New Star Trek Trailer

By on November 17, 2008 10:50:29 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Chip5541

Join Date 03/2005
+2
Locked Post 67 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
November 18, 2008 6:45:06 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Speaking of ST, Has any one made a good ST mod.  Sins w/ TNG skins would be the proverbial poo.

November 18, 2008 7:54:18 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I am one of those 40+ year old trekkies. However i am not afraid of change like the other die hards are.

That is what this is all about is change. The die hards are afraid of change. They want to keep the original series in the 1960's with the lightbulb and twist knob cardboard control panels. They want to keep the matt painting backgrounds with the styrofoam bolders. They want to keep the The bad SFX, the cheese, and the camp, and Shat's overacting.

It is ironic that fans demand new Star Trek, and when it happens they nit pick and bash the hell out of it when one smidge of canon is stretched and/or ignored. I have been a big advocate of "modernizing" the original series. If i did the FX in the movie i would have done it a little differently, but that does not mean what has been done is not good. It is just different. That is what JJ Abrams is shooting for. Something completely different. IMO that is not a bad thing.

You obviously have not seen the Sacrifice of Angels 2 mod have you?

November 18, 2008 9:00:51 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The trailer looked excellent despite my dislike of the new ship, and the Abercrombie and Finch models....err i mean the new crew.

All of those new actors are good actors...so it won't be their fault if the movie is bad.   Yeah, Time Travel seems to be everybodies thing now.  You can't seem to have a SciFi without it.

November 18, 2008 9:33:33 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Speaking of ST, Has any one made a good ST mod. Sins w/ TNG skins would be the proverbial poo.

Well, Major Stress tried to do one....

November 18, 2008 9:57:29 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Major Stress,
You obviously have not seen the Sacrifice of Angels 2 mod have you?

Shameless plug! You da' man! Seriously it is a great mod for Sins.

On the topic in general, I like Major Stress am one of the "original" and dare I say "hard core" fans of all things ST. I'm also one of those willing to give it a fair shake. With that said, I would have preferred if they went forward in time instead of back in time for this movie. I think doing so would have been the best thing to do if the story was a great one. Retelling the TOS crew's story is more of a marketing ploy in my book to be frank.

November 18, 2008 11:03:03 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

What you described of DS9 is not something "new", it the same old thing, but with a different sugar coating. TNG tackled the same topic which is DS9 main topic, the darker setting.

Star Trek has lasted something like 700+ hours of Television. In that time, you're going to touch on a lot of stuff.

There's a big difference between touching on something and going in-depth.

My point is this: "Star Trek" means something. Like any adaptation of a work, you need to keep the meaning of it intact in the re-telling. The Lord of the Rings films changed many things: dialogue, character interactions, etc. But they kept to the true meaning and intent behind the original books, which is why they work very well as an adaptation.

Star Trek means something. So any film, TV series, etc. that bears that name needs to keep to the essential meaning of it. You can change the look of ships, technology, and the crew, as was done between TOS and TNG; that's all well and good. But you need to keep the sense of what Star Trek means alive. Otherwise, you're just stealing the name as a marketing gimmick.

Even Batman & Robin, horrible film though it was, kept to the essential nature of the character. Well, a version of the character; yes, the comic Batman was at one time very much like that presented in B&R. All I ask is that this movie that bears the Star Trek name keep to the essential nature of the series that came before it.

And, BattleStar Galactica? It doesn't keep to the nature of its originating series. But it's better for it, since the original BSG wasn't that great of a series. It had its moments, but it wasn't all that. The new BSG takes the setting and a few elements from the series and charts its own course.

The die hards are afraid of change. They want to keep the original series in the 1960's with the lightbulb and twist knob cardboard control panels. They want to keep the matt painting backgrounds with the styrofoam bolders. They want to keep the The bad SFX, the cheese, and the camp, and Shat's overacting.

I can't speak of anyone else, but as far as I'm concerned, TOS can be bruied in a shallow grave. I liked it when I was, like, 10. But my greatest emotional connection with Star Trek is TNG and DS9.

I never wanted them to revisit the TOS era. As far as I'm concerned, what is interesting is the future of Star Trek, not its past.

Too many people put TOS on some kind of pedestal, as though it were the pinnacle of all greatness or something. It was a good show, but it was inconsistent: truly great works of TeleVision art would air alongside utter drek like "Spock's Brain" and so forth. Not that TNG and DS9 were innocent of putting out horrors ("Profit and Lace"...), but the average was clearly better.

So from the beginning, this film gets a strike from me. They should have gone with an all-original cast in a new time setting, not redoing old stuff that should be left in the past. This just makes Star Trek look old (not to mention the fact that ST was at its most popular during the heyday of Next-Gen, not TOS, so they're stealing from the wrong place).

Strike 2 is what the trailer shows: nobody acts like the characters they're portraying in TOS. The look of the sets and so forth is entirely irrelevant next to the fact that the characters aren't right. TOS, ultimately, is about 3 characters; everyone who is not Kirk, Spock, or McCoy is a glorified extra. If you don't get these characters right, you fail at making a version of TOS.

They failed. Spock does not sound like Spock, nor does he act like Spock. Kirk is way over-the-top (and he's supposed to be a cadet that somehow ends up in charge of the ship? Did StarFleet lose their minds?). We didn't see enough of Bones in the trailer to know.

Now, I freely admit that the trailer may not be the best way to tell these kinds of subtle character details. But this is the trailer they made! They're telling us what they want to tell us. So if there is actual good characterization going on, they're doing a poor job of letting us know that.

Strike 3 is the direction/cinematograpy. Not the construction of the sets and such, but the camera moves. They simply look terrible. Too much clippy-editing style that the thrice-cursed Michael Bay brought us. Too much "twist the camera at a 60 degree angle for no real reason" nonsense that needs to be buried a the shallow grave right beside "bullet time." In short, it is not directed in a way that I want to see any movie directed in.

Three strikes and you're out.

It is ironic that fans demand new Star Trek, and when it happens they nit pick and bash the hell out of it when one smidge of canon is stretched and/or ignored.

No, what's ironic is that nobody (or, at least, nobody here) is doing any of that, yet people keep saying that they are.

November 19, 2008 5:09:55 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

No, what's ironic is that nobody (or, at least, nobody here) is doing any of that, yet people keep saying that they are.

Close your eyes and pretend its all a bad dream................thats how you go by, right?

November 19, 2008 5:24:27 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I think the trailer looks pretty awesome.  The only comments I have is the background "Enterprise" under construction looked kinda like an art backdrop, not a ship.  I think they made good choices with the actors, they have an all star cast, and I can see how many of them would work.

It IS in fact a reboot.....so things will be different, but that is ok.

November 21, 2008 2:53:28 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I'm going to watch this in theatres when it comes out.

Star Trek rules.

November 21, 2008 10:49:10 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Even though it seems to be a movie of the new era (le sight) it actually looks like a good movie in it's own right. Based of the trailer.

*drools*

November 21, 2008 11:19:37 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Will Spock forego his Vulcan Mind Pinch in favor of his new power inthis movie?  The one where he cuts open your forehead and reads your brain to gain your superability.  If he can catch Kirk off his guard, he can steal his superpower of making women powerless when he isnt wearing a shirt... 

November 21, 2008 12:07:12 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Sylar doesn't even have to do that now.  He just hugs people and gives them warm fuzzies while he takes their power. 

November 21, 2008 12:15:30 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

[quote]What you described of DS9 is not something "new", it the same old thing, but with a different sugar coating.[quote]

Um, no.  DS9 is a completely different animal from any other ST series.  Serial styled storytelling, darking setting, and focus on one stable location rather than the traditional exploration base all set it aside.  Most of the aliens they dealt with were different to, with the Cardasians and the Breen getting a new focus.  All in all the result is something new that happens to take place in the same universe.  Hardly a different sugar coating.

November 21, 2008 4:33:28 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

All I want to know is if Abrams is going to put in that "Kirk fight music" in this remake.

You know the one: "Da-Da-DAAHH-DAAHH-DAAHH-DAAHH-DAAHH-DAH-DaDa-Dah!"

I'd pay $10 to see that again.

November 21, 2008 4:54:39 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I've followed the whole Trek universe for many years & J.J.Abrams feature film looks 'promising'.

Ever since Paramount staff & ownership insisted on developping after_the_fact_movies with the TNG actors, producing a pre-quel with Enterprise (Bakula is a great actor but the entire premise is by nature, somehow boring) and putting a 'static' crew in a station (DS9)... it went downward from there -- to me! Too bad, baby.

Where's Kirk daring sense of seekout new life &...? - ya know the drill.

Star Trek is about *Space exploration* and multiple Sci-Fi subjects -- that's IT. Nothing else.

In all objectivity, they should seriously consider applying the famous formula to themselves; to boldly GO..!

Away, into the VERY far future (beyond dozens if not hundreds of Milleniums from whatever Stardates they believe should be the starting point in time, Milky Way all but explored (Nothing else to discover or justifiably fight for, btw), step out in the local cluster of Galaxies (go get the Nacene lifeforms -- VOY's Caretaker), live as omnipotent beings and break any of the barriers (immortality, anyone?) of our reality (physical, esotheric, time, dimensions, etc).

Otherwise, their usual recipe is stirred enough. Ship goes to space, finds an enemy, fights back, returns, ticker parade. Loop as often as necessary. American glory demonstrated -- We know the drill.

But, this is about Humanity - isn't it?

On TeeVee, now.

November 21, 2008 5:17:32 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I really don't like this trailer. The ridiculously fast "music", sparse dialogue, and flashes of combat (which didn't give me a sense of what was going on) make it seem like yet another adreneline-filled action-fest, and nothing like ST.

And what's with the car in the opening shot? It looks like a 50's Cadilac. Don't get me wrong, I love those, but isn't this movie set in the future?

November 21, 2008 5:55:18 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Homsar,

The car is a Corvette (Stingray, possibly).

What the trailer shows is the usual "Character expositions" sequences meant to introduce all important crew names by progressive flashback tricks into their childhood... and, fills up screen time to absorb a thin plot like any good director does when they must stick to a bare-bone script.

Hopefully we've seen enough of the Abram's fireworks and that this production (as a whole) will provide meat with CONSIDERABLY more appealing content than such a spectacular stunt.

They certainly do NOT want to put Trekkers in an adversive mood beforehand - since they are, in fact, the essential market for ANY given Star Trek movie.

I went beyond Cinema - and if what i read (a few weeks back from Piller & gang) is real we may just yet get another TeeVee show. They even got one of my scripts - should they ever need inspiration.

November 21, 2008 6:32:52 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

There's change and then there's emo.

I want better looking ships and special effects from the modern age, as opposed to the sixties.  I also want the tacky side of Star Trek gone, the tribbles episode was ok, but the ones that go further than that need to be forgotten.  If you want to laugh away monsters, go drop acid.

On the other hand, I'm getting really tired of emo remakes.  This obsession with flawed heroes is getting old.  Everyone is flawed, everyone is not flawed in some massively obvious, in your face way.  Everyone isn't gay, tranny, drunk, slutty, whatever.  Most people don't try to kill their neighbors the first time they hear a noise, screw the secretary and babysitter, drink themselves into a stupor every night, or cry themselves to sleep because dolphins get caught in fishing nets.  If Kirk and Spock are yet another two guys with severe size issues that have emotional instability up the ass and couldn't get along with a rock, I'm going to add the guy to my hitlist I'm too lazy to ever start working on.

The trailer kinda makes it seem that way, and it's fucking depressing.  Especially since the not so emo looking ship is fucking outstanding.

November 21, 2008 7:54:15 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

William Shanter responds to the New Star Trek Trailer

Responce:

November 21, 2008 7:59:27 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting General Homsar,
I really don't like this trailer. The ridiculously fast "music", sparse dialogue, and flashes of combat (which didn't give me a sense of what was going on) make it seem like yet another adreneline-filled action-fest, and nothing like ST.

QFT

I was cautiously optimistic about the movie until I saw the second trailer.  Now I'm more than half-expecting/dreading that it will be a steaming pile of spunk. 

November 21, 2008 9:17:58 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

1.  I'm excited because it's Star Trek.

+

2.  I think it'll be a good movie because it's J.J.

=Should be a cool Star Trek movie.

BUT, I would've actually preferred to see straight-to-video or TV movies of DS9 or Voyager before this.  I really don't understand the reboot thing from a storytelling standpoint.  It's obvious why they're doing it since it has worked so well for Batman, 007, etc.  But how will they start a new TV series based on the success of this?  This cast will not do TV.  They may be on for a couple more movies, but I'm stumped as to how this will even help the franchise get back on TV again.  That's what really disappoints me about the new Star Trek.

November 21, 2008 9:27:08 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I for one want a spin off series based on the Romulans! Then maybe one focusing on the Klingons! Those series could interact at different points.

November 21, 2008 10:57:26 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I like movies with lasers and such. Looks good to me. I liked the original but so long as the new one is entertaining and has lots of lasers and such I'll be happy.

November 22, 2008 12:31:21 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

It looks like a 50's Cadilac.

Lol, Cadillacs are HUGE!  I am pretty sure it was a 60's Corvette roadster as well.  And yeah, little JT is obviously driving an antique car off a cliff.  This was a training run for Driving the Enterprise into a planet in Star Trek III.

I for one want a spin off series based on the Romulans! Then maybe one focusing on the Klingons! Those series could interact at different points.

Hehe, a Klingon series would be cool...every episode, they encounter some new alien race, mock their puny combat abilities, and occasionally destroy them in battle.

November 22, 2008 11:19:15 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I've always wanted to see a Klingon movie, spoken 100% in Klingon and done like a three hour battle epic!  That would be amazing.  I think a whole series of Klingons would get old though.  They don't have much depth of character y'know.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000281   Page Render Time: