Players that wish said cavalry/creature and LOUD people

By on December 5, 2008 4:21:25 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

FlyGuy

Join Date 02/2008
+7

I almost stand up against Bear cavalry in this game. Personaly, I have no dissafection for anyone that want it but I have for the way that was used to propose it. When I saw this suggestion for the first time it seemed to me one like many others like it should be; or should it be better called just a wish since it does not aim for the game desenvolment? But anyway, I thought that was just ok.

It's ok that someone create a topic and puts on the title: "Please, have chocobos in this game ". He is probably personaly fisured by chocobos and would like that in the game, then he makes a topic to tell it and see other people reactions and if they would also like Chocobos. He say how he feels that is cool, players give theirs and that should be the end of it. At least he is sincere, direct and isn't manipulative.

But that is not what a couple of guys that want Bear cavalry in this game choosed to do. They have been trying to disseminate it throughout the forum in a political way. It have gone so far has to make public Avatars editing the official image of a mounted soldier, to mount a Bear instead. That could be ok if it was edited to mount other more creatures, but it was only the Bear and variations of Bears, because the motive of that is to promote more the Bear mount image and they are still doing that(and trying to convince others to want it). It's being boring to even read 'Bear' around here.

I'll be short about this. My protest is that because someone or a couple or whatever  "loudly" asks for what they want, especially regarding something that has nothing to do with the game desenvolment, they should not be overheared if not even heared at all.

It should be the contrary even, has the Chocobo player was much more polite in trying to have what he wants. Its a huge mistake to support the "loud" over the more polite. Actualy many people are yet more polite to never or continualy propose particular issues like this, has obvious, you can find people fond of Linch Kings, Hydras, Mounted Dragons, Pegasi, Elves, Orcs, Unicorns, Hobbits and they will not stress it since they know probably more than a million other players that also disire things will be playing the same game and because there is no place for this.

[I beg developers if they ever think to listen about objects that players want, to please make a offical section, or even a topic or even yet a poll with many creatures so everyone can participate. Just please don't hear those and think the others don't have particular wishes they would want, because many have; Its just that they understand how trivial it is for the conjuncture, but would gladly say so if it was asked or if they had a specific place for it.]

Now pretentious assumed discussion topics get opened because of this:

(Why pretentious? Because I and most that could, didn't participate on this for it to ever be thought this way. But is what a couple of guys are making to sound like)

"Bear Calvary is to EoM as Pink Space Ponies is to SoaSE?"

And the guys that scream what they want, create this illusion:

Thankfully, the Pink Space Ponies "thing" from Sins of a Solar Empire hasn't carried over to Elemental.  However, as I've been reading through the forums, I see more and more references to bear cavalry (and not just from one person).  So, at least for now it seems like the Bear Cavalry is the new, official mascot of Elemental.  Granted, the Beta hasn't even begun yet, but that's only a matter of time.

Growl?

It was first brought up as a random suggestion in a "what units do you want to see in elemental" thread.

It stayed because I think everobody deep inside just wants to ride a bear.  Just like everybody wants to be an astronaught, they also want to ride a bear.

More very pretentious stuff. No, it stayed, because of what I said in "[]" above and not everybody have the time or the will to keep spreading what they want over and over.

To the guy that wrote that: That is so false, that many games like MMORPG's mounts for exemple do not feature Bears (and have many types) and there even isn't a sighlty strong wish for it, it is just happening in this forum. Why exacly so? That's the motive I did this. That might be what you and a few strongly like, and probably you and a couple more are just the kind of 'blind follower' type. It came just random, It stayed on you because you gave to much attention to what some people - that want it so much - said a lot, has they wanted to.

There never happened a democratic evaluation has of what creature (mount or not) or unit is prefered within players, not to count many others are still to come.

I even feel against Bear cavalry in this game, not because I don't like bears, but because of the atittude they took  towards it; how loudly have some been proposing it. I just beg developers to make it democratic (like when what extra mount to add or something) if you ever want to listen to something like that, don't take this couple of guys attitude has speaking for the utmost wish of many, thats not the case.

Locked Post 80 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
December 5, 2008 4:53:11 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

You doth protest too much, methinks.

-------------

Seriously, even I as an avid and public known enemy of bear cavalary (Pegasus Knights go ) knows this is just a running joke. Like the pink space ponies in Sins.

And speaking of pretentious: Isn't it pretentious to just make a thread to protest against something other people talk about and then even to petition the devs not to listen to them?

December 5, 2008 5:04:42 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Vandenburg,

And speaking of pretentious: Isn't it pretentious to just make a thread to protest against something other people talk about and then even to petition the devs not to listen to them?

How is that it? If you say I'm pretentious to believe they would take it, yes I think it could happen since some players joined that, and I don't think it would be fair just because some have the time and are unbounded to keep spreading it. I'm just trying to call their attention for it, for they look for a democratic way if they ever need to choose a mount or even better just go with what they feel better.

Also Its not a joke, threads in Suggestion section almost aimed to that have been made, suggesting even gameplay changes for that matter. So is it a bad one?

December 5, 2008 5:15:39 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I think that he just fears that one element of the game will be decided just because of some loud people. Not per se bad (the decission of that game element, i mean), but a problem if that element is not truly good for the game. The spirit of the first post is good but not having heard from Stardock about it, not sure there should be too much to worry about bear cavalry, frog cavalry or pokemons. They will decide if bear cavalry must be in the game if it truly means something for the game. If they were to add anything just because of loud people, they would be forced to add anything (Pegasus Knights, just to mention one ).

December 5, 2008 5:43:09 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'M NOT LOUD!
- F*CK YOU!

Seriously though, I find it offensive that you call my quite well articulated suggestion a "wish" based on "does not aim for the game desenvolment" - especially since desenvolment is not a word that I know of! I really did try to figure out what you meant, but zat, squat, nada showed up on any spell checks and dictionary.com will not stand for it(!) (My Grammarführer slapped me for insinuating it was a real word!). Then you use words like "heared" and "overheared", and I slap my forehead in facepalmness. Of course, this is just starting to become a lengthy comment at your lack of spellcheck and has nothing to do with your argument (which I have a hard time understanding, since I don't know the words you're using).

"There never happened a democratic evaluation has of what creature (mount or not) or unit is prefered within players, not to count many others are still to come." ; "I just beg developers to make it democratic (like when what extra mount to add or something) if you ever want to listen to something like that, don't take this couple of guys attitude has speaking for the utmost wish of many, thats not the case."

I loathe democracy, in all it's decrepit feebleness, it's multitude of millions fumbling in the dark for a light switch someone forgot to build in. Ultimately, bear cavalry was one suggestion-in-a-suggestion (that of multiple regular mounts) that I picked up on, and it became a running gag or in-house meme.

So in conclusion:

1. Chill out.
  2. Have a beer.
  3. Grow up.
  4. Have another beer.
  5. Grow a funny-bone.
  6. Have a beer.
  7. Kill all filthy horses.
  8. Stop being a pretentious stuff-wad.
  9. Have a third fourth beer.
  10. You're wrong.
  11. Have a beer.
  12. Stop being wrong and be awesome instead.
  13. Give those 2 karma back.
  14. Vandenburg Rocks.
  15. Vandenburg needs to be brainwashed.
  16. I have candy.
  17. You want some? It's good.
  18. This list is getting long.
  19. DON'T LISTEN TO HIM! HE'S HYSTERICAL!
  20. And in conclusion of the conclusion, have a bear.

Ultimately, the decision is and will be up to the devs. It's not a democratic process (thank god). The Bear Cavalry Crusaders have never been loudmouthed or tried to oppress differing opinion, but this Bearomancer feels that you're incredibly pretentious to create a whole new thread just to oppose a running gag. Attention whore much?

And if you don't oppose the idea, why even start a 'conflict' when there isn't one? When we start nailing filthy, unclean, possibly mutated, horse-lovers to crosses and chant in gatherings around swastikas and pentagrams, I could see your point, but at present, there really isn't one.

What the red/green color coding is for? Nothing. I just like colors.

BEAR CAVALRY!

December 5, 2008 5:49:00 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Wintersong,
I think that he just fears that one element of the game will be decided just because of some loud people. Not per se bad (the decission of that game element, i mean), but a problem if that element is not truly good for the game. The spirit of the first post is good but not having heard from Stardock about it, not sure there should be too much to worry about bear cavalry, frog cavalry or pokemons. They will decide if bear cavalry must be in the game if it truly means something for the game. If they were to add anything just because of loud people, they would be forced to add anything (Pegasus Knights, just to mention one ).

Thats basicaly it. I know StarDock hear the players and all, and that they can help improve it in the Beta and even add things (If that is very much in the context I hope) but that players that began this have been using of an inflate political attitude towards that flexibility now. I don't know how or if they take that this way, but I'm saying has a neutral player apart from that. If players can choose lets always be fair with it. If someone, gather some to join that and keep doing campaign about it would still represent nothing close to something significant. But they would just talk more than the others almost has like really doing a campaign about it. I don't understand their flexibility to much but I hope there are big restrictions for it or at least they use of some democratic dealing. Do not support this, it do not feel good. Let this kind of thing more clear to players please, make maybe a note about it, I'm saying this because I do like Stardock.

I feel like those players are almost talking for me and others, which is not it. "Everybody needs a Bear" here and there every day.

December 5, 2008 5:58:45 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Dear Luckmann,

you choice of colors makes me cry blood tears. Please, refrain from using some of them, like green, so i can read what you write. Also, red and green? Some people cannot distinguish them, defeating the purpose of using colors.

Thank you and have a good day.

December 5, 2008 6:09:54 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Wintersong,
Dear Luckmann,

you choice of colors makes me cry blood tears. Please, refrain from using some of them, like green, so i can read what you write. Also, red and green? Some people cannot distinguish them, defeating the purpose of using colors.

Thank you and have a good day.

There's a difference between red and green?
OH MY GOD, I'M(color-)BLIND!

Quoting FlyGuy7,
[...]
I feel like those players are almost talking for me and others, which is not it. "Everybody needs a Bear" here and there every day.
Everybody does need a bear. Here, have a bear;

See? Don't you feel all better now?

December 5, 2008 6:42:14 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

You won't have any luck trying to flame me.

If you weren't so dam loud that even you know it's true, you wouldn't feel the need to go after things has "F*CK YOU" has I wasn't aggressive to you or even wanted to make references in the post. Also is contraditory you to be telling me to grow up when you make a post like that. I'm pointing something I see has wrong and would not feel confortable about in a "company material"-player way if players could be attended to their wishes using of that sort of thing. I'm calling for what is happening. A note of restrictions for company flexibility regarding to player interference would be nice if to help avoid even that excessive behavior.

December 5, 2008 7:56:56 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting FlyGuy7,
You won't have any luck trying to flame me.

If you weren't so dam loud that even you know it's true, you wouldn't feel the need to go after things has "F*CK YOU" has I wasn't aggressive to you or even wanted to make references in the post. Also is contraditory you to be telling me to grow up when you make a post like that. I'm pointing something I see has wrong and would not feel confortable about in a "company material"-player way if players could be attended to their wishes using of that sort of thing. I'm calling for what is happening. A note of restrictions for company flexibility regarding to player interference would be nice if to help avoid even that excessive behavior.
Ach, I'm not sure if it's me you're taking too serious, or yourself.

We need a funny-bone transplant, STAT!

December 5, 2008 8:01:53 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Well maybe that bear cavalry stuff should be more considered as a "running joke" on the forums between some veterans and not something that important FlyGuy.

December 5, 2008 8:02:34 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

FlyGuy, you are blowing things way out of proportion. For one, Luckmann's entire post was basically a joke. Don't take it so seriously.

Also, Stardock is not stupid. They aren't going to include something that has no place in the game regardless of how loud anyone is supporting it on the forums. Some sort of joke like this develops and pretty much all game forums. One of Stardock's other games (Sins of a Solar Empire) had a huge following of Space Ponies. In the end Stardock included Space Ponies as an easter egg (basically, a funny hidden feature that doesn't effect gameplay). They didn't make Space Ponies actual units or anything, because they had no place in the game.

If Stardock decides that Bear Cavalry have no place in the game, then they won't be in it - regardless of how many people want them on these forums. Stardock doesn't need you to babysit them. On the other hand, Bear Cavalry could actually make sense in the context of Elemental, so it is very possible that we will see them.

It's childish and silly to ask the developers not to include a feature just because there is a small (although it's not that small) but vocal group of supporters. If you don't want to see something in the game, then give a reason why having it would detract from the game. If you can't come up with anything, then sit down and be quiet...

December 5, 2008 8:21:54 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The three Elementeers fighting amongst themselves.

tut tut tut, this will not do....

Will S'partagnan arrive to united the feuding parties?

December 5, 2008 8:30:38 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Anomander,
The three Elementeers fighting amongst themselves.

tut tut tut, this will not do....

Will S'partagnan arrive to united the feuding parties?

LOL

December 5, 2008 9:06:04 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I like bears.

December 5, 2008 9:46:33 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Zubaz,
I like bears.

That may be so.... but have you tried riding one?

Its awful!!!

December 5, 2008 9:54:37 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Anomander,

That may be so.... but have you tried riding one?

Its awful!!!
Lies and slander! It's cuddly.

December 5, 2008 10:06:12 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Luckmann,

Lies and slander! It's cuddly.

It depends surely on your favored bear riding style....

I favor the horned saddle, with stirrup attachments. You on the otherhand obviously favor the 'White knuckle' shoulder haunch grip. I trained in that method for a week, but found it too hard on the neck.

December 5, 2008 10:20:09 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

If you don't want to see something in the game, then give a reason why having it would detract from the game. If you can't come up with anything, then sit down and be quiet...

Don't you get it? I valorize that they take idea from players if they are good or fit, just that it should be from a poll from the hugest number of players possible and not the ones that speak more. I'm just passing it has I don't think it would be fair and even a wrong route to take since that should not be incentived. I also want something, but I and many others could maybe be unheared since we don't make many threads about it and keep passing it every day.

@Cervomix, maybe.

But really, "Space Ponies" is a joke. It is "Space Ponies". But Bear is just the Bear.

I just don't see the fairness if that going to be taken because of that. I'm also going to pay the game's price, every cent of it. Of course the Stardock team is who will decide to take that that way or not, I'm opining only has of a future customer. I don't mind they choose to put a tiger if someone asked that and they liked, but a group asking something so much and be heared just for that, is unfair. I just want to know if that ever happens, if I can voice it, without having to be extreme over it, since thats not the way to go. Do not privilege those because they are being louder, its just that.

If something like that is ever going to be taken into consideration from players, give the right oportunity to everybody to choose. I wouldn't take the guess has if they would take that or not in that way, thats why I'm pointing it.

Understand, most won't have trouble accepting a Bear or a Big Feline. Its ok for most, but that don't mean, its what they really wish beyond all, like it is for those who spreaded it. But It might just pravail - or  sound like - has a general utmost wish, from forum loudness (repeating over, making topics and posts about it; exacly what a player that don't have the time and have manners on a forum, wouldn't do). Just warn, if that would ever feel needed with an apropriated place to everybody vote for and stand a chance. Thats all. From a crowd, it is always better and faithfull to decide a vote from the hands raised, not from the scream loudness of each part.

December 5, 2008 10:37:15 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

FlyGuy, I think you need to understand that Stardock is a big boy, and can take care of himself. And as long as that fact is true (and it is), what you are saying is that you don't like people talking about bear cavalery. Of some reason you have come to dislike the way bear cavalery is being talked about. So you are talking about a personal preference more than an actual community problem.

And what if it IS a community problem? I don't think so, I actually find it kinda insulting that you assume that everyone will be swept away by the bear cavalery propaganda, not able to think for ourselves under the massive pressure of Luckman and his propagand machine!

December 5, 2008 11:02:33 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting FlyGuy7,
I don't mind they choose to put a tiger if someone asked that and they liked

For the record, i already asked for tigers.

Stardock listens to their customers but they decide according to what they want. Ask in the Gal Civ II forum about multiplayer in that game and loud people... Well, you could ask here about there too, mind you.

December 5, 2008 11:19:35 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Anyway I ended. I'm not even wishing I could vote for anything, but point to never incentive the worse manners, look for what is fairer at least and never prejudicy or give less valor to those that have reasonable behavior but because of this won't appear to much and be spamming around. Still they are faithful too and are there. That should never happen.

December 5, 2008 11:23:27 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Considering that Brad has repeatedly remarked on designing for the most vocal instead of the entire potential market (re: crysis, among others) I think we're safe.

That said:

Sandworm Cavalry!

(sorry, couldn't resist)

December 5, 2008 11:39:54 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Wow.  I thought the bear cavalry stuff was mostly light-hearted fun among forumers alongside a legitimate request.  I never would have thought someone would view it as a problem.

This is a minor "issue" that highlights the nature of forums- there will always be loud people for both minor and major issues.  Stardock realizes this (how long have they had forums now?) and so do the other forumers.  But, without loud people, some really good, positive changes wouldn't happen.  I realize more and more that the saying "The squeaky wheel gets oiled" is true when it comes to issues.  It's up to Stardock's judgement on whether those loud items are worthwhile or not.  And I think they have a really good grasp on this already.

If you don't like what someone is posting, say so in a construtive way.  Or talk to SD about it.  Or stop reading.

December 5, 2008 12:25:00 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Anomander,
Quoting Luckmann, reply 16
It depends surely on your favored bear riding style....

I favor the horned saddle, with stirrup attachments. You on the otherhand obviously favor the 'White knuckle' shoulder haunch grip. I trained in that method for a week, but found it too hard on the neck.

I actually favor the bear chariot, 4 bears in a row in front of you mowing down anything in your path whilst you sit comfortably behind in your chariot. A chariot that can be modified with a comfy chair, maby a dynamo attached to the weels for your mini tv and fridge. Ahh, cold beer cavalery!

December 5, 2008 1:03:51 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Eplekongen,

I actually favor the bear chariot, 4 bears in a row in front of you mowing down anything in your path whilst you sit comfortably behind in your chariot. A chariot that can be modified with a comfy chair, maby a dynamo attached to the weels for your mini tv and fridge. Ahh, cold beer cavalery!

Oh christ, a Charioteer has arrived.... yeah we've seen you guys at the stables, with your flame daubed chariots and whip fetishes.

We traditionalists laugh as we pass you in battle... only to be waved down by another one of your comrades.

"Hey pal got a jack, I've thrown a wheel"

Live in the now Charioteers... if the Gods wanted us to use wheels, why did they invent BEARS!!!!!

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000953   Page Render Time: