Wanted - Turn-Based RPG

By on January 24, 2009 10:26:57 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Drengin

Join Date 09/2003
+17

Hi i need your help as i am looking for a good turn-based RPG.

Do any of you know of any that are really good examples of this please?

Thanks in advance

Drengin

Locked Post 54 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
January 24, 2009 10:51:55 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm not sure if it would be an RPG or not, but Shining Force (particularly 2) and Fire Emblem would both qualify, although they're both console games.

I'd be interested in knowing some more modern PC options.

January 24, 2009 11:24:42 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

try King's bounty the legend, it is like Heroes of Might and Magic.

January 24, 2009 11:34:42 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

The first 2 Fallout games come to mind, and I believe you can buy them for a mere $5.99 each at Good Old Games (www.gog.com). If you decide to get them though, I'd strongly suggest playing them in order. Not so much because of needing to know what happened in the first one to enjoy the second, but because while they are similar, the second game is quite a bit more polished in various areas, which makes the lack of some polish in the first one all the more obvious. Both games are great though, and I recommend them heartily.

The Jagged Alliance games comes to mind as well, although they are more strategy games with a dose of RPG in them.

Baldur's Gate 2 is sort of turn based. You can pause whenever you want to in order to issue commands, and you can also set it to auto-pause after every action in combat, making it pretty much turn based. Knights of the Old Republic is also semi-turn based by using pause functions.

Space Rangers 2, which you can get on Impulse, has RPG elements, but not sure if that qualifies since you didn't say much about what sort of RPG you are after, other than that it should be turn based.

I suppose a lot of JRPGs that you find on consoles would be considered turn based or semi-turn based, like the Final Fantasy series (X is fully turn based). Vagrant Story for Playstation 1 is a good one, Suikoden II is another good one I've played. If you meant more in the vein of Strategy RPGs, then I guess some titles to check out would be Fire Emblem, Final Fantasy Tactics, Ogre Battle, Disgea, the Front Mission series, Vandal Hearts and probably many more I'm forgetting.

January 24, 2009 3:55:17 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Check Atlantica Online!

January 24, 2009 4:08:15 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting Struyk,
Check Atlantica Online!

No.

I don't believe an MMO was requested, either.

January 24, 2009 5:35:29 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Don't know if it's still available anywhere, but the Wizardry series comes to mind.

Also the Exile/Avernum series and most other games by that company.

Fallout of course is a great one.  Jagged Alliance 2 is more tactical but does have a strong RPG element and you can get all the games in that series for very cheap from gog as well, puls the modding community is particularly strong even years after release.  (partly because the company released the game's source code)

January 24, 2009 5:42:00 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Kings Bounty! Kings Bounty! One of the best games last year.

January 24, 2009 6:00:19 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Thanks for the ideas. Please keep them coming

January 24, 2009 6:12:02 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I liked Might and Magic, if you want go way back.

Also the Disgaea games; I know of Cursed Memories for PS2 and Absence of Justice for PS3.  There are probably more.

I think Temple of Elemental Evil was turn-based.  Very buggy, but I thought the combat was reasonably well-done.

January 24, 2009 6:47:08 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Temple of Elemental Evil is a turn-based game, yes. If you get the Circle of Eight mod for it, the game's very very good. If not... buggy mess is being generous.

January 24, 2009 7:11:32 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Lord Reliant,
I'm not sure if it would be an RPG or not, but Shining Force (particularly 2) and Fire Emblem would both qualify, although they're both console games.

I'd be interested in knowing some more modern PC options.

Fire Emblem is a must. The ones that they put on the GBA are good, I'm not much of a fan of the gamecube/wii ones.

Final Fantasy Tactics is good too.

January 24, 2009 7:46:18 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

never forget Advance Wars for the GBA and DS

January 24, 2009 8:18:34 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Avernum is great, its actually a remake of an older game called Exile. The company that makes it has a long history of kickass RPGs, all of them with good demos so you can try them out. I highly reccomend Nethergate and Geneforge as well.

January 24, 2009 8:37:29 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

If you like Jagged Alliance, check out X-COM. It's a classic, and while the graphics are old and definitely dated, the gameplay has yet to be surpassed in it's genre. It's semi-turn based, tactical squad strategy with moderate RPG elements thrown in to the progression of your soldiers.

For a turn based RPG I'd recommend NPPAngband. The game revolves around exploring a 100-level dungeon, in which the player seeks to amass enough power and equipment to ultimately defeat Morgoth. A new level is randomly generated each time the player changes levels, which gives Angband great replay value: no two games are the same. It is text based (meaning you view characters/letters as monsters that you fight).

Download Link

Further description of Angband (on which NPPAngband is based) from Wikipedia: Angband is a dungeon-crawling roguelike computer game derived from Umoria. It is based on the writings of J. R. R. Tolkien, in which Angband is the fortress of Morgoth.

Though stylistically quite different, the gameplay of Angband is frequently compared to NetHack. Angband gameplay is combat and tactics based, with inventory management as important aspect of gameplay, as opposed to NetHack's extensive application of hard-coded special puzzles. NetHack is also a much shorter game, with playtimes measured in hours or possibly days; Angband games often in weeks.

January 24, 2009 10:36:50 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Ye olde "Gold Box" D&D games? Included the original Pool of Radiance, the original Neverwinter Nights and the Dragonlance series, among others.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_Box

Highly recommended... though they're from the late 80s to very early 90s. You didn't specify a timeframe.

January 25, 2009 8:58:02 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Those old AD&D Goldbaox games run at 320 x 200 resolution, so you need a monitor that goes that low, or, you get a screen that is slpit in the middle vertically and 2 of the same. Been there. Done that.

January 25, 2009 9:08:27 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

there is an indie squad based rpg in the works called Kenshi, though i'm not completely sure if it's turn based or not... but it's worth keeping an eye on

Kenshi

January 25, 2009 9:54:57 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Sarissi,
Those old AD&D Goldbaox games run at 320 x 200 resolution, so you need a monitor that goes that low, or, you get a screen that is slpit in the middle vertically and 2 of the same. Been there. Done that.
DOSBox?

January 25, 2009 6:35:21 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Why not play the mother of all Western RPG's? Try one of the Neverwinter Nights games. I prefer number 2 over number one. The problem with both of them is that ally AI is a bit crappy, but with the recent patches it's seems more polished.

The game follows the D&D mechanics, so it's a bit turn based. What's great about them is that there is a lot of customisation with your character, an incredible storyline plus you can take your character online as well! There is also the Adventure toolset that allows you to create your own adventures and share them online. It's an excellent RPG game with moral choices to be made along the way as well. There is a bit of replay as well because there is so many classes in the game, including moral choices, you want to experience the storyline in several different ways as well with several different avatars of your creation.

I'd highly recommend it, even if your not a fan of D&D. It's only fun for those that enjoy story and an involving RPG game.

January 25, 2009 7:12:40 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I don't want to rain on any particular parades, but the OP makes me want to speak up for the folks who love(d) table-based RPGs and believe that no computer game to date actually deserves the genre name. IMO, the fundamental characteristic of a good RPG is that a specific person is responsible for overall plot formatting and judgement calls about any particularly rules-heavy moment. Computer games are just too far behind the curve so far, and I've been waiting for my petaflops since Rudy Rucker taught me the term back in the early 1980s.

January 25, 2009 10:14:21 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

no computer game to date actually deserves the genre name.

I disagree.  I think that some deserve the name, but much less than given it.   For example, Daggerfall I felt was as close to a table-top RPG as could be done in 1996.   So I think it deserves the title, though you may want to add "computer RPG" rather than "table-top RPG".   Its like if my home-made cream tastes great, and it makes my cream soda taste like crap.   can we not call the cream soda 'cream' flavor?

Just because A is very right, doesn't mean that B is wrong.  

Computer games are just too far behind the curve so far, and I've been waiting for my petaflops since Rudy Rucker taught me the term back in the early 1980s.

I've been waiting for my exaflops since the early 1990's.   Zetaflops in the early 2000's since I learned it in my computer class.   And now I await my yottaflops ever since about 5 min ago when I looked to see if zeta was still the largest pre-fix. 

January 26, 2009 12:26:22 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

EXILE I, II, II as well as Blades of Exiles..

Recommend Exile III the ruined world, downloadable off spiderweb's website!

In my 10 years of rpg life (and to tell you I touched 1st edition D&D (my dads which I inherited ) all the wya up to todays 4th edition (BEAUTIFUL)!

EXILE III is the MOST PERFECT RPG YOU CAN FIND!!!

EPICCCCCC qampaign (meaning at least 50 hours of gaming! without counting the scenario editor to make your own world). Varies classes and races are awesome!

Check it out!

January 26, 2009 6:00:27 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Prior to the (horribly buggy) Temple of Elemental Evil the (horribly buggy) Dark Sun games represented the pinnacle of turn-based combat. Unlike ToEE the Dark Sun gameplay outside of combat was actually interesting too.

January 26, 2009 10:44:22 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The first 2 Fallout games come to mind, and I believe you can buy them for a mere $5.99 each at Good Old Games (www.gog.com). If you decide to get them though, I'd strongly suggest playing them in order. Not so much because of needing to know what happened in the first one to enjoy the second, but because while they are similar, the second game is quite a bit more polished in various areas, which makes the lack of some polish in the first one all the more obvious. Both games are great though, and I recommend them heartily.

In addition, both games have user-made patches which includes a high-resolution patch so you don't have to look at it in 640x480. Everything else is the same (colors, textures, etc) but playing it in higher resolution is much, much easier on the eyes. The GOG forums for these games should have a sticky that includes all the mods/patches and download links.

January 26, 2009 11:39:27 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting redrevolution129,
never forget Advance Wars for the GBA and DS

That's not an RPG. It's TBS (and a blatant Battle Isle ripoff to boot).

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001203   Page Render Time: