Gamespot Interview with Brad on Elemental!

By on November 11, 2008 10:46:16 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums External Link

Annatar11

Join Date 11/2006
+527

Click on the external link for a very informative read

Locked Post 63 Replies +2
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
November 11, 2008 11:12:24 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Beat me to it! Karma

On a side note, I really like the artistic style of the trailer.

November 12, 2008 2:34:55 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Gamespot,
There will be naval battles, but we don't plan on them [being] tactical in nature like the land battles, as most of the action will take place on land.

Nooo, wrong inspiration from the Total War games.

Quoting Gamespot,
Moreover, the game resources--food, stone, wood, and iron--aren't beholden to the city that has the tile on the particular resource. Rather, players can build caravans to transfer a unit of food, stone, etc. to other cities (and you see these caravans go back and forth on the map). So players can literally lay siege to a city and simply block these caravans from reaching the city and without these resources, a city could starve or be unable to grow or be unable to create weapons and so forth.

Interesting.

Quoting Gamespot,
but players who are expecting to build armies of unicorns in their city or whatever will be disappointed. There aren't any gryphon aviaries and such for you. It's 99 percent men versus men (or fallen). Getting a magical creature in your army is a rare but big deal.

Nooo, why do you hate me Brad, why!?!

What did those poor valkyries ever do to you?

Quoting Gamespot,
In hindsight, it's probably best it worked out the way it did. Stardock wasn't nearly as well known back in 2005 or so, when we were pursuing that, so I think Elemental will be able to stand on its own. I hope/think strategy gamers trust us enough to know that we're going to take a lot of care of the game we're making. We're in this for the long haul.

But I still  you for that.

PS. Very informative interview.

PPS. QQing is fun.

November 12, 2008 2:38:08 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The trailer is just ... wow ..

About the interview I have a question :

First they said you can imbue power to you rheroes.

Second they say you earn a fraction of the experience earned by your heroes.

SO ... won't be the "I split my power between lots of heroes" be the alph an domega of strategy? Because you'll become immensely powerfull really quickly.

For instance you have 4 heroes, then you earn 4 times as much xp than a sovereign with only one heroe (and even if your sovereign is weaker)

November 12, 2008 2:46:21 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

For instance you have 4 heroes, then you earn 4 times as much xp than a sovereign with only one heroe (and even if your sovereign is weaker)

In the long run, perhaps. In the short run I'll kill your sovereign easily with my more powerful one.

So on a large map it may be a good idea while on a small map it could mean death. It all depends though on how much essence you would lose permanently. Is it just a one time cost, or is it a percentage so that you'll miss it even after some level ups?

November 12, 2008 4:24:36 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yes that would let some kind of tight window to attack me. But in the medium and long run it can be really really powerful. But hopefully it can be balanced with how many xp you get from your heroes or the cost on enligntening your heroes

November 12, 2008 6:45:39 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I actually like that. It's bothered me in games like HOMM/King's Bounty (I haven't played the original MoM, gasp!) that you basically just get random creatures in your army like it's no big deal. My army in King's Bounty can easily kill dragons by the 10s in a single combat turn.

I think it'll be much more interesting if the magical creatures are actually, you know, magical - that is, rare but actually powerful!

November 12, 2008 6:58:39 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Vandenburg,

In the short run I'll kill your sovereign easily with my more powerful one.

You don't even have to do that. Just kill his heroes with your sovereign. You get experience for killing them and he has spent magical essence on heroes who are now dead.

Of course. If you stick your head out to kill enemy heroes you might just lose it. Should be fun.   

November 12, 2008 7:23:05 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting vieuxchat,
Not really; you earn a fraction of the hero's xp. The main advantage of heros is that they can be in different places, while your sovereign can only participate in one battle.

November 12, 2008 9:37:47 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Annatar11,

I actually like that. It's bothered me in games like HOMM/King's Bounty (I haven't played the original MoM, gasp!) that you basically just get random creatures in your army like it's no big deal. My army in King's Bounty can easily kill dragons by the 10s in a single combat turn.

I think it'll be much more interesting if the magical creatures are actually, you know, magical - that is, rare but actually powerful!

I'll just miss my winged steeds.

But yeah, it's an interesting turning away from the usual fantasy settings which are a mix of random creatures from every mythology known to mankind. I just wonder if it will be possible for modders to add flying creatures if StarDock doesn't deliver any with the game and could thus make the creation of them very hard or not satisfactorly possible.

It sounds somewhat novel, which is a suprising feat to do in the tired clichés of fantasy settings.

Edit:

Words from the trailer, make with them what you want:

...ern mountains

Temple of Ithilwayn

Darkwood

Tomb of the Forgotten King

The Eversa....

...encient's Fortress

Emperor's Palace

Troops were sent to defend...

...without a writ of passage...

Phoenix Arrows

Risen Soldiers

Oxyx Armor

Primal Bear

Archers

Ebbenwolf

Guardian Wolf

Iron Golem

Plains Dragon

Dragon Spear

Death Widow

Btw. I like the music of the railer, sounds good. Better then the usual pseudo epic orchestral music.

PS. Using the same screenshots which were allready shown for the trailer is cheating.

November 12, 2008 10:12:38 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Dragons are neutral. They're not on your side unless you can recruit them. And they're not easy to recruit; your sovereign (your player character) might have to negotiate with them in person which, as you can imagine, is very risky, but the reward is very high. .

I just LOVE that idea. To actually go and negociate with a dragon is incredible!

I wonder who is more powerful at the start of a game. Dragon or the channeler?

November 12, 2008 10:21:20 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

@Vandenburg - plus one karma for taking the time to write down the words from the trailer. I thought about doing it myself looking for Easter eggs and other such things but I did not have the time.

November 12, 2008 10:40:39 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

PS. Using the same screenshots which were allready shown for the trailer is cheating.
We made the trailer while organizing the screenshots (before anything was announced), thinking they were all going out at the same time   I promise more action in Trailer #2  (due around Beta1's release).

I wonder who is more powerful at the start of a game. Dragon or the channeler?
I beleive most dragons are CONSIDERABLY more powerful than your starting channeler.

November 12, 2008 11:08:22 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I love the music on that trailer . . . it's a little eerie, a little haunting, very fresh, and perfectly fitting for a fantasy game 

November 12, 2008 11:10:51 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'll just miss my winged steeds.

Didn't Brad mention sticking knights on gryphons in the unit design mechanics in some thread?

November 12, 2008 11:11:32 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

We made the trailer while organizing the screenshots (before anything was announced), thinking they were all going out at the same time   I promise more action in Trailer #2  (due around Beta1's release).

So you're saying we'll have to wait 8 months for another trailer? Barricade the doors, an angry mob will be there shortly.

At least give us more screenies!

November 12, 2008 11:14:54 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Great trailer and interview. This game is looking awesome.  

November 12, 2008 12:30:11 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Trailer?  I missed the trailer?

Edit:

Meh, I wants more!

November 12, 2008 1:37:42 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'll have to check the trailer when I get home.

November 12, 2008 2:55:16 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Ok, I think I need to pony up and pre-order.  That way if I get laid off next year it's already paid for and I've got something to play while collecting unemployment. 

November 12, 2008 2:57:35 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

A great plan, but you don't actually pay until you get the beta key. So if possible, try to time getting fired so that you do get it first

November 12, 2008 4:11:27 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Getting a magical creature in your army is a rare but big deal.

I really like that concept. As Annatar mentioned earlier, it was pretty lame in HOMM when you sent a dragon out to fight and it died you could be like 'Aw shoot. Well, lemmie just go raise another ten. That'll teach 'em.' It should be a huge deal to get a dragon or 'Guardian Wolf' to join up with your forces. That way you could create hypothetical situations like:

"Alright, let's go tear up this Channeler's army and... oh #$%# he's got Norgoth the Green Dragon, Terror of the East!"

I also like the focus on men and 'fallen' (whatever those are ) over the traditional 'high fantasy'-esque races. Gives Stardock a lot more flexibility in designing a story without having to worry about 'What? Elves are evil? That unpossible!' and other preconceptions. And for those who it bothers, you can create and share your own races which'll be a huge draw to the game.

November 12, 2008 4:29:14 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

99% humans. Hmm, we've heard there will be hundreds of units in battle at the same time, but still, 1% fantasy seems just a little bit too harsh and restrictive. I like the idea to focus the game on humans, but I really hope that the game will still revolve around magic and monsters and not only around who has the highest skill in forging swords.

November 12, 2008 9:34:13 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It does seem a bit silly that in a magical world you wouldn't have more magical troops.  Then again, if the world is just now beginning to be re-populated it makes sense only a few non-human, magical races would have survived.  And those that did would be tough!

I'm OK with the concept of only a few magical units, but having an option to increase or decrease the likelihood of there being recruitable non-human units would be sweet.  Something like the following when you create a new game-

Magic abundance:

• Rare
  • Uncommon
  • Common
  • Plentiful

This would allow you to play more tactical, unit-based games versus a high magic, uber-fantasy world.  I think that would be pretty easy to implement and add a lot of variety to game play.

November 12, 2008 9:34:23 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting the Gorgon,
99% humans. Hmm, we've heard there will be hundreds of units in battle at the same time, but still, 1% fantasy seems just a little bit too harsh and restrictive. I like the idea to focus the game on humans, but I really hope that the game will still revolve around magic and monsters and not only around who has the highest skill in forging swords.

I kinda like the concept of it being 99% humans.  I'm hoping the big part of the monsters/fantasy units is in your interactions with the environment.  Maybe I've just played too many games where the makeup of your army is mostly fantasy creatures and a change from that will be refreshing.  

Although I think in the end, everyone's going to win, as it seems the game will be customizable enough to make the game however you want it (I hope).

November 12, 2008 11:43:51 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

SO ... won't be the "I split my power between lots of heroes" be the alph an domega of strategy? Because you'll become immensely powerfull really quickly.

The interview says that investing some of your essence into making a tile suitable for a city results in a permanent loss in your total essence.  Perhaps investing your essence in a hero results in a similar loss.  You may get more more XP, but there may be some other aspect of you that's been permanently diminished by doing so.

99% humans.

I like it.  It's a nice change from the usual game in the genre where armies resemble zoos more than actual armies.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001016   Page Render Time: