Join Date 07/2006
+15

Locked Post 43 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 11, 2009 7:24:26 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Sorry no back-story as of late. I just made it because i was bored.

February 11, 2009 7:53:15 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

What's this supposed to be

February 11, 2009 8:06:15 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

huh... this looks like a map of North America, but with different colors.   Most of the boundries are even still the same.

February 11, 2009 8:07:26 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting landisaurus,
huh... this looks like a map of North America, but with different colors.   Most of the boundries are even still the same.

Yes I know it's North America but why are all the countries so messed up.

February 11, 2009 8:08:37 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Boredom is great for creating things, but for what purpose?  (there is an elemental contest, btw, that if you made this map feature the factions of elemental you might be able to use as a submittion to win a free shirt)

I wasn't answering your question Emperor_seth, I was adding my own comment.

February 11, 2009 8:10:44 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

^ I understand.

February 11, 2009 8:18:09 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

some of it makes sense.

til he got old & sick, castro sorta resembled more than a few csa generals.

February 11, 2009 8:18:17 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting Emperor_Seth,
What's this supposed to be

Just what it looks like: a map of North America sliced into countries I made up.

BTW, what do you guys think of my new avatar?

February 11, 2009 8:32:28 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Umm, k...

February 11, 2009 8:47:38 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think if you redefined the borders it would be better.  Logically, different countries wouldn't have the same boarders as the states in the US.  Rivers and such (like between IL and missouri/kentuky) are still going to exist most likely, but ones that are set on arbitrary longitute/latitude lines wouldn't exist (like between US and canada or between new york and pennsylvania)   so I think you should set different boarders in general.  Pull out a real map and find where new major rivers (like the missouri river) that would otherwise become a boarder if it wasn't arranged by some congress back in the day.  Like almost all of the WEST US doesn't make sense from any kind of realistic point of view if they are going to be new countries, whether by war or otherwise.

you actually did the opposite, you created new boundries that didn't make sense like going over the mississipi and creating a new boarder just beyond it.  Look up in canada, explain to me how they would divide countries at an angle that isn't a river or some other physical formation.

Also, we have a lot of republics here.  Maybe that is the way of the future, it just seems strange that many different factions would all be republics.   (why would california become a republic.  That doesn't seem right, I don't think any kind of ruling would pass among only califonians to allow for a replublic to be put in place.  They hate having representitives speak for them, power to the people! )

I hope you wanted feedback on your map...   because that is what posting it here without much other info means to me.

your new avatar is great, except it seems a little heavy on the right side.  (like the left side has a white border, but the upper right corner does not)

February 11, 2009 9:31:14 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Like almost all of the WEST US doesn't make sense from any kind of realistic point of view if they are going to be new countries, whether by war or otherwise

I just made this map becuase I was bored. I wasn't aiming for plausability or realism.

Also, each state is not a different country. There are different unions on my map (there's a legend in the lower-left corner telling what each color represents), thus the state bouneries remaining basically unchanged.

But you're right, I think the new nations would redraw their state bounderies, or just consolidate all the states they controlled into one country, depending their government system.

Sorry if I sounded sarcastic; I wasn't trying to be. I just wanted to get my point across.

February 11, 2009 11:26:19 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

United Artic Republic got the shaft in that map...

February 12, 2009 8:14:35 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

What The? Texas is Jeferson? what the Heck is Jeferson...

February 12, 2009 11:28:59 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Kinda reminds me of the Nazi eagle, on a swastika, not that i think that was your intent.

February 13, 2009 3:09:06 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

ot that i think that was your intent.

remapping the world could be a clue.

February 13, 2009 3:29:28 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting Piznit,
United Artic Republic got the shaft in that map...

Maybe not, what with the melting glaciers and 'global warming'. Greenland may actually become more green than white.

As for the remapping of the U.S.A. into different countries - with what the Obama administration is trying to do, you never know. This country is ripening for a second revolution that could produce exactly that.

February 13, 2009 3:31:42 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Neilo,

Kinda reminds me of the Nazi eagle, on a swastika, not that i think that was your intent.

Exactly what i was thinking, scary isnt it ? you must be a ww2 buff as well...

February 13, 2009 9:12:44 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

you must be a ww2 buff as well...

Well, yes and no: I know the battles, generals, and events that shaped it, but I'm more intrested in the "black book" secret weapons (ME-262 and the '"bat bomb" pwn all!) than the nitty-gritty of the war.

Oh, and if anyone can think of a backstory for my map, please share it with me. I could get back into my writing mojo with some good ol' alternate history.

And, despite the eerie similarity of my avatar, no reference to the Nazis was intended. Nazis BAD! 

February 13, 2009 9:15:48 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Maybe not, what with the melting glaciers and 'global warming'. Greenland may actually become more green than white.

Not to mention Alaska's oil reserves, and that the United Arctic Republic (perhaps I should re-name it?) has a Pacific and an Atlantic coast.

February 13, 2009 11:36:24 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Well, yes and no: I know the battles, generals, and events that shaped it, but I'm more intrested in the "black book" secret weapons (ME-262 and the '"bat bomb" pwn all!) than the nitty-gritty of the war.

Oh, and if anyone can think of a backstory for my map, please share it with me. I could get back into my writing mojo with some good ol' alternate history.

And, despite the eerie similarity of my avatar, no reference to the Nazis was intended. Nazis BAD!

D'oh! total stupid attack here; thought you were talking to me.........

February 14, 2009 1:41:22 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Exactly what i was thinking, scary isnt it ? you must be a ww2 buff as well...

Uhmm, i'll answer under the assumtion that was for me, not that you cant answer as well GH.

But yes, i love history and in particular WWII and the Great War. I especailly like the history of the Kriegsmarine and the Luftwaffe. Untill 41-42 the allies in Europe were reactionary to those two arms so i enjoy looking into them in great detail.

The Pacific theatre of 41-45 is good too.

Just reading a book at the moment on the Linebacker raids in the Vietnam War. Quite good so far, and eye opening.

But that avatar certainly would not have looked out of place hanging above a hall in Munich. Just replace the Earth with the Nazi symbol.

February 14, 2009 11:56:08 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yep, and they were also terribly good at using art for propaganda. Those old SS uniform designs are popular with the BDSM crowd for more reasons than the real outfit's rep for torture. And Neilo's right about how easy it would be to tweak that to be rally-ready for the old facist bastards. However, the Romans and others claimed the eagle and even used it in a roughly similar posture (I think the legion standards are where the Nazi artists got their idea).

On a related point, I really like the alternate history genre, but my inner authoritarian wants them limited to folks who've already read plenty of 'non-fiction' history on the given period (the shudder quotes are because Gore Vidal is one of my favorite historians, despite how much the PhD crowd hate hearing him described that way).

February 14, 2009 1:08:38 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting GW Swicord,

On a related point, I really like the alternate history genre, but my inner authoritarian wants them limited to folks who've already read plenty of 'non-fiction' history on the given period (the shudder quotes are because Gore Vidal is one of my favorite historians, despite how much the PhD crowd hate hearing him described that way).

History is but fiction which fits what is known... or thought to be known at least. Not to mention, who needs to read history when one can experience it first hand through a good RTS? I learned alot from Empire Earth as a kid.

That map is nice, but I agree that more borders need to be disolved. You added quite a few borders, but did not really remove any.

February 14, 2009 1:49:01 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting alway,
History is but fiction which fits what is known... or thought to be known at least. Not to mention, who needs to read history when one can experience it first hand through a good RTS? ...

I'm a Gerontocrat and a former civics instructor. You need to read history steadily because there's far more of it than you'll ever have time to read (unless you luck into an immortality tech), and the more you know about yesterday the better you can understand today and plan for tomorrow.

... must ... fight ... urge ... scoff ... RTS ... history?

Phew. Fought that off, mostly.

February 14, 2009 5:33:22 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

LOL!

No RTS could ever match the vast library's on the topic nor a good few hours watching the History Channel.

But if that is what piqued your interest in history, then thats fine by me.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000843   Page Render Time: