2009 1:01:05 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'd be a bit more interested in being able to build monuments in my population centers and put place names on the main map to reflect something like the victory of one grand army over another. But then I don't have any idea how complex a true city could be in the game--if they are indeed much more interesting than colonies in GC2, it could be great fun and/or an interesting strategic choice to be able to spend money throwing a party after a military (or even nonmilitary) milestone.

p.s. I don't think the idea's particularly frivolous at all.

April 1, 2009 1:29:39 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I like the ideas of triumpths and monuments. There's nothing like celebrating one's great victory with a marker on the world map and a grand parade through your capital city, boosting morale, diplomatic influence, and trade. (your people feel more comfortable with going abroad to trade, seeing as your mighty armies can clearly crush any threat to their safety) I think the defensive equivalent could be interesting, as well. Win enough defenseive battles at a given location and it becomes regarded as the impenetrable bastion of your empire's defense. This might weaken the morale of attackers, boost the morale of defenders, or provide any number of other interesting bonuses. Lose that city or fortress, though, and the entire country is demoralized while your enemies gain a great morale boost and maybe go home for a triumphal parade of their own, further boositng their morale and humiliating your empire in the eyes of the world.

April 1, 2009 1:33:11 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Very cool idea - I like the double-edged sword design approach.

April 27, 2009 9:50:35 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting GW Swicord,
I'd be a bit more interested in being able to build monuments in my population centers and put place names on the main map to reflect something like the victory of one grand army over another. But then I don't have any idea how complex a true city could be in the game--if they are indeed much more interesting than colonies in GC2, it could be great fun and/or an interesting strategic choice to be able to spend money throwing a party after a military (or even nonmilitary) milestone.

p.s. I don't think the idea's particularly frivolous at all.

A monument at the site would be cool too

April 27, 2009 12:45:51 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

A Monument would seem to indicate a permanent state of affairs. What happens if you win a big battle, raise a Monument, only to be forced to give up that same territory later on. Any Victory/Battle Monument would then be rather Moot...

Added to the Persistant side of the game would be very cool though.

April 27, 2009 12:54:18 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

My main concern is that any kind of cutscene-like Triumph will get old fast. It's a cinematic you watch once and then proceed to skip it all the time. But from thematic point of view, it's ok.

I liked MoM animations for researching a new spell etc. They were short enough that you'd like to see them once in a while.

April 27, 2009 12:54:55 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting John Hughes,
A Monument would seem to indicate a permanent state of affairs. What happens if you win a big battle, raise a Monument, only to be forced to give up that same territory later on. Any Victory/Battle Monument would then be rather Moot... 

Not if Brad can teach the AIs to hold a proper grudge. I'd certainly be double-ticked if Those Despicable Folks undid all my hard work in freeing some locals from their oppression and salted the wound by tearing down our fine monument. If I were playing on the Fallen side and something like that happened, I'd want the next monument built from their foolish bones.

April 27, 2009 3:12:38 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting GW Swicord,

Not if Brad can teach the AIs to hold a proper grudge. I'd certainly be double-ticked if Those Despicable Folks undid all my hard work in freeing some locals from their oppression and salted the wound by tearing down our fine monument. If I were playing on the Fallen side and something like that happened, I'd want the next monument built from their foolish bones.

Quoting keithLamothe,
Flying mountain...

Move over opponent capital...

Neglect to pay upkeep cost on flying enchantment...

like this?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000500   Page Render Time: